Posts Made By: Chris Nisbet

September 29, 2002 11:03 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Rigid Aluminum Dew Shield

Posted By Chris Nisbet

If anybody is looking for a rigid aluminum dew shield, the place to go is Astrozap. I just received mine for my C-11 and I can't tell you how pleased I am with it. It is very well contructed, goes on and off easy, has a black felt lined interior and it looks great too! I am one of those people who couldn't stand the flexible dew caps and have waited a long time for someone to come out with a decent, rigid dew cap. These should be standard equipment. I know the rigid one costs more but it is worth every dollar I spent.

Chris
Cedar,MN

November 10, 2002 11:34 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Lumicon Temp Probe for Hyper Kit Question

Posted By Chris Nisbet

Has anybody had trouble with the 50 degree temp probe that goes with the Model 300 hyper kit? I am on my second one in 5 years and that one has now apparently failed. It has not been dropped or otherwise abused.

Since Lumicon is now out of business and I may not be able to get a replacement probe, anybody else want to share with me on how they regulate the temperature for hypering film?

Thanks

Chris

November 28, 2002 01:01 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Lumicon Temp Probe for Hyper Kit Question

Posted By Chris Nisbet

The 50 degree temp probe for my Model 300 hyper kit has failed again (second one in 5 years, no idea why). With Lumicon out of business, can anybody tell me how they would regulate the temperature without this probe? Or better yet, where can I get a replacement?

Lost without my hypered Tech Pan

Chris

January 19, 2003 01:57 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Diaganol Dilema

Posted By Chris Nisbet

This subject has probably been hashed many times before and I don't want to start a long thread, but here goes. Cleaned out my garage and sold a bunch of stuff on eBay for the first time (it's amazing what people will buy!) and now I am going to purchase a premium 2" diaganol (Maxbrite or Everbrite) for my C-11 Ultima fitted with a JMI NGF-S focuser. Any thoughts on which one to get? I keep waivering between both.

Chris

March 1, 2003 12:14 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

C11 Astrophoto w/ST4 Set Up Help

Posted By Chris Nisbet

Ok, here is the deal. I have a C11 Ultima, an ST4 autoguider and a Firstscope 80 (f/11 I believe). If I use the 80 with the ST4 as a guidescope on the C11 at prime focus, will that combo provide the accuracy needed to produce nice round star images? Also, can anybody recommend what the settings should be on the ST4?

Thanks Chris

April 13, 2003 11:28 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Help w/ ST4

Posted By Chris Nisbet

I recently aquired a used ST4 and have been having trouble getting the thing to work. Last night (since it was warm here) I was bound and determined to get it to work since I had all night if I needed to. I read the manual again and was going to use Wil Milan's article as my step by step guide. Got everything hooked up and plugged in the camera to start the cool down process. According to Milan's guide the head is cooled down when the X and Y values flash zeros. After a few minutes, only zeroes flashed. After 10 mimutes, random numbers were starting to appear in those X & Y values although not all the time. The entire time the guider head was capped and in a black bag so I don't think (or know how) light could have reached the head. There is where I stopped for the night. Is this normal for the X&Y values to display those random numbers?

Chris

April 19, 2003 04:44 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Tuthill Polar Axis Finder Question

Posted By Chris Nisbet

I noticed that the scale on my bracket is not oriented exactly N and S with the bracket (0 degrees in not parallel with the bracket). It is off by about three degrees. Is this right or should 0 and 180 degrees be straight up and down?

Chris

June 21, 2004 02:04 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Spectra Sure Sharp vs STI

Posted By Chris Nisbet

I have an old but fuctional Sure Sharp focusing aid that I use on my C11 for focusing an OM1. I was considering buying the Pro Stilletto focusing aid. Before I do I would like to know if there is any advantage to the Stilletto or should I continue to use the Sure Sharp? Sure Sharp works fine but is sometimes awkward to use depending on where the scope is pointing.

January 5, 2005 11:32 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

The Demise of Tech Pan

Posted By Chris Nisbet

I was shocked to read the Focal Point article in the February 2005 S&T about Kodak not making Tech Pan film anymore. As the owner of a 5.5" and 8" Celestron Schmidt Camera's I am now in mourning. Those cameras combined with that hypered film always produced spectacular results. I have stocked up and made room in the freezer for a bulk roll of Tech Pan. Am I the last person to left that has not gone digital? (Photo made with 5.5" Schmidt, hypered Tech Pan, scan from print with no digital manipulation)

Chris
MN

March 3, 2005 08:05 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Selecting a CCD Camera

Posted By Chris Nisbet

OK, I might finally have to give up on film (Tech Pan discontinued). Now the question of what CCD camera to consider. I have a 1992 C11 and C8 Ultima in an observatory. What SBIG camera set up should I consider for these instruments? How do you determine what are the correct camera specifications for these instruments? Any help would be appreciated.

Chris