Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Andromeda Galaxy M31

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Lee Spain

July 24, 2006 05:22 PM Forum: Politics

Has anyone noticed...

Posted By Lee Spain

...that Israel's invasion of Lebanon has sparked less protest than the Danish publication of cartoons? wink

August 12, 2006 10:08 AM Forum: Politics

Peace Shopping

Posted By Lee Spain

It looks like peace will break out in the Mideast sometime in the next 3 to 7 days. Since they won't be holding hands and singing kumbaya, it must mean that both sides are running low on stuff to kill each other with. It will be time for them to go shopping. What will they buy and what will their benefactors give them?

August 12, 2006 10:35 AM Forum: Sports

Auburn University mascots make no sense!

Posted By Lee Spain

College football is almost ready to start again so it's time to address a question that's been bugging me for a long time. Why do the Auburn Tigers have an eagle as a mascot? It makes no danged sense. Since LSU, Auburn, and Clemson are all tigers in this part of the country, I think Auburn should just pick an entirely new mascot. Maybe they should become the Armadillos? It has a certain ring to it... wink

August 12, 2006 09:38 PM Forum: Politics

Mike Tyson and International Terror

Posted By Lee Spain

If I have a murderous blind hatred of Mike Tyson the boxer under what circumstances am I more likely to act on my hatred?

A) When I know I can go up to Mike Tyson and slap him in the face and he can only slap me back as hard as I slapped him initially because the cops are standing by to step in a seperate us.

B) When I can slap Mike Tyson, but he is free to hit me back, rearrange my face, break all of my ribs, and then come to my house to destroy all my furniture and eat my family pet in the fracas.

I submit that I am much more likely to smack Mike Tyson when I can expect scenario 'A' rather than scenario 'B.'

Further, the world community has to live with lots of terrorism because it allows response 'A' and frowns on response 'B'. And, the world of response 'A' is much more violent in the long run because terrorists and their sponsor states can strike with relative impunity forever. :S

[Note to Mike Tyson - I'm just using you for the purposes of argument. Do not come to my house. wink ]

August 14, 2006 08:31 PM Forum: Politics

Ssssshhhh! There's a ceasefire in effect!

Posted By Lee Spain

It's quiet in here. Too quiet. wink I bet Jim Rosenstock is secretly building Nukes and Don Dickenson is out buying rockets. wink I'm not worried though. I'm building up a fearsome analogy stockpile. grin

So...um...like... when's the international force going to come and put a new thread up to separate all us combatants. grin

August 15, 2006 04:16 PM Forum: Sports

Will Post-Toyota NASCAR stink?

Posted By Lee Spain

I don't know if I like the idea of expanding NASCAR beyond the traditional big three automakers. When Toyota enters NASCAR will Hyundai be far behind? Will Post-Toyota NASCAR stink?

August 15, 2006 06:22 PM Forum: Politics

Peacenik Challenge

Posted By Lee Spain

Now that a ceasefire is in place, please outline your policies for fashioning a compromise with Syrian president Bashar Al-Assad?

Here is his most recent quote:
"We tell them (Israelis) that after tasting humiliation in the latest battles, your weapons are not going to protect you -- not your planes, or missiles or even your nuclear bombs ... The future generations in the Arab world will find a way to defeat Israel."

As a bonus challenge:

How would you make a lasting peace with President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran who has called the Holocaust a myth and who has called for Israel to be wiped off the map?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4378948.stm
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/12/14/iran.israel/index.html

August 16, 2006 10:29 PM Forum: Politics

What would happen if....

Posted By Lee Spain

...Israel became the 51st American state?** grin

It's late. It's crazy. But, just think if Israel were protected by NATO, the ACLU, and our nuclear umbrella... wink

[SIZE="Small"]** All proud peace loving people are encouraged to reply.[/SIZE]

August 20, 2006 08:06 AM Forum: Sports

Soccer - Stoppage Time

Posted By Lee Spain

Our cable system has recently added the Fox Soccer Channel, so I've been watching a little bit out of curiosity. I have come to the conclusion that "stoppage time" is lame. You watch a game (o.k. part of a game), you watch the clock, you think the game is over in 10 seconds, and then --once the 90 minutes are up -- the game continues for some random time of about 2 to 4 minutes. When this happens, you simply watch and wonder why the heck they are still playing and when the game is going to end. The drama and suspense of a clock running out is replaced by the bizarre spectacle of a clock counting up. They soccer powers should steal a page from Hockey and track stoppage time like penalty/powerplay time in hockey. They should post the total amount of outtage time so fans know how much clock is being worked with and they should post the elapsed time so fans can watch the clock run down with certainty. :S

August 20, 2006 10:13 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

My "New" Spotting Scope

Posted By Lee Spain

Here is the "new" spotting scope that I built this weekend.

It has a circa 1951 Bulova M71D Objective Cell (30mm / 350 mm focal length), a .965-to-1.25 hybrid diagonal, and I use a 25mm or 10mm Explorer II for 14x and 35x.
The objective is on a slide that I can push in and out for focusing.

Because I built it myself, it features a ...uh...level of workmanship and quality that . . . uh . . . you just don't see any more. wink

It seems to work pretty well, but it is some kind of UGLY! shocked