My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Stuart St. Clair

November 6, 2002 12:16 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Equatorial Platform - Which Type?

Posted By Stuart St. Clair

I am planning to build an equatorial platform soon (as soon as I finish my latest dob). I have found a lot of good web pages about EQ platforms. I am learning that there are several different designs, but the two I see the most of are the cylindrical bearing design and the D'Autume variation on the Poncet design. I am hoping that someone out there with more knowledge on this than I can help me decide which design is better for me, so I can start focusing my planning. I want a platform that is as easy to build as possible and will provide tracking for visual use at up to something like 400x. I have no problem cutting precision circles in wood with a router and guide. Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this subject? Thanks.

November 21, 2002 10:12 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Televue 24mm Widefield

Does anyone know the eye relief on the old Televue 24mm Widefield eyepiece? Will I be able to use it with glasses? Thanks.

March 13, 2003 06:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Couch Potato Binocular Chair

I read the review of the couch potato binocular chair on cloudynights.com. Anybody out there used one of these? It looks like a great idea -- I'm thinking of getting one. The cloudynights review mentions some possible stability problems. Anybody who has used one of these have an opinion on the biggest binoculars that could be used without stability/vibration problems? Anybody have any ideas on increasing the stability? Any replies will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

May 3, 2003 06:36 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

FOV Question

I have read people writing on this forum that the maximum possible field of view in a 1 1/4" diameter eyepiece is 1.33 degrees. However, I also read people writing that they get FOVs above 3 degrees with low power 1 1/4" eyepieces in short focal ratio scopes. If both these statements are correct, can someone reconcile them for me?

July 7, 2003 12:02 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Fast Refractor

Do binoviewers work well with a fast refractor - something like a Stellarvue 80mm f/6? If so, are there any particular binoviewers that work better with such a scope? Or ones I should stay away from for such a scope? TIA.

September 24, 2003 06:53 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Sources for Binocular Collimation?

Does anybody have any suggestions about where I could send my binoculars to get them collimated. I am in California, so all other things being equal, West Coast locations are preferred.

April 1, 2004 11:47 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

California Opticians

Are there any recommendations out there for an optician in California (the closer to Fresno the better) to refigure a 12.5" f/5 mirror for me? I would rather drive it than ship it.

February 14, 2005 06:34 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Stellarvue 15x63

I'd like to hear from people who have tried these? Are they sharp? Are they a good buy? Thanks.

April 1, 2005 04:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mount for C9.25

I really want to get a C9.25 for it's great combination of aperture, optics, and relative portability. Mainly for the portability reason, I want to get the lightest mount that I can that will still provide reasonable stability. Lower cost doesn't hurt either. It doesn't have to be a go-to mount. Does anybody have any good suggestions for a mount?

April 13, 2005 03:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Laser-Pointer Go-To

I've heard of people putting a laser-pointer on a Go-To mounted scope, and then pointing a nearby scope to the same point in the sky using a Telrad. This got me thinking that I could put my Ranger on say a CG5-GT with a laser pointer, and use that for wide-field views of an object and also to help me point my 12.5" dob when I get it finished. Does anybody else out there view with this sort of setup? Does it work well?