My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Kerry Green

May 13, 2007 08:12 AM Forum: Telescope Making

First Light at last!

Posted By Kerry Green

Hi folks! I just finished my 16" Kriege and Berry style reflector and had it out last night for first light. I have to tell you the differences between this and my 8" are astounding! I have seen things that I never saw before! Galaxies simply abound at the eyepiece. I just aimed it in the vicinity of Leo and slewed around for a tour through the local universe. I have no idea what most of the galaxies are. M51 is amazing, did you know it actually has spiral structure? wink While looking for M81 and M82 I came upon some other smudge of light I assumed was a galaxy. In fact, I was disappointed when I saw it and thought it was M81 ("boy this scope really didn't make a difference," I thought). Now I'm ready to build a 30" 'scope!!!

Kerry D. Green

May 13, 2007 08:18 AM Forum: After Dark

Observing list for tonight?

Posted By Kerry Green

Does anyone have or know of a good list of several, 25-30, objects I can look at tonight or within the next month? I have a 16" reflector and basically want a star tour to use when I invite some folks over to view through it. I would like to practice finding the objects so I can go right to them when the party starts, I'd rather not have any lag time and cause my guests to get impatient. I'm looking for a mix of objects that will really impress first time observers. Thanks for your help in advance!

KDG

May 31, 2007 06:36 PM Forum: Star Parties

Heart of America Star Party

Posted By Kerry Green

Anyone have plans on attending the Heart of America Star Party? I plan on heading up Friday and Saturday nights. Just curious if anyone else will be there.

-KDG

August 28, 2007 07:52 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Need camera purchasing advice.

Posted By Kerry Green

Hi all,

I wasn't too sure where to place this thread. I'm looking to purchase a DSLR camera and I don't want to spend more thatn $700. I would like to do some wide field imaging and maybe some closeups of the moon. What camera should I go for?

Thanks in advance,

-KDG

August 29, 2007 08:57 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Need an answer

Posted By Kerry Green

Curious as to opinions. Gonna buy one or they other which:

Rebel XTI or 30D

I'm torn; what are the astronomical advantages of one over the other?

October 1, 2007 03:38 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Replacement Telrad Reticle

Posted By Kerry Green

Anyone know where I can get a replacement reticle for a telrad finder? I can't seem to find those that came with mine. I recently acquired a second Telrad and the reticle has a few solder burns on it. I really would like to replace it.

Thanks.

-KDG

October 4, 2007 11:16 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Overdone, but it is my first attempt

Posted By Kerry Green

Just took this tonight. M-31 using a Canon 30D at ISO800 and canon 70-300mm zoom lens set at 200mm and f/7.1. This is a stack of 4 120 sec subs. Unguided on a Losmandy GM-8 no flats, 5 darks. I am very happy with this camera. It makes it easy to do what i have always wanted to do!

-KDG

October 12, 2007 07:08 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Lagoon and Trifid

Posted By Kerry Green

Here's another decent image. My second so far. I'm really loving the Canon 30D. The subs were unguided and this is reflected in the final image stack. The wind didn't help either. I ended up with 9 usable frames out of the 20 I took. Okay, details:

Canon 30D (unmodified) @ ISO 800
Canon 75-300mm zoom lens @ 300mm & F/7.1
Losmandy GM-8, unguided and no PEC
Manual stack of nine 2min subs
All processing in Photoshop CS2.

Comments and suggestions please.

-KDG

October 16, 2007 07:52 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

ZS 80 II ED OTA

Posted By Kerry Green

Could anyone give me their personal experiences with using the zenithstar 80II ED for imaging? I'll be using DSLR for right now and was just curious. It seems pretty good, but I kinda wanted a little more aperature. The problem I seem to be having with my setup right now is coma at the long focal lengths of my canon zoom lens. 200mm is fine stoped down to f/7.1, but 300mm at f/8 still introduces a lot of coma (see my image of M8 and M20). I don't really want to stop it down any more.
Maybe a link to a site with astrophotos taken through this OTA?

Thanks,

-KDG

October 17, 2007 01:12 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

My First M42 ever

Posted By Kerry Green

Well Here it is, my first image of M42 and my 5th astrophoto ever. It seems like I should be able to bring out more detail but I am afraid of washing out the sky background.

Still lovin the 30D and GM-8!

21 minutes total exposure @ ISO800 using a Canon 75-300mm zoom at 300mm and f/8. Coma is still present and i believe i see chromatic aberations(?) It is interesting that my images of M31 at 200mm and f/7.1 do not exibit any signs of coma or chromatic abberation.

Processing was 100% photoshop, I did a quick job of it, and if I get time tonight, i will try to tweak it a bit.

Thanks for looking and any comments or suggestions!

-KDG