My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Scott Mitchell

August 24, 2008 12:30 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

I can't believe we did this!

Posted By Scott Mitchell

That would be pretty cool! I am jealous...

September 12, 2008 10:52 PM Forum: Eyepieces

cleaning eyepiece

Posted By Scott Mitchell

I believe that the Televue website has a good article on eyepiece cleaning...since they make them, I reckon they know how to clean them...

November 7, 2008 10:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

c8 vs 8" dob

Posted By Scott Mitchell

Make it 6 - zip

I've not had a lot of experiences with Cats so it is a limited experience sample from me (I'm sure they are fine instruments too)...but I have preferred the views from my humble dobsonian reflectors.

As an added bonus, I've felt very comfortable "tweaking" my dobs to suit my taste in terms of balance and handling.

November 7, 2008 10:28 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Determining Encoder Ticks

Posted By Scott Mitchell

Peter Glus said:

This may be a dumb question. I was trying to determine the encoder ticks on my new used mount (using the Argo Navis), and it appears that the DEC and RA encoders are different in tic count. Can this be true? I thought they had to be identical?

I don't know the answer directly but live just a short drive (okay 45 minutes) down the road from WildCard Innovations...just visit their website and drop Gary and e-mail. He is a super guy and provides great support, I am sure that he will answer your question (and then some).

March 14, 2009 02:16 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Best non-televue eyepiece collections

Posted By Scott Mitchell

I've been off-line for several weeks so I am a bit late with my response...

No TV- interesting question...To imagine such a thing is troubling...What other valuable things would be missing from this non-TV universe?

Seriously, I'd go with Pentax XW 30mm, 10mm, 7mm and the best barlow of your choice...
No barlow then I'd try and find one of the old Meade 14mm (the model escapes me but the "old" one)

April 5, 2009 02:54 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Ethos clone on the horizon

Posted By Scott Mitchell

Darren Drake said:

I was aware of this earlier today and thought it might be considered an April fools joke but now I see there is proof.
http://explorescientific.com/blog/2009/03/testing-prototype-100-series-14mm.html

How great is the internet?!?

For zero advertising cost this eyepiece has been introduced to a large percentage of the active amatuer astronomers around the world...It does not matter if you are for or against the eyepiece (cloned or not), we have all heard about it and will stand in line like lemmings to see if it works like an Ethos. It may or may not, who knows but the moment that a "respected" reviewer say that it is X% as good as the gold standard Televue listen for the cha-ching of the cash registers ring. Because of our own hype we have/will create the market...

June 5, 2009 09:19 PM Forum: Eyepieces

"Expensive" EPs worth it?

Posted By Scott Mitchell

I would say yes in my opinion it is worth it.

I figure that the humble mirror made in Asia is at a guess nearly 90% as good as the best mirror you could buy (I'm guessing because in fact it might be 89% or it might be 94%)...it is unlikely to be equal but it is probably close.

So it seems to me that you have a scope that is pretty good...a great eyepiece will help you get the maximum out of the scope...go for it.

A high quality eyepiece can last a lifetime and be used in many different future scopes...buy quality once and get a lifetime worth of enjoyment, if your budget can handle it.

August 5, 2009 02:58 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Best EP's for DenkMeyer BiniviewerII

Posted By Scott Mitchell

I think the Denk 21 mm and 14 mm are both pretty fine eyepieces too. I don't think many people have had a chance to use them but I rate them on par with my Pentax and Televue offerings.

September 4, 2009 12:25 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

first light with my Sky scout - 2 questions

Posted By Scott Mitchell

I find that when I have my watch (big metal one)on and hold my SkyScout with that hand (watch hand) that I get the magnet signal...placing my watch in my pocket solves the problem.

Otherwise it works like a champ!

January 7, 2010 12:58 AM Forum: SCI-FI

Caprica

Posted By Scott Mitchell

I watched the pilot on Hulu the other day...I found it compelling and look forward to seeing more. Not sure that I would rank it above BG but I did enjoy it.