My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Roberts

November 19, 2006 03:02 AM Forum: TeleVue

Telpod mount needs some work: advice needed

Posted By Jim Roberts

I have a Gibralter 5 mount and some experience servicing it myself. Of course, there is little doubt TV can do the best possible job, and I highly recommend you call them for an estimate and an RA. They should be able to sell you the single encoder, I would think, whereas Company 7 and other vendors may instead be forced to sell you both.

That said, you can do the job yourself if you have the interest, some time, and some patience. I would try to write everything out here for you, but it boils down to just following the written instructions that came with the scope and accessories, and getting some quality marine (waterproof) grease to recoat the surfaces of the azimuth bearing and associated pad. There were no instructions about how to do this, so ask when you call TV and they'll step you through enough of it for you to get the gist of what to do.

I had the same problem as you - altitude movements were no longer silky smooth after installing the encoder. When I serviced the mount, I forced some of the marine grease into the bearing gaps with my fingers. Messy, to be sure, but nothing I couldn't wipe up easily. I am very pleased with the altitude movements now.

Another caution. When re-installing the new azimuth encoder, be certain to read and follow all instructions - especially the one about smoothing the edges of the new encoder shaft before attempting to insert it into it's receiving hole. Removal of the old encoder will slightly mar the surfaces of the hole and its lips. I used fine steel wool to smooth off the sharpness at the forward edges of the encoder shaft (after I broke it somewhere inside while trying to force it in). Then, some wd-40 to help ease it in.

Good Luck

November 19, 2006 03:11 AM Forum: Eyepieces

5mm Radian v. 5mm Pentax XW

Posted By Jim Roberts

Frank, I would describe the XW as having all the good qualities of the Nagler 5T6 with the ER of the radian, and little to none of the radian's detracting color problems. The only - and I mean only - negative I have ever heard about the 5XW concerns its use during a lunar occultation. It seems this EP will yield some internal reflection when observing a planet or bright star occulting a non-illuminated lunar limb. Pretty specific, huh?

January 9, 2007 08:15 AM Forum: TeleVue

Carry Bag for Gibraltar.

Posted By Jim Roberts

See this thread and link for the Tamrac 328 bag. Highly recommended.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=lxd55&Number=1347404&Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1341157&Search=true&where=&Name=11491&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1347404

May 22, 2007 03:52 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Columbia River under the Stars

Posted By Jim Roberts

Eric,

In a word, magnificent. Any chance you would post a link to the full resolution image?

Thanks,

Jim Roberts