My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Anthony Wesley

June 12, 2005 03:04 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: A Blue Jupiter

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Damian - that is a truly impressive image, I'm very envious of the seeing conditions you must have had that night..

I'm curious about the camera you used - the LU075 - as I have also been looking at this camera as a replacement for my current camera. I had originally discounted the LU075 because of its relatively large pixels (and corresponding lower relative sensitivity) compared to cameras using the 098BL ccd.

Your image shows clearly that this camera can be made to perform, possibly thanks to the 12 bit A/D. Do you mind if I check some details with you about this image? You say F/42, so with the C9.25 I calculate that you were using an effective focal length of 9870mm (2350mm x 4.2). Is this right?

Do you mind if I ask what exposure time you used per frame, and what filters you were using? This info would help me determine if this camera is suited to my setup.

regards, Anthony

http://www.acquerra.com.au/personal/bird/astronomy

June 24, 2005 12:13 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Lumenera software question

Posted By Anthony Wesley

I know several people here are using Lumenera cameras, and I just received a couple of cameras from Lumenera for evaluation. The software that comes on cdrom doesn't seem to be that useful for planetary imaging - what is everyone else using?

I normally do my imaging under Linux, but until Linux drivers are written for these cameras I have to come back over to the Dark Side.

I tried using the Pk3ccdtools, but it refuses to understand these cameras. I've got the LU065C and LU075C cameras.

regards, Anthony

July 18, 2005 02:06 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

LU075/LU165 and streampix question

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Hi guys,

I've just taken delivery of two cameras from Lumenera to test, the LU075M and LU165M, and a copy of streampix.

I've hit an issue with streampix that I can't seem to solve, I hope you don't mind if I ask a question here, surely there are several people here with this exact same setup who will know the answer straight away :-)

Streampix insists on showing a colour image, even though teh cameras are monochrome, and shows on the status bar something like "BGR packed 24 bits per pixel". When I record a sequence the file is 3x bigger than it should be because streampix is recording it in "colour".

I've looked through all the hardware settings in streampix and I can't seem to find anywhere to tell it that the camera is monochrome. There are adjustments for framerate, gain, exposure, etc etc but not for colour vs monochrome.

Can someone help? How do I tell streampix that these are monochrome cameras?

Thanks in advance!

regards, Anthony

July 22, 2005 04:46 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Lunar: Herschel

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Hi everyone. I'm experimenting with a LU075M camera, and about the only target at the moment is the moon. We're getting morning fogs around here that make Mars a bit difficult, but hopefully that will change.

Here's an image from a few nights ago in average seeing of Herchel J.

Details: 10" f/6 newtonian, 4x powermate, LU075M camera, green Astronomik filter, stack of 300/3000 frames.

regards, Anthony

July 31, 2005 04:39 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars 31/7/2005

Posted By Anthony Wesley

We've had a run of very poor seeing the last few weeks associated with overhead jetstream, but it cleared a little bit last night so I had another go at Mars this morning in the frost :-)

Conditions were still marginal, but at least I could make out the polar cap in the video this time :-)

Details:

10" f/6 newtonain, 5x powermate
Lumenera LU075M @ 30fps
Astronomik RGB filters

regards, Anthony

August 5, 2005 05:11 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Mars - August 5th UT - blue clouds/haze on the

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Hi Robert, that's a very impressive image.

Anthony

August 17, 2005 04:37 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Attaching the Lumenera/ToUcam to the 4x Powerm

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Robert Heffner said:

Hi guys,

I just took delivery of the 4x Powermate to use with my C11 and LU075.

Do you use the entire long barrel when imaging, and just insert the camera into the 1.25" adapter at the end?
Or do you remove the top half and then use an adapter etc.?

I keep reading on Televue's HP and elsewhere that the long barrel configuration is for visual use, while the top half is removed for CCD imaging.

Advice here would greatly help.

Thanks

-Robert

Hi Robert. I bought the TeleVue T-ring adapter so I could screw the optical portion of the 4x PM directly onto my filter wheel. But if I'm not using the filter wheel then I'll just leave it together and plug a camera into the 1.25" adapter on the end.

Hope this helps

Anthony

August 29, 2005 08:21 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Two feeble fractured crater lunar images-LU075

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Hi Robert, I'm using a few different filters on Luna, I have had good results with both the Astronomik green bandpass filter and also an OIII filter.

I like the OIII filter because it's extremely narrowband, helps with focussing.

regards, Anthony

September 21, 2005 07:22 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars September 22 2005

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Finally, after travelling for work the last couple of weeks I'm back home and the weather has started to clear up... I've been hanging out to have a go at Mars so I stayed up late last night.

Conditions ended up as very poor, high haze and a bright nearby moon - only about a dozen stars were visible across the whole sky. Mars was at about 45 degrees altitude and the moon was even lower at about 30 degrees (only just clearing the trees!).

The seeing was reasonably stable but the haze robbed me of a lot of light so I had to use longer exposures.

Overall I'd rate the imaging conditions as 2 - 2.5 / 10. Not good, but I had a go anyway.

The result was not so bad, there's some cloud formations visible near the centre of the disc, the NPH can be seen, the SPC is visible.

The low quality of the raw frames meant I had to process it really hard, apologies to the purists :-)

Details:

10" f/6 newtonian
5x powermate + extender for effective 6x
PGR Dragonfly Express camera, 640x480 16bpp monochrome
Astronomik R,G,B filters
R=G=33ms B=66ms
Captured with Coriander for Linux, processed in Registax, Astra Image
and the GIMP for Windows.

regards, Anthony

September 22, 2005 05:03 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Another Mars from September 22

Posted By Anthony Wesley

Here's another image from Wednesday night's session.

10" f/6 newtonian
5x powermate @ 6.5x
Dragonfly Express 1394b camera 16bpp mono
Astronomik RGB filters
Captured using Coriander for Linux
Processed under Windows with Registax, Astra Image, Neat Image and GIMP.

exposures: R=G=B=66ms
Stacked best 700 frames in each colour

regards, Anthony