My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Owen Chin

May 8, 2002 06:56 AM Forum: Takahashi

Tak 210 Mewlon eyepiece advice

Posted By Owen Chin

I have just acquired a 210 Mewlon. I currently have a 9mm, 12mm, 16mm Nagler, a 22mm Pan and 55mm TV plossl. I am looking for the optimum 2" wide angle EP in the 30-40mm range. Is the 35mm Pan the only way to go? As a less heavy more light throughput alternative, I considered the Vernonscope 30, UO 40mm MK70, Pentax 40mm, and Widescan II.
The other consideration is my other scope a TMB 100/800 dual mounted on a Giro/Losmandy tripod. (kudos to John Ford for his advice on the matter)
Thanking you in advance for your opinions,
Owen

June 9, 2002 08:44 AM Forum: APM

TMB 100/800 Binoviewer Question

Posted By Owen Chin

Hi all,
I have a BW Optics binoviewer with both the 2" and 1.25" barrel adapter. With the 2' barrel in my 2' diagonal, I run out of focus travel with my extension tube removed on most EP sets.
I only need perhaps 1/2" more travel. I am now cosidering a 1.25 diagonal to pick up the additional travel and was considering either the Intes 1.25 diagonal or spending the premium for either the new TV 1.25 Everbright, or the Deluxe Intes. Anyone with an informed opinion on those diagonals or any other suggestions?

Thanks, Owen

August 24, 2002 04:07 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: 2" Diagonal Preferences and Opinions! SC

Posted By Owen Chin

Never owning an Everbrite or Lumicon (I like the Brass compression rings), here is my ranking:
1. AP Maxbrite
2. Vernonscope 1/20 wave
3. Deluxe Intes 1/20 wave

I currently have the AP, Vernonscope, and a standard Intes 1.25 (1/15 wave, non dielectric) for my 210 Mewlon, TMB 100/800 and Stellarvue AT 1010. Had the Intes Deluxe, but gave it up for the beautifully machined AP. For visual, however, I don't think there is a big difference...they are all excellent.

Owen

August 26, 2002 08:23 AM Forum: TeleVue

Re: Televue 102 Eyepiece Suggestions...

Posted By Owen Chin

Scott,

I have a TMB 100/800 and have a 9mmT1,12mmT2,16mmT2,20mmT2 and a 4x Powermate and 2x AP Barcon. I chose the Powermate over the 3-6mm zoom on John Ford's suggestion and am completely happy with it. On a Gibraltar, weight may be a major concern so you might not be happy pushing a 4x Powermate with a 9mm at 388x or a 12mm at 293x even though you have 82 degrees FOV. I find that on a 4" APO the Planetary/Lunar sweet spot is 200x to 300x. Anything beyond that is a diminishing return for most nights. I hear TV is going to make a 2.5x Powermate in a 2 inch format, and that or a Barcon would be a better bet for you. On the subject of EPs the 20mm Nag is great if you can get one cheap for low power, otherwise I would suggest a 22 Pan if you are even considering a 35 Pan down the line, or the 27 if you are not. If you want to splurge get the 22 Nagler. The 12T4 is great but the 12T2 is cheaper and you can consider the 16T2 down the road to fill the gap for medium powers. For low power I would suggest the 9T1, It's cheap and a great EP that you will use a lot. Depending on the Barlow you buy, it will serve you well as your low power EP in most situations.
Remember, if you stay on the 2" format, you won't have to fumble around in the darkness for a 2-1.25" adapter.

Good Luck, Owen

September 25, 2002 06:38 AM Forum: Binoviewers

BV Equipment

Posted By Owen Chin

Hi all,
I have a BW Optic BV for my TMB 100/800. I have both the 2" and 1.25 adapters. I used them with a 2" diagonal and found that the focus travel was insufficient unless I barlowed it with my AP Barcon, which is where I wanted to be for lunar and planetary viewing anyway. When I acquired a 210 Mewlon, I found that the in-focus travel was insufficent in the 2" format, so I just got an Intes 1.25 diagonal to pick up the extra 40mm of travel. For EPs I have sets of the Apogee 7.4-22mm zooms, 17mm Omcon and GTO 25 Plossls. I also just acquired the new Apogee 10mm, 15mm and 20mm 70 degree Widecsans. Now as fate would have it, I'm just waiting for the storms to clear out of the Gulf so I can put all this new untested gear through it's paces. I just hope it all works out!

Thanks Herb for this new forums site!

Regards, Owen

January 15, 2003 03:14 AM Forum: Refractors

Most Aperture in the Grab and Go Category

Posted By Owen Chin

Hi all,

I have a Stellarvue AT1010 on a TV Upswing mount (5.25" clearance inside the cradle) and have been contemplating
more aperture for my grab and go scope. I want to keep it to two bags/cases out the door. I've thought about a TV 85 but it's too close to the aperture of the 1010 (or is it). Consequently, I am looking for the 90-102mm category between $1200-$1800 and I know I'll have to get a sturdier tripod for my upswing. Have considered a SDF, Vixen VX102, Sky 90, Stellarvue and Borg. Any impressions or suggestions?

Thanks, Owen

January 23, 2003 03:15 PM Forum: TeleVue

TV 85 or SDF

Posted By Owen Chin

On Astromart they both sell for close to the same price. On a Telepod with a sturdy tripod for mainly widefield DSO but also for casual lunar/planetary viewing... which one and why?
Thanks, Owen

April 4, 2003 11:34 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Binoviewing with a set of Nagler 7T1s

Posted By Owen Chin

I'm on an Giro alt-az mount and like the FOV that a Nagler renders for lunar/planetary viewing. I have a set of 9T1s but man are they heavy...has anyone had any good experiences with a set of Nagler 7T1s?

Thanks, Owen

December 3, 2003 06:11 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Sky 90 with Binoviewer

Posted By Owen Chin

If I can sell off some equipment I think a Tak Sky 90 may be in my future. Question: Will I be able to reach focus with a BW Optik B/V using an AP Barcon either before or after the diagonal? I can with an AT1010 with the Barcon before the diagonal.

Thanks, Owen

December 16, 2003 03:52 PM Forum: Takahashi

A Sophie's Choice : Sky 90 orTMB 80/600

Posted By Owen Chin

For those who chase windmills and count angels on heads of pins: If there could be only one small grab and go APO, which would you want?