Posts Made By: Tony Aguire

November 9, 2008 09:54 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Re: WOOOO HOOOO!! (is this for real)

Posted By Tony Aguire

It appears the inside of the optical tube is very reflective...is this likely to have any impact on contrast?

November 19, 2008 12:35 AM Forum: Politics

Big 3 bail out

Posted By Tony Aguire

Should the governement get involved with helping the big 3 out of the mess they are in? Sounds like GM is gonna have to re-invent themselves....Mopar....well...other than the new Challenger, as a car nut, I have not seen anything from them in a long time that really does anything to excite me. And Ford? A perfect axample of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

November 20, 2008 04:03 AM Forum: Pet Pics

Video of Venus and Khan

Posted By Tony Aguire

Uploaded this tonight...Y'all might remember a while back us having adopted (another) female wolf hybrid (Venus)...The big one is Khan, a male 3 years old, 140+ pounds. The other is Venus, Female, 8 months, 50pounds or so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ2ubulGOJs

December 16, 2008 05:38 PM Forum: Mounts

New imaging setup...

Posted By Tony Aguire

For Xmas the Wife says I can spend some ching grin Naturally it will be on Astro gear, so I am planning a new imaging setup, here is what I have in mind

Celestron C8 tube I already own
Orion Short Tube 80 for a guide scope
Meade DSI for guiding that I already have
Canon EOS Xsi purchased new
Celestron ASGT mount

After a brief discussion with Herb( I will be purchasing the Orion tube and the mount from ATWB) I got the impression that the CG5 will be the weak link. Would it help this mount if I put it on a permanent pier that I already have installed? Also, how exactly does one go about autoguiding this mount with a DSI?

On Edit, another option is replacing The C8 with a WO Zenithstar 80 for a lighter setup, but that is a question for another forum....

December 16, 2008 06:35 PM Forum: Reflectors

6" Ritchey-Chetien

Posted By Tony Aguire

Anyone had any experience with these guys? Perhaps a suitable, ligher replacement for a C8 for imaging?
http://auroraastro.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_111&products_id=3644

December 16, 2008 07:54 PM Forum: Celestron

To sell or not to sell....

Posted By Tony Aguire

Mentioned this in passing in the Mounts forum, but I really could use some advice.... Xmas is coming, my wife says I can get the mount I want (Cg5)...here is the question. I have an Ultima 8, nicely accesorised (sp?) WO 2 speed focuser, Astromaster, Starizona counterweight system, 9x5 illuminated RA finder, piggyback camera mount. If I get the mount, I will definitely ( try to) sell the forks, with DSC and counterweights. However, I am also looking at selling the whole shebag instead and opting for a WO zenithstar 80 to mount with an Orion ST 80 (for autoguiding) on the Cg5. I am looking primarily at astrophotography with a Cannon EOS Xsi. I have never sold anything here before, and am looking for advice as to what the Ultima Fork, with DSC and counterweght setup is worth, or what to whole setup is worth. If I don't sell the C8 ota i would mount it with the ST80. I would like to go lighter, so the moiunt has an easier time, along with my arthritic back wink

PS, the sale of the whole shebang might also include a WO Binoviewer with ep's

December 20, 2008 11:28 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

PM not getting through?

Posted By Tony Aguire

I replied to an add earlier today, recieved an e-mail through my regular e-mail. I did not recieve a PM through Amart, am I supposed to? Or do PMs only work for the intial response.

December 22, 2008 10:46 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

here we go...

Posted By Tony Aguire

Hello, all. I just purchased a used Canon EOS Xt from a fellow Amarter, so I am wondering what y'all would consider to be the best accesories to get in aiding astrophotography. I have already ordered a WO 2' adapter with t-ring from ATWB to hook it up to my scope (Ultima 8 w/ WO 2 speed focuser, Starizona counterweights). I was looking at the remote switch (RS60E3) but I am wondering as to what other software/hardware would be suitable that may help me get started.I purchased this camera for deep sky, as well as terrestrial stuff. This is the begining of my journey into DSLR astrophotography...Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Clear skies..

December 22, 2008 11:10 PM Forum: Politics

This is for you Rod...

Posted By Tony Aguire

http://www.sockandawe.com/

For when we just can't wait untill 1/20/09 grin

January 13, 2009 10:02 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

First try...M42

Posted By Tony Aguire

First shot with my Canon Rebel XT with my Ultima 8 last night, nearly full moon with fair seeing.
F6.3, unguided, PEC off. Focus assisted with a Stiletto IV. 10, 15 second exposures at ISO 800 & 1, 45 second exposure at ISO 400, no dark subtraction. Very minimaly processed in PS7. I didn't really spend much time on this one, but I am pretty pleased with the results compared to my DSI. I have a new Orion guidescope package coming from ATWB later this week for manual guiding.