My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Tony Aguire

September 28, 2018 02:02 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Questions for the optics perfectionists

Posted By Tony Aguire

So in this thread or another I posted that I picked up a very little used Celestron Celestar C8. I ended up de-forking the optical tube so it can ride on a Skywatcher EQ6 Pro. I've used the scope quite a few times, and compared to other C8s that I've looked through it's probably one of the best that I've experienced. 

This is a completely stock optical tube. I have thought about doing hyperstar imaging with this scope, so I'm wondering how much of an improvement I can get in actual image quality by replacing the focusing mechanism. I have access to a hackerspace with any of the machining tools I could ever want to create a zero image shift mechanism for the primary mirror.

My question is, is it worth going through that trouble to create a zero image shift focusing mechanism for image quality? 

I haven't been on Astromart in a long time. Lots of changes in my life with losing my wife, so I'm trying to get back to my roots with the things I love to do. I would love any feedback to give me an idea as to how I should approach this..

September 30, 2018 10:21 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Questions for the optics perfectionists

Posted By Tony Aguire

Originally Posted by Keith Lawson

Hi Tony,

Sorry for your loss. Forgive me if this old guy is misunderstanding, but wouldn't an accessory Crayford focuser accomplish zero image shift? 

Rebuilding the existing focuser mechanism is a serious design challenge. The original Celestron 8" Blue/White's came with a belt driven zero image shift focusing mechanism. It's quite a bit more complicated and requires precision machining that could be beyond the skill set of a hobby machinist. You might want to check out Robert Piekiel's "Celestron The Early Years" CD for pics of this focusing mechanism.

Forgive my ignorance but I'm confused about the "image quality" associated with a focusing mechanism.

Keith (Scopejunkie)

So my thinking is to do hyperstar imaging with it, to that end the crayford focuser option is not viable. I've actually had a crayford focuser on my old C8. I really appreciated how well it worked, but I'm thinking if I could somehow replicate the design characteristics of a crayford into the movable mirror aspect of the C8, that's kind of where I'm trying to go. I know I'm going to have to machine a new rear cell for this project, and I've actually got quite a bit of mechanical knowledge and a couple of machinist /engineer friends that work over at the hackerspace to help me come together with something. They you Kieth, I appreciate your knowledge and insight on this.

October 15, 2018 12:03 AM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

It's Electric...

Posted By Tony Aguire

After putting close to 200,000 trouble free miles on my Prius, I decided to get a new daily driver. Kept the Prius for long distances trips, of course. It still runs perfect, but I figured It would be nice to work towards a zero carbon footprint. Next step is installing solar to charge my Leaf. For now I am happy getting 5.1 miles/kwh. Nearly 200mpg in monetary terms, lol...

January 4, 2019 08:48 PM Forum: Politics

The Border

Posted By Tony Aguire

It isn't about a wall, it is the fact that some of the posters on this form, and certain other members of of this country, have decided to follow Trump's mantra that the people that are south of this water are sub-human. 

You people don't care about keeping them out, you just want to see them continue to suffer. Poorly veiled bigotry and intolerance is what drives this type of isolationism. 

Interesting that no one seemed to mind that Trump is now threatening imminent domain to build a wall. Essentially stealing people's property to save his face in front of his extreme, xenophobic, intolerant base. 

That is not what America was built on. 

Congratulations in turning your backs on this countries core values.

January 5, 2019 07:07 AM Forum: Politics

The Border

Posted By Tony Aguire

Originally Posted by Mel Maki

Is it possible you missed something? People wanted the wall before Trump. How many of the world's people should the US take? Fifty million? Eighty million would come. Is that enough? Serious question, give me a number. 
Trump hate has overpowered your logic if you believe wall supporters only want it to increase suffering. Isolation? You must not be aware how many the US takes compared to everybody else. 
Countries need eminent domain. Are you against public use? Couldn't even build roads without it. A very small matter compared to believing half of the nation thinks people south of us are sub human and also want them to suffer.

I think the rhetoric has gotten more hateful with Trump. He didn't create bigots, but as our Commander in Chief, he has legitimized them. And yes, I do have a problem with imminent domain in this case. Explain to me how taking people's land to build a wall is for "public use"? You think this stupid wall is going to be some kind of tourist attraction or something?

January 5, 2019 07:17 AM Forum: Politics

The Border

Posted By Tony Aguire

But then of course, let's look at the history of other societies that built walls to keep people out (or in). I can't think of one example where building a wall ended well, lol. 

And the definition of insanity is?

January 5, 2019 01:16 PM Forum: Politics

The Border

Posted By Tony Aguire

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

I've seen some moronic statements in my life, but yours is so completely full of lies, exaggerations, and just plain stupidity, it is hard to know where to start with the nonsense above.

First of all, your statement that anyone at any time has stated or even implied that we think that people from South of the border are "sub-human" borders on the insane. 

At best, that assertion is a flat out lie, and at worst, it is completely demagoguery worthy of someone in an insane asylum, and since you posted it, I'm assuming you aren't currently a resident of Bellevue, so it must be a purposeful lie on your part.

The second statement you posted is so absurd that it isn't even worth wasting time addressing the nonsense, however I think something needs to be said about such stupidity coming out of the mouth of another, even if that other is a complete moron.

Nobody wants to see any other people suffer unless of course that other person is evil.  

The poor people trekking  across that Southern Desert, deserve pity.  The problem is that we cannot as a society take in the world's poor.

My guess is that you have not one single person living with you whom you provide free housing, free food, free medical, paid for by yourself, unless of course it is a family member.

Therefore take your sanctimony and stick it in your ear.  

I could say the same only worse about you, that you don't give a DAMN about the safety of all those poor, undecated individuals making that journey because if you did, you would bother to educate yourself and you would know how dangerous it is to make that journey, especially those young girls who WILL necessarily be preyed upon sexually by the coyotes bringing them here.

Many will be raped and molested however you don't give a shit about them or that fact, because you are all about Politicizing the issue, just like your Democrat leadership does.

Everything else you wrote is simply disgusting, despicable, race baiting accusations and nothing more.   

Lol, gaslight much you little sociopath?

January 20, 2019 12:38 AM Forum: Politics

Help Me Understand

Posted By Tony Aguire

Richard Davis is nothing but a traitor by knowingly supporting a Russian pawn.

January 20, 2019 01:01 AM Forum: Politics

$5 billion for a wall

Posted By Tony Aguire

Richard Davis is like the home alarm guy that sells you an alarm system for your home knowing exactly how to disable it to invade your home, rape your wife with a broom (cause he can't do it himself) and kill your kids. He is a traitor, I have proof. 

January 20, 2019 03:32 AM Forum: Politics

Trump Teens Harass Native American/Vietnam Vet

Posted By Tony Aguire

Richard Davis would probably be happy to give that boy a Hummer given his hate for the USA and love for Russia