My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Liddell

January 11, 2003 09:36 PM Forum: Maksutovs

MK67 Focus Question

Posted By David Liddell

I have heard that the MK67 with factory-supplied Crayford focuser cannot come to focus when using 1.25" eyepieces and adapters in a 2" diagonal. Thus, you would need both 2" and 1.25" diagonals to use both types of eyepieces. Have you found this to be the case? Would switching to a JMI focuser help? Is this even possible?

Thanks!
Dave

January 24, 2003 03:14 PM Forum: Maksutovs

6.3 Reducer for Mk66

Posted By David Liddell

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck using a focal reducer on the f12 M66? Trying to get a wider field.

Thanks,
Dave

February 6, 2003 03:51 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Looking for Tube End/Dust Cap

Posted By David Liddell

Hi,

Does anyone know of a source for solid (non shower cap style) tube end caps?

Thanks,
Dave

February 18, 2003 08:02 PM Forum: Maksutovs

MN Collimation Question

Posted By David Liddell

Hi,

I collimated my new MN66 this weekend. Went pretty well and was pretty similar to collimating a standard newt (other than rotating the secondary). My question is, can the paired metric slot-head screws for collimation of the primary be removed and replaced with metric thumbscrews? It seems like this would work if one screw of each push-pull pair was done at a time. Has anyone done this? I think that it would be superior to trying to use two different sized screwdrivers in the dark!
Thanks!
Dave

March 26, 2003 05:45 PM Forum: Celestron

Carry Handle for C11

Posted By David Liddell

Hi,

No response from the SCT forum, so I thought I would try here. Does anyone know of a source for a carry handle for the C11? Something on the order of the handles that come with the Russian Maks and bolt onto the rear cell? Thanks!
Dave

March 26, 2003 08:57 PM Forum: Maksutovs

Case for Mk66

Posted By David Liddell

Have any of you tried a Pelican case for your Mk66? If so, which model? Did you leave the dew shield on or remove it? Any other suggestions for cases? I am using my Mk66 as my bouncing- around-in-my-truck-in-the-desert scope and would like to have something better than a tool box with some bubble wrap to protect the scope. Thanks! Dave

April 16, 2003 02:16 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Digiscoping Adapters

Posted By David Liddell

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for the best way to connect a Nikon CP990 (28mm thread) to a variety of telescopes. The two basic options seem to be 1) connecting the camera to the eyepiece using something like the Scopetronix digiT adapter or a dedicated eyepiece like the Scopetronix 18mm or 2) using some sort of bracket - either homemade or like the Scopetronix EZPix - to hold the camera up to the eyepiece. Although option number one has the virtue of simplicity and possibly ease of use, I am concerned about focusing relying on the camera's LCD screen. Option two seems more cumbersome, but would allow first focusing the scope and then swinging the camera into position. It doesn't seem like just holding the camera against the eyepiece works very well, at least for me. I would appreciate hearing about your experiences and any suggestions. Thanks! Dave

April 16, 2003 04:39 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Adapters for Digiscoping

Posted By David Liddell

Hi, I posted this on the birding forum, but thought that I would also seek input here. I'm looking for suggestions for the best way to connect a Nikon CP990 (28mm thread) to a variety of telescopes. The two basic options seem to be 1) connecting the camera to the eyepiece using something like the Scopetronix digiT adapter or a dedicated eyepiece like the Scopetronix 18mm or 2) using some sort of bracket - either homemade or like the Scopetronix EZPix - to hold the camera up to the eyepiece. Although option number one has the virtue of simplicity and possibly ease of use, I am concerned about focusing relying on the camera's LCD screen. Option two seems more cumbersome, but would allow first focusing the scope and then swinging the camera into position. It doesn't seem like just holding the camera against the eyepiece works very well, at least for me. I would appreciate hearing about your experiences and any suggestions. Thanks! Dave

April 25, 2003 02:20 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Best Baffle Material

Posted By David Liddell

I have been following the thread on baffles. What is the best baffle material for an ATM? Obviously, something thin and "knife-edged" would be great, but probably hard to fabricate and attach in a typical sonotube newt. Any suggestions? I've been thinking of using 1/4" flat black foam core poster board and cutting and shaping with a router.
Thanks!
Dave

April 28, 2003 05:47 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Flatest, Blackest Black Paint?

Posted By David Liddell

Does anyone know of a good brand of brush on flat black paint for tube interiors? The Krylon ultra flat black is a great spray paint, but I haven't been able to find any brush on paint that is nearly as good. Thanks! Dave