From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

NGC1977 Running Man Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Darren Wong

November 4, 2005 06:32 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Re: Meade ETX-70 V Orion Starblaster 4.5EQ

Posted By Darren Wong

Hi Rob,

Go with the StarBlast. Good scope with great wide field views (so it would be easy to find stuff). Also much greater aperture...need I say more smile

Darren,
Brisbane,
Australia

June 4, 2006 04:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Vixen Porta Mount and Celestron/Vixen C6

Posted By Darren Wong

Was looking to find a lighter but still useable mount for my Celestron/Vixen C6 (6" f/5 newtonian) without having to resort to going the dob mount route when I came across the new Vixen Porta Mount. Was just wondering if anyone has tried it out with the abovementioned OTA and if it would hold the OTA steady enough.

Cheers,
Darren,
Brisbane,
Australia

March 16, 2011 07:58 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion StarShoot USB eyepiece questions

Posted By Darren Wong

Hi All,

Anyone have experience with this new product of Orion? I am curious as it would make the perfect "cheap" solution to showing a group of people solar systems objects. Does this work with a Mac OSX operating systems? Orion's website only states that it works with PC.

Cheers,
Darren

April 18, 2011 08:35 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Mount pinos CA dark sky observing end April 2011

Posted By Darren Wong

Hi All,

Was just wondering if anyone in SoCal have any observing information about the site in Mount Pinos. I just moved from the land down under to LA for work and was curious to check Mount Pinos out the last weekend of April (new moon weekend) and possibly the weekend after that (first weekend of May). When do people usually go there (like the weekend of the new moon and the weekend after) and is it a safe spot to observe from? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Darren

April 26, 2011 08:59 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Mount Pinos address for GPS

Posted By Darren Wong

Anyone here know of a point or address I could plug into my GPS for directions to the Mount Pinos site?

Cheers,
Darren

October 31, 2005 07:55 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

second try

Posted By Darren Wong

There are several good recommendations that have been discussed (see the "starter scope recommendations" thread by Rick). While the mentioned scope is not bad, you might be better off getting a similar scope from Orion. They have much better quality control. Try looking at:

http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?itemID=0&itemType=HOME_PAGE

Cheers,
Darren,
Brisbane,
Australia

December 7, 2005 11:24 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Re: advice

Posted By Darren Wong

I agree with Ivan and Larry. I have a Celestron/Vixen C6 and own both small short tube refractors (Orion 80ST amnd 102 f/5) and while they are great little scopes in their own right, I find I still use the 6" the most for DSO. The other two just do not give enough detail. In fact there is not much that seperates the two smaller scopes and as a result, I find I use the Orion 80ST much more.

Anyway...

Darren,
Brisbane,
Australia

October 24, 2007 10:14 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

6" OR 8"?

Posted By Darren Wong

Always go for more aperture if you want to go deep although a 6" might be enough for general purposes and from suburban skies. I find a 6" to be at the threshold where objects start to get interesting. For example from suburban (mag 5) skies most of the Messier globulars show full or partial resolution at higher powers and planets show good detail in a 6", as opposed to smaller scopes. An advantage of the 6" would be portability (can be carried in one piece) and the longer focal length makes it more forgiving for collimation. I have a 6" and a 10" and I still use my 6" quite a lot....I say go for either a 6" or skip the 8" and go for the 10" wink

Darren,
Brisbane,
Australia

September 11, 2013 10:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Imaging: What's the Point?

Posted By Darren Wong

That is why I don't go all the way up to the parking lot anymore. Too much interference from campers and their "oh I am sorry headlights" and a whole heap of curious "non hardcore I just wanna peek people" I rather find a side turnoff and observe in solitude....maybe with two or three other friends....

October 31, 2013 10:10 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Pinos/Lockwood Valley Downgrade

Posted By Darren Wong

I noticed that too.....but I guess when there is the marine layer covering LA, its still good.