My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jaime Hanson

August 11, 2022 03:00 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Changing user rating

Posted By Jaime Hanson

Hi, I was intending to give no stars for a user who ghosted me. However, the system defaulted to 5 stars, which is inappropriate. How do I change the stars selected by the system? Thanks

August 16, 2022 01:24 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Changing user rating

Posted By Jaime Hanson

People like that are hurting the site and its reputation. I am trying to help you by calling out the rats. That is the whole reason the rating system was invented. It would be wise for you to understand that.

August 18, 2022 03:36 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Changing user rating

Posted By Jaime Hanson

There was an offer to purchase and subsequently an accepted offer. It was after that point, this person decided to ghost me. I'll use the analogy of a real estate transaction, if there is an offer to purchase and an accepted offer and at that point the buyer decides to back out of the transaction, he or she would lose his or her earnest money. Now, to your point, on Astromart, there is no contract and no earnest money, only a written offer. The mechanism for holding people accountable and acting in good faith is the rating system. So, when I find someone who is not acting in good faith, it is in the interest of the Astromart community to alert other users that this person ought not to be trusted. In the case of this particular person, there was also a second post by another user (who happens to be a well known and reputable user within the astronomy community) who shared his experience of bad behavior on the part of the same individual in question. So, now you have two generally negative encounters involving the same user on two different occasions. Future users can then see those two negative experiences and decide whether this is a person who they wish to do business with. That is the mechanism for holding people to their word, the earnest money, if you will. It so happens that the other (reputable) user who posted his negative experience also did not have an exchange of money, only an exchange of emails.

I would also like to point out that the verbiage on the Astomart web site does not support your assertion that the rating system is only for transactions in which there is an exchange of money or property. The actual language on the site says, I'm paraphrasing here, Since you have interacted with this user you may now give a rating on this user. There is no mention anywhere on the profile or ratings pages that a transaction needs to occur prior to a rating being given. Furthermore, in the web code, html or python or what have you, there is nothing in the coding that prevents a user from rating another user based on a transaction. So, for example, if the code required a wanted post to have a found indicator, that would be an example of a gate switch in the code. A ship notice might be another example. A sold indicator would be the most obvious example of a coded field being populated as a gate switch for assigning a user rating. Currently, none of those gate switches are incorporated into the code behind Astromart.com. If it is the web site's policy that an exchange of money or property is the only mechanism for casting a user rating, the verbiage on the web site and the code behind the web site need to change to reflect this policy.