Posts Made By: David Simons

October 19, 2004 06:23 PM Forum: Telescope Making

PLOP

Posted By David Simons

Does anybody have the .ZIP file for PLOP ?

The file on the main web page does not unzip correctly. Maybe an older file will work

Please send me a private email for email address.

Thanks in advance !!

David Simons

November 7, 2004 07:47 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Missing glass ??

Posted By David Simons

I was trying to do a laser collimation on my homebuilt 10" refractor setup (bought the lens) with mixed results. I verified the beam was exiting the front of the scope very near the center of the lens, and the reflected return beam went into the focuser. But when I racked in the focuser, the return beam would be offset. My guess is I have some offset in the placement of the focuser sad

But the funny thing was the laser light would scatter inside the thick glass surfaces, but in some places in the lense, the scatter would simply dissapear. I know there is some fluid between the glass surfaces, but I thought this was a very thin separator, and not a thick layer. I don't think there is an air space inside, but I could be wrong. Anybody have some thoughts ?? I also tried it with a high power green laser, same results.

Note the bright spots are where the light enters and exits the glass.

David Simons

November 8, 2004 08:29 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Your Thoughts: 12" LX200GPS

Posted By David Simons

Harold,

I have the old Style 12" LX200, and the newer 10"GPS, and I feel the old 12" is easier to handle !!

There are places to grip the fork arms on the old LX200 that are missing on the GPS models. I will setup the 12" more often than the 10" ! If you get a chance to go to a local star party and can see someone setup an old LX200, you may want to switch over to the older model. I'm not saying they are lightweight, just easier to handle.

Another option is demount the OTA and put it on something like a CI700 or G11 type mount. With a set of rings for the OTA, it will be very easy to assemble each piece.

David Simons

November 11, 2004 10:29 AM Forum: Telescope Making

A big box on the porch

Posted By David Simons

I found a big box on my front porch this evening, my 30" mirror arrived from Intermountain Optics after less than a month wait. I have barely even thought about the cell design !

I did a quick check on the mirror that was held in place by thick building insulation foam to see if it was in one piece, so good so far. It was tightly wrapped in another layer of protective paper, so I have yet to remove all that to check the coatings.

I am trying to come up with very lightweight design so that I can transport this 80lb mirror and yet to be built telescope fairly easily. I saw a scope at RTMC built by Dan Gray that looked very interesting. He called it a String Telescope, and was a very minimalist design.

Updates on progress to follow !

Comments and suggestions welcome !

David Simons

November 17, 2004 09:17 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: chosing the right refractor

Posted By David Simons

Hi Mark,

At the risk of opening a can of worms... I have the Burgess 127mm f8. This scope is very sharp. Absolutely pinpoint stars. Takes power very easily, shows some extra color near 200X, but is still a crisp image. However, a friend of mine had to get a replacement lens for his 127 because of some problems, so there are some bad ones out there. I will not be selling mine though smile And I am sure there are some really sharp Skywatcher 120's out there as well. Bottom line, if you are buying new, go from a very reputable dealer, as there may be a return involved, these scopes can vary a lot. The Burgess is a little more tricky, as I think these are currently only available used. Most folks won't do this, but ask for a return option if you are looking at a used Burgess. But if you get a good one, you won't be worrying about that grin

David Simons

December 23, 2004 02:37 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Ultima 2k vs Nexstar 8i - Which to keep?

Posted By David Simons

Hi Bob,

How are the optics on your U2K ? Mine are the best I have seen in any Cat' scope, and I have used/owned a few 8)

Todd Gross did a review here:

http://www.newxspotters.bizland.com/todd/weatherman/scope.htm#Eight

And I pretty much agree with him. If you have other concerns in addition to the optics, such as the GPS auto alignment, or compatibility then you have to weigh that in. I would think the alignment would be better in the Ultima, since it has encoders for feedback. Speaking of which, I think it is the only goto CAT scope that can be moved by hand and still be synchronized.

How did you end up with these two scopes? And what are your impressions ?

David Simons

February 12, 2005 03:39 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: tele-vue or konig

Posted By David Simons

HI Mark,

I'm pretty sure you can get a 2" focuser, or adapter for the Vixen Scopes. Only the very old ones were 1.25" only.

EA 2"/50.8mm - ED/FL
Allows the use of 2" eyepieces with Vixen ED and Fluorite refractors. This is a double-use adapter that is suitable for straight through viewing or, when reversed, accepts a 2" diagonal and eyepieces.
Model # AV-EA-3853 Weight: 120 grams / 4.2 oz

February 15, 2005 05:16 AM Forum: After Dark

Re: 25 x 125 DX Vixen (Older Model and Black color

Posted By David Simons

Alberio,

Interesting name .... wink

This fellow may be able to make you something ..

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=312597

BTW How do you like your 25x125's ?

One of these will do the job also. I use one on my Fuji 150's including the mount.
Taken from this ad :
http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=111972

I have the two white models, 20&30. The 20's have a 3.0 FOV and are one of my most favorite viewing device, either telescope or binocular. What are the specs on the 25X, how do you like them, and how did you get a pair ?? Pictures ...

February 16, 2005 09:18 PM Forum: Telescope Making

eMachine shop

Posted By David Simons

Hi Folks,

I have had a hard time getting machined parts made, and this shop was mentioned in the equipment forums.

www.emachineshop.com

They give you free software, and I designed this part in about an hour.

https://www.astromart.com/forums/viewpost.asp?forum_post_id=302633&poll_id=&news_id=&page=

I thought this capability is very interesting.

March 10, 2005 04:42 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Messier Marathon this Saturday

Posted By David Simons

Anybody else going for a Messier Marathon this weekend ?

We have nominally clear skies here in N. California. My best count in a single night is about 70. I hope to make it to 90 this year ! I'll be using a pair of Vixen 25x125 bino's and an 8" dob.