Posts Made By: John Moore

August 9, 2003 11:02 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Russell Optics Wide-Angle Finder

Posted By John Moore

Has anyone used the Russell Optics Wide-Angle Finder - particularly the 90° model? I'm looking for a right angle finder and the AstroMart price for this piece looks pretty good. Would like to hear from anyone who has experience with it. Thanks!

August 21, 2003 03:30 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

First Photo of Mars

Posted By John Moore

This is my first attempt at imaging Mars with my N11GPS and a Toucam camera. I know there's a lot of learning yet to do - I'd be appreciative of any suggestions for improving my abilities. Seeing was not that great due to ground fog - very humid, warm night in northern Ohio.

John

August 28, 2003 07:34 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Piggyback Scope Mounting

Posted By John Moore

Does anyone have experience with the Scopestuff piggyback scope mounting kits? Much cheaper than the other available setups, but the rail is attached with only one screw at each end rather than two. Any concerns about the stability of the mount or the strength of just one screw?

September 4, 2003 02:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Nexstar 114GT Firmware Version

Posted By John Moore

Does anyone know how to determine the firmware version on a Nexstar 114GT? The scope is brand new (got it to use the mount as a travel mount for my TV-76). The hand controller shows the 2 star alignment option, so I'm assuming it must be the new firmware - but it doesn't give me an option to see the Version like the hc on my N11GPS does. The real problem is that I am not able to get a communication link established from the scope to The Sky, either through my PC or through my IPAQ (with Pocket Sky). I've run the HyperTerminal test and get the expected response from the scope, so I believe that the cable (from David Carter) connecting the scope and the computer is functional. I'm trying to gather all info before I contact Software Bisque.

Any suggestions on either question:

1. How to determine the firmware version?
2. How to get communication established?

Thanks,
John

September 6, 2003 05:45 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars with a TV-76

Posted By John Moore

This is from my third night of picture taking, and the first with my TV-76. Used a 3" extension with the SR module of a 2" OCS plus a 2x Barlow & ToUcam 740K Pro in a 2" diagonal. Processing is Registax2 and a little Photoshop.

October 31, 2003 04:56 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Sale on MaxScope 40's

Posted By John Moore

Anyone have any insight on why all the shops have the MaxScope 40 on sale?

John in Ohio

November 5, 2003 02:42 PM Forum: Home Observatories

QuickDome Hexagonal Observatory

Posted By John Moore

Does anyone have any experience with the QuickDome Hexagonal Observatory? I'm particularly curious about it's weatherability and strength. Trying to decide whether it's worth ordering the plans. My scenario sounds just like the one on the QuickDome website - too many $$$ in scopes & accessories and no $$$ left for the observatory!!

November 9, 2003 01:51 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Lunar Eclipse from NE Ohio

Posted By John Moore

TV-76 using a 26mm Plossl and an Olympus C-3000 with a Scopetronix adapter.

November 9, 2003 05:52 PM Forum: TeleVue

TV-76 and ToUcam

Posted By John Moore

Tried to get some photos of the eclipse last night using my TV-76 and a ToUcam 740K. With the diagonal in place, couldn't reach focus. Took out the diagonal and replaced it with the 2" TV extension - I was able to reach focus, but could not get the full lunar disk. Does anyone know if the 0.8x field flattener/reducer would shorten the focal length enough to get the full lunar disk?

John in NEOhio

November 29, 2003 02:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Contrast Booster Filter

Posted By John Moore

I understand that Celestron's contrast booster filter is made by Baader, but does anyone know if it is the same as the filter sold under the Baader name? Also, is there any optical reason not to leave this filter in place as dust protection? I'm looking for something to put on the adapter of my ToUcam web camera to keep stuff off the CCD chip. The clear glass filters I've found are just about as expensive as the Contrast Booster Filter.

John in NEOhio