My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Bob Hayes

August 19, 2006 11:34 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Photo Shop Question

Posted By Bob Hayes

What version of photoshop do you guys use for your astrophotos?

September 16, 2006 02:34 AM Forum: Refractors

Stellarvue 80mm Info needed

Posted By Bob Hayes

Does anyone have any info on the Stellarvue 80MM F/6 model 2121? Thanks

September 16, 2006 01:12 PM Forum: Mounts

Whats this?

Posted By Bob Hayes

Take a look and see if you can tell me the manufacturer of the equatorial head.
Thanks

October 23, 2006 11:06 AM Forum: Meade

LX200 shipping foam

Posted By Bob Hayes

Does anyone know if you can buy the shipping foam for the Meade LX series scopes?
Thanks

November 5, 2006 02:18 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

My New (used) Tak FS-128

Posted By Bob Hayes

I never thought I'd own a setup like this. I've waited 20 years. I picked up the scope and Sbig ST-8i w/color wheel,along with other goodies, from Stu Forster today. The mount came from Sean Walker of Sky&Tell Mag.
I also received the Losmandy MA so when the weather breaks I'll be replacing my LX200 in my observatory with the G-11/Tak setup.
I have to machine a plate to mount my parallax rings and 80ED as a guide scope.

Any body need a mint 8" LX200 with all the trimmings? wink

December 13, 2006 09:53 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Re: Questions from a beginner

Posted By Bob Hayes

Hi Jim,
Like you, I was sick of constantly setting up and tearing down. With an observatory you'll get a lot more use of the LX.
As for which is better, roll off roof or dome, that's your preference. A roll off may be easier to build but I feel a dome offers more protection from the wind and looks unique. Check out my link to my dome construction site. I built a 8' and I find I have room for 3 comfortably, which I rarely have.
No matter which design you go with you do not want to heat the observing room. If you require heat, you should build a separate warm room.
As for security, I live in a good neighborhood but I do have a dead bolt on the door and a ADT motion detector inside.
I only remove the optical tubes when going away on trips or vacation for a period of time.
The winter was a good time for me to plan. I'm not really into snow. I was able to construct my entire dome in my basement. It made a nice winter project and I had a lot of fun doing it. 8)

January 19, 2007 12:26 PM Forum: Refractors

Lens repair or replacement?

Posted By Bob Hayes

I have an Apogee 127 F/6.5 refractor with scratches in the objective. The scratches are in the coatings.
Does anyone know where I can have this repaired or replaced. Apogee doesn't want to return emails after six weeks of numerous attempts.

Thanks,
Bob Hayes

May 1, 2007 01:35 AM Forum: Home Observatories

ExploraDome looks familiar

Posted By Bob Hayes

I see the ExploraDome round kit uses steel roofing. It looks familiar to one I saw some where else wink

June 5, 2007 11:35 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Shaft coupler for Robofocus

Posted By Bob Hayes

I know this is a long shot but I'm going to try.

I'm searching for a slip clutched shaft coupler. I want to mount my Robofocus motor to my stock Tak focuser and still have the manual focus knob option.

I found the perfect coupler at Mcmaster-Carr. It's a Precision, adjustable Torque-Limiting, Flexible Coupling with zero backlash, but it's $340. 8O

Has anyone tried this before and maybe have a cheaper alternative?
Thanks,
Bob Hayes

June 20, 2007 12:32 PM Forum: Home Observatories

All most there

Posted By Bob Hayes

It's been 13 months since I completed my observatory and I still haven't seen a star cwy Working 3rd shift for the last 10 years doesn't help.
I just finished constructing a shelf system for my electronics nightmare.All systems fire up and are ready to go. I want to mount a robofocus motor to my Tak but that can wait. I have the week of the 4th off and I hope to get the st237 calibrated and tracking.

I haven't been posting much but I do read the forums daily. When I fire up th ST-8 you guys will be sick of me. wink