My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Bob Hayes

June 16, 2006 01:28 PM Forum: Home Observatories

In progress Dome

Posted By Bob Hayes

Some one on Astromart mentioned a site called Build-A-Sign. I had to have one!
It's aluminum and only $18 !! 8)
My wife says I'm nuts!

June 22, 2006 04:52 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Dome Rotation - Suggestions

Posted By Bob Hayes

Hi Paul,
I see you noticed my transfer bearing idea. I don't know how well it will work, I'm still working on the building.
I had six 1/8" steel arcs water jet cut to place on top of the walls for the bearings to roll on. The inside diameter of the steel hangs over the inside wall top plate by 1/2". I did this because I'm using garage door rollers mounted to the dome ring to locate the dome in the xy axis. The rollers roll on the inside diameter of the top sill and the steel overhang will keep the dome from possibly blowing off.
I'm siding the building now and should have pics soon.
Bob

June 23, 2006 10:05 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

First light STL11000CM

Posted By Bob Hayes

Dude !!!!! That is AWESOME !!!!!!!!! shocked

June 24, 2006 03:58 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Third light with Orion Starshoot... M57

Posted By Bob Hayes

Hi Ivan,
Is this shot with the 10" or the ED80?
I'm new to the CCD world but I have the eq. Just trying to get the observatory done. I have the classic 8" Sc and the ED80. My camera is the ST237. I also have the light pollution problem, as you, and it's getting worse.
I'd be very pleased with an image like that.
Bob smile

June 30, 2006 05:52 PM Forum: Home Observatories

In progress Dome

Posted By Bob Hayes

Finally had time to build a prehung door.
I still have to weather strip the outside but I'll do that after it's installed.
I did the frame with half laps. I used 2x4's and a 2x6 on the lock side because it's 2 3/8" to the center of the knob.
Glassboard on the front and back and a Styrofoam core.

July 1, 2006 03:39 AM Forum: Home Observatories

In progress Dome

Posted By Bob Hayes

Looks like my Observatory sign is off about three houses. So much for internet GPS.
Oh well, close enough. smile

July 6, 2006 12:48 PM Forum: Home Observatories

In progress Dome

Posted By Bob Hayes

Door is installed and I'm mounting the dome tonight !!! smile smile smile grin grin smile

July 23, 2006 03:00 PM Forum: Meade

Electronic focuser control

Posted By Bob Hayes

So, nobody knows? Ok, I'll have to design my own. Anybody else interested in a variable speed focus control for the Meade 1206 that only requires one hand to operate? I have an idea and I'll keep posting if anyone is interested.

August 6, 2006 06:40 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Need advice on a door

Posted By Bob Hayes

Hi Mike,
I had the same problem with finding a door. I couldn't even find one to cut down to size because most exterior doors are panel doors with the knob holes already cut in. I chose to build my own pre-hung.
First I made my frame using 5/4 pine and a piece of 2x8 pressure treated for my threshold.
For the door I used 2x4's for the top,bottom, and hinge side. On the knob side I used a 2x6. All four corners were assembled using a half lap joint, Gorilla glue, and wood screws.
The center of the door was filled with 1 1/2" Styrofoam insulation board. I then skinned the door with the Glasteel (fiberglass reinforced PVC) that I used to cover my dome. You can find other materials to skin the door if you prefer.
I installed the completed pre-hung and trimmed it with PVC brick mold.
I already had 90% of the material around the house. My only real expense was the lock set and hardware.

Good luck,
Bob

August 25, 2006 12:20 PM Forum: Home Observatories

A few pictures of my almost completed dome...

Posted By Bob Hayes

Looks good Roger. I used a vinyl garage door trim with a rubber insert to seal the base. Cheap,cheap from Home Depot.