New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Kernberger

January 8, 2006 09:37 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Forum Moderator's job

Posted By David Kernberger

To all,

What is the job of a forum moderator?? I have not seen any explanation on any of the forums nor have I seen any evidence of moderator interaction thereupon.

Regards,
David Kernberger

December 16, 2006 08:38 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Reposting a classified Ad

This is proably just another one of my dumb questions. Is there a way to repost a classified ad without having to type it out from scratch all over again? What is the quickest way to repost an ad?

Thanks in advance,
Dave Kernberger

March 19, 2007 06:11 PM Forum: Eyepieces

RKE eyepieces---Are they any good?????

To all,

I have never before monitored this forum so forgive me if it appears I am just bringing up a very old subject yet another time. The Edmund RKE eypieces have been on the market for very many years but I have never seen one in person, nor have I ever used one. I see them for sale from time to time on Astromart. Does this mean they are still considered good instruments???? I would appreciate anybody's comments about where they fit into the broad spectrum of currently available eyepieces. Some kind of evaluation please, even if it is just personal opinion. Give them a rating, like from 1 to 10, if you feel like it. I just want to get a basic idea of how good or bad they are generally considered to be.

TIA,
David Kernberger

October 18, 2008 03:19 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

What does "Minty" mean?

I've noticed the term "minty" used more and more lately, in classified ads, to describe a for-sale item's condition. At this time, is there any clear consensus among Astromarters of how this would translate into real english? If so, what is that translation??? My instincts tell me to watch out for the term because I am imagining it to just be a way of trying to over-hype the item. But, if I am wrong, I want to know.

Just wondering,
Dave K.

September 27, 2011 05:04 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Bausch & Lomb eyepiece ID

Can anybody tell me what the letters A S P on my oldish B & L 30 mm focal length eyepiece might mean? It is 1 1/4" diameter and is not a Huygenian (sp?) type, as it will focus an image on an an external surface. The image quality , when used in a telescope, appears to be just so-so. It also has at least some form of anti-reflection coating.

Thanks,
Dave K.

September 30, 2011 05:26 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Eye Relief variation

I want to fill a gap in my theoretical knowledge. For a given eyepiece, is the eye relief it provides dependent in any way on either the focal length of the objective or the focal ratio of the objective? If yes, what is the relationship? Thanks in advance.

Dave K.

October 13, 2011 07:45 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Huygenian eyepiece question

I realize most Astromarters are more concerned about modern eyepieces, but I still have a problem understanding why the primary image of the telescope objective falls between the lenses in a Huygenian eyepice. I am sure the answer is very simple but I cannot see the cause for it, when comparing diagrams of common older eyepieces. Is it the lens spacing? The relative focal lengths of the 2 lenses? or what? Thanks for humoring me.

Cheers,
Dave K.

October 16, 2011 02:55 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Eyepiece question

I realize most Astromarters are mainly concerned about modern eyepieces, but I still have a problem understanding why the primary image of the telescope objective falls between the lenses in a Huygenian eyepice. I am sure the answer is very simple but I cannot see the cause for it, when comparing diagrams of common older eyepieces. Is it the lens spacing? The relative focal lengths of the 2 lenses? or what? Thanks for humoring me.

Cheers,
Dave K.

October 27, 2011 05:54 PM Forum: Refractors

Huygenian eyepiece question

Can anybody tell me why the focal plane ol the telescope objective lens falls inside of a Huygenian eyepiece?? This phenomenon is apparently unique to this particular eyepiece design but I have not been able to find any explanation of why it happens. As near as I can tell, the design of both Ramsden and Kellner eyepieces are very closely similar but they do not behave in this same way. There must be some fundamental aspect of the design which is responsible, but which I am continually overlooking. I would very much appreciate a solution to this little puzzle.

Thanks in advance,
Dave K.

February 9, 2013 01:53 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

True numerical order on a Mac???

Not sure if this question is in the right place on AM. Is it possible to make numerical listings in a Mac OS 9.2.2 file appear in true numerical order?? The default order seems to be numbers sorted as if they were words (i.e. alphabetically). Perhaps there is a preference which can be reset???

Thanks,
Dave K.