Posts Made By: Paul Knight

November 26, 2006 05:49 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Best E-6 processing labs in Atlanta?...

Posted By Paul Knight

Does anyone know where the best place is in Atlanta to develop slide film for astrophotography? Thanks!

November 11, 2009 10:38 PM Forum: Binoviewers

best eyepieces for standard denkmeier + C8

Posted By Paul Knight

Does anyone have any recommendations for eyepieces paired with a standard denkmeier and an 8" celestron SCT? Looking for two sets: one for planetary (thinking ~12mm?) and one for wide field. I'm a graduate student so can't really blow the bank for an Ethos set, but feel free to recommend what you think best. Also, what's the widest field I can get w/ the binoviewer? Thanks!

December 4, 2009 09:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

HELP!!--My dust filter ate my C8's rear cell threa

Posted By Paul Knight

I started unscrewing my dust filter and realized it was stickier than normal. I get it off and realize that the threads for the rear cell of my C8 (about 10 years old) are stuck inside the threads of my dust filter. shocked Any suggestions of what to do?? I'm going to head to a camera shop to see if they can help me but wanted to go ahead and get your thoughts. Any help is much appreciated!!! Thanks! -Paul

December 9, 2009 02:00 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Starizona Power Pack vs. Celestron Power Tank

Posted By Paul Knight

Starizona 12V DC w/ (2) 4.5 amp-hour batters

OR

Celestron 12V DC 7 amp-hour batter

Which is best? And does anyone know the dimensions of the Starizona power pack?

February 3, 2010 05:00 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

How to determine North in an eyepiece?

Posted By Paul Knight

I have found some discussions on this but am still having trouble conceptualizing it. I understand how to determine the E-W line, but how do you determine the N-S line? I primarily use an SCT on a german equatorial mount but sometimes I use a refractor--would this change things? Many thanks!! -Paul

March 8, 2010 01:46 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Sky pollution comparison sketches

Posted By Paul Knight

The attached image shows 2 different sketches of the Orion Nebula. One was drawn in downtown Atlanta and the other in rural Clarkesville (in the northeast Georgia mountains). In both cases the equipment was exactly the same--Astro Tech 66 w/ a Denkmeier binoviewer and Meade SWA 18mm eyepieces. Just wanted to share. -Paul

November 8, 2010 04:46 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Losmandy GM8 PEC not working!!!!!!!

Posted By Paul Knight

For some mysterious reason my PEC did not work on my non-gemini GM-8 tonight. I tried twice. The light blinked as it should, I guided for 8 minutes, the light stopped blinking, but the drive didn't replay my corrections. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

November 16, 2010 01:42 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Did I see the dark plume heralding the SEB come-ba

Posted By Paul Knight

Attached is a sketch I made the night of Nov 7, 2010. At the time I just wanted to catch Io's transit and shadow across Jupiter but I kept noticing a high contrast area that was distracting. I made a note of it but didn't think anything of it. Then i saw Christopher Go's image of the dark plume on spaceweather.com and thought "did I see that?" Does anyone know how I could confirm this--perhaps back-track the rotational period back to Nov. 7th and see if the dark plume lands on the meridian (which is where I have it drawn)? Thanks!
Paul

December 29, 2010 01:24 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Saturn storm - visual obs

Posted By Paul Knight

After checking S&T's website to make sure saturn's storm would be visible i got up at 4 am to take a look with my 8" Celestron. The storm was supposed to cross the meridian around 6 am but I never saw it. I tried my hardest to make it out. Seeing was pretty good, transparency not great but not bad.
Just wondering if you all think visible obs of the storm are possible or if digital imaging is required. Thanks.

January 8, 2011 01:19 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Tripod / Mount for AT-66 Refractor

Posted By Paul Knight

I have a small AstroTech 66mm refractor and am looking for a light tripod for it. I want it to be a "grab and go" set up. I already have a Losmandy GM-8 for photography purposes so I just want a tripod for wide field visual use. Cost is a big factor as well. Any suggestions?
-Paul