My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Paul Knight

January 6, 2015 05:43 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Zeiss 20x60 mechanics

Posted By Paul Knight

I just bought a pair of these. They are absolutely amazing. Does anyone have any detailed information on how the mechanics of these work? I have researched this as far as I can on the internet but have not found anything beyond "they use a gimbal system" and "they don't need batteries." More information explaining the magic would be much appreciated. Thanks! -Paul

January 8, 2015 01:54 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Solar Filters for Zeiss 20x60 Binoculars?

Posted By Paul Knight

Does anyone have any recommendations for solar filters that will work with Zeiss 20x60s binoculars? I contacted Thousand Oaks and they said none of theirs will work and that I would have to fabricate my own system.
See attached image for dimensions.

February 3, 2015 01:27 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

“Your Favorite” or “The Best” Telescope for Visual

Posted By Paul Knight

I have been dreaming of building an observatory. I’m interested to hear opinions on what great telescopes are out there for visual use (no photography as I prefer sketching). Binoviewing is required--either a binocular telescope or a binoviewer. Here are some of my initial thoughts:

Celestron 14” SCT
Tele Vue 5” Refractor
Questar 7” Mak

For visual use, I would like to minimize chromatic aberration, maximize contrast, and maximize sharpness. I would say 50% of my observations are planetary, 40% deepsky, and 10% lunar/solar.

I found an interesting review comparing a C14 to a Questar 7. Per the reviewer, while the C14 obviously beats the Q7 in pure light-gathering power, the Q7 exhibited superior contrast.

Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

October 4, 2015 01:21 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Notes on Zeiss 20x60S Stabilized Binoculars

Posted By Paul Knight

I have written a review on my Zeiss 20x60 binoculars and would appreciate any comments you may have. Please comment directly on my website so I can more easily adjust my review as necessary.
http://www.paullknight.com/?p=2151

December 5, 2009 01:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

HELP!!--My dust filter ate my C8's rear cell threa

Posted By Paul Knight

Thank you all for your comments! I have attached some pictures just to clarify exactly what happened. The dust filter is a Lumicon. The threads that remain on the telescope are no the right size to screw anything else on to it. I will head over to the camera store and let you all know what transpires.

December 5, 2009 03:34 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Posted By Paul Knight

Took it into Camera Bug here in Atlanta. The guy's going to try and get it out of there. Even if he can get it out will it be ok for me to simply screw it back on? Or should I glue/solder it back on to make sure this doesn't happen again? If I can't get this rectified could I just order the part from Celestron?

December 9, 2009 02:11 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Posted By Paul Knight

The guys at Camera Bug couldn't separate the two. We have a call in with Celestron to see if they can send in the part replacement.
Instead of dealing with deadly-fogging-glue with the new part here's my plan: simply screw a new port on, then screw on a "locking ring" (like the one on my filter wheel...see pic), then screw on a 2" adapter/visual back. If things ever get this tight again the locking ring will be there so I can actually unscrew the adapter from the port. Sound like a good plan?
Thanks for all of your comments! I appreciate it!

December 9, 2009 11:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Posted By Paul Knight

YIKES!!!!! I contacted Celestron Support and was told it could take up to 45 DAYS to fix!!!! cwy I hope they are kidding.
Is there another supplier for this part??? I guess I could just put the stuck filter back on, but I've exposed it to alcohol and WD-40 (I know, I shouldn't have done that) so I'm worried it could seep onto the main mirror eventually...maybe not?... :S
Oh why did this have to happen during my 4 week break from grad school when i could actually USE my telescope....

May 28, 2011 07:47 PM Forum: How to make AstroMart BETTER!! My idea is.....

GEOMETRY PROBLEM

Posted By Paul Knight

Here's one solution I came up with but am wondering if a more elegant one is out there...

February 8, 2015 02:50 PM Forum: Equipment Talk