New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Hans Tucker

October 16, 2005 01:11 PM Forum: Takahashi

Tak Mewlon 250 adapting to G-11

Posted By Hans Tucker

Hello all,

Well I did the deed,after pondering for so long, and ordered a Takahashi Mewlon 250 Version 'S' and now all I have to do is wait or at least satisfy my viewing craving's using my FSQ-106.

My question is that I need to think about mounting the Mewlon 250 onto my Losmandy G-11 Mount. Will the Losmandy DUP accommodate the BRC Rings that come with the Version 'S' Mewlon?

October 30, 2005 09:44 AM Forum: Takahashi

Manual Focusing for Mewlon

Posted By Hans Tucker

Has any Takahashi Mewlon users out there tried to fit/adapt a non Takahashi brand manual Craysford style focusing unit. Presently Takahashi has a Cassegrain Focuser (TCF 0212) available for use with their Mewlon and CN212 line of scopes but I wonder if any users of these scopes have focuser unit made by the likes of Starlight Instruments fitted. Just the Tak TCF 0212 is $$$$$ and I am wondering if the electric focusing unit on the Mewlon 250 requires the assistance of a manual system for CCD imaging.

December 9, 2005 07:58 AM Forum: Takahashi

Mounting a G-11 on a EM400 Tripod??

Posted By Hans Tucker

Well I have been given the good news smile that the Mewlon 250S is on it's way, delivery next week, but alas the joy is short lived sad . I still have to wait on the notification that I can buy a Casady Dovetail mounting plate from the US for the Losmandy G-11...currently on the waiting list. That aside I have been looking at whether to replace the tripod for the G-11 with a less cumbersome more field portable wooden tripod like the one available for the Takahashi EM400 mount. This brings up a question how does a Takahashi equatorial head fit onto a tripod compared to a Losmandy G-11 equatorial head?

December 25, 2005 10:28 AM Forum: Takahashi

Piggy Back mounting an FSQ-106

Posted By Hans Tucker

G'day readers, did everyone have a good Christmas?

OK onto the serious stuff, has anyone reading this forum ever mounted a FSQ-106 using guide scope rings and if so what brand of guide scope rings are available that will slip onto the FSQ tube without having to dis-assemble the focuser and have enough adjustment on the three point screws. I am loaning my FSQ-106 to a mate so he can piggy back it on a RC 12.5" whilst I get familiar with my Mewlon.

Also, I am noticing that Takahashi is doing away with the FS series Fluorites (I guess Art and the boys at TNR will have to ammend their 'Advantage of Fluorite' article ) . Can anyone see the FSQ-106 following and being replaced by the TOQ-130?

January 3, 2006 07:52 AM Forum: Takahashi

Transit/Storage Case

Posted By Hans Tucker

G'day Readers,

I am looking at purchasing a transit/storage case for my new scope and wondering if there are other reputable case manufacturers other than Scopeguard that I should be looking at. Does Takahashi manufacture good solid Transit/Storage cases for their scopes, I know they do have available the Tenba soft cases but I would like something more solid and durable.

January 6, 2006 01:46 AM Forum: TeleVue

NP series Fluorite or not ??

Posted By Hans Tucker

Looking through the APM website I notice that the Televue NP101 & NP127 are listed under a Fluorite heading in the Refractors section. This mis-information regarding the NP range containing a lens element manufactured from Fluorite has been around since the introduction of the NP127 (well that's when I first noticed it)but I am still surprised this appears particularly on Markus Ludes website. Or am I the one mis-informed and the NP101 & NP127 do have Fluorite lens elements. The Televue website doesn't diclose any information to this fact.

January 10, 2006 09:54 AM Forum: Refractors

Oil vs Air Spaced Lens Elements

Posted By Hans Tucker

Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of Oil spaced over Air Spaced lens elements. Also does the oil degrade and become opaque over time therefore requiring more attention to servicing compared to air spaced elements. Why did Astro-Physics change from oil spaced lens elements on the 155 to air spacing on the 160.

I am looking at purchasing a 5" refractor and two options are the TOA-130 and the TEC-140.

January 11, 2006 11:52 AM Forum: Takahashi

STL1100 to FSQ-106

Posted By Hans Tucker

G'day Readers,

Can someone please save me a bit of time and provide me with the part numbers of the adaptors required to mate the STL1100M to a FSQ-106.

Thanks in advanced

January 19, 2006 10:35 AM Forum: Takahashi

Mewlon-250S

Posted By Hans Tucker

Well the Mewlon-250S finally arrived after some delay over Christmas, not that an early delivery would have been any good because I'm still waiting on the dovetail mounting plate. So what is different on the version S, well no standard dovetail plate and no magnetic weight normally found on the standard version of the Mewlon-250. So does the Mewlon-250S actually need this magnetic balance weight even though this version of Mewlon uses the Takahashi BRC-250 tube rings? This scope is still heavy towards the eye-peice/view finder end. I am just concerned that balancing in declination on the G-11 might be a problem.

January 25, 2006 11:16 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

Weight capacity of AWT00

Posted By Hans Tucker

G'day readers,

Anyone know what the maximum weight capacity is for the Astro-Physics AWT00 Adjustable Wooden Tripod is and what method this tripod uses to secure the equatorial head.