New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jason Boyce

February 10, 2008 12:08 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M46&NGC2438

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi all,

Had some more clear skies last night with much better conditions than my last attempt.Transparency was good,seeing was only about 3.5 arc seconds though,a bit windy.

I started with this cluster early in the evening and shot it right through the searchlights from the car lot down the street.
Why they feel the need to have 3 searchlights blasting into the sky is beyond me sad

Think it turned out ok though grin

This is 40 minutes luminance and 30 minutes each RGB taken with a TMB115 at F7 and my ST10xme.

I can't ID what looks like a little planetary on the right side of the image,anyone know what it is?

Thanks and comments,tips always welcome.

Jason

February 10, 2008 01:46 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Leo Trio

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi again,

I started on this after finishing up M46.I know it's been shot to death but this is the first getting them in one frame for me smile

Trying to get proper color on the galaxies proved to be tough for me,looking images by others they seem to go towards a blue coloration.My data was wanting to go on the redish side,difficult to get much blue in them.
I think longer or more Blue subs will help out here,just need to remember to go longer.

I have two versions to post and would like input on which you think looks better.

Here's the details;
LLRGB
L-30x240s
RGB-15x180s bin2x2

CCDStack for calibration,alignment,data rejection and the initial LRGB combine.CS2 for adding a sharpened Luminance,levels,curves and more I can't remember right now.

Here is the first.

TMB115 at F7
ST10xme
1200gto

February 12, 2008 01:40 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M3

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hello,

I took another try at this globular a few nights back,trying to get as deep as possible without too much blooming,think I fried the core a bit and probably need some shorter exposures to help with that.

It came out better than my first attempt but the color stack was very noisy for some reason,must be time for some new darks.

Seeing was poor with some thin high clouds at times.

ST10xme on a TMB115 at F7
1200gto
Luminance 300sx30
RGB 180sx15 each bin 2x2

Thanks for looking,your comments,suggestions always welcome.

Jason

February 15, 2008 03:48 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

NGC2359-Thor's Helmet

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hello,

I grabbed a bit of Ha on this before my weather went sour so thought I would post it.

Like the Bubble Nebula it is the result of a super hot Wolf-Rayet star shedding it's outer layers of gas,I find it a very fascinating subject.Much more expansive than I thought.I just picked up some of the outer material with my small scope.

Hopefuly my skies will clear up soon so I can get the LRGB before it's too late!

This is 10,15 minute subs taken in poor seeing combined in CCDStack and lightly deconvolved.Levels,curves and some tweaking with the shadow-highlight tool in Photoshop.

Reduced to 60% full size.

TMB115 at F7
St10xme
1200gto
6Nm Ha

Thanks for looking,

Jason

February 23, 2008 11:43 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M41

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi all,

I shot this one last night through some haze before the sky became completely cloud covered.

It's pretty low down in the light pollution of my Southern sky but with the short exposures I think it came out ok.

I did not get much time on it so this is only 10 minutes Luminance,5.5 minutes Red,4 minutes Green and 5.5 minutes of Blue.

Taken with a TMB115 at F7 and ST10xme.

Boy I am ready for some good weather patterns!

Thanks for having a look,

Jason

February 25, 2008 01:46 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Thor's Helmet HALRGB

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi all,

I got suprised by a clear sky last night so thought I would try to gather some color on this for the Ha I shot awhile back.

Couldn't get too much on it because it heads behind my house.

So this is now,
Ha-150 minutes
Lum-50 minutes
Red-26 minutes
Green-24 minutes
Blue-22.5 minutes

I was planning on 30 minutes Blue but had to toss the last sub.

I have several versions to post,if you would let me know which one you think looks better as far as color and such,I've been processing away on and off all day so my eyes feel a bit like this 8O Think I might be color blind right now wink

Taken with my TMB115 at F7 and ST10xme on a 1200gto.
Here's the first smile

Thanks for your opinions,

Jason

March 10, 2008 08:55 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Re: Focal reducer options

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi Joe,

I think if I were using a Starshoot and 8" sct I would use a 0.33x reducer to get as much FOV as possible.

Jason

March 15, 2008 04:52 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M81

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi all,

Yep, here's another of this galaxy.
I started shooting luminance on this back on March 4th between the clouds,got a couple hours worth.Shot another 80 minutes on the 8th.

Shot the color on the 11th,the best night I have seen in some time,very transparent skies!Unfortunately I had a problem with my filter wheel and ended up with less than half the subs I wanted,figures huh >sad

With the weather now against me again I decided to process what I have and move on.

So this is 200 minutes Lum,42 minutes Red,42 minutes Green and only 36 minutes Blue

The Lum image is pretty good but the color data was weak,I did what I could with it.

TMB115 at F7
ST10xme
1200gto

Thanks for looking,your critiques are most welcome,

Jason

March 21, 2008 03:27 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Inverted Moon shot

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi all,

I took a couple quick shots of the Moon last night,thought this was an interesting look smile

Single frame with a TMB115,ST10xme and an Astrodon 6nm Ha filter.
Had a couple craters bloom even with my shortest exposure time and the Ha filter 8O

Thanks for having a look,

Jason

March 22, 2008 06:37 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Full Moon,what to shoot?

Posted By Jason Boyce

Hi,

Never fails eh,clear skies with a full moon.
After shooting luminance of m106 a few nights before with only a bright moon I decided to go for something requiring shorter exposures!
M67 was my choice grin
Not an extremely exciting image but with clear skies I needed to shoot something.

Here's my result of 40x120s + 20x60s luminance and 10x120s each of RGB.

TMB115 atF7
ST10xme
1200gto

Thanks for looking,

Jason