Jerry Brown

NGC2246

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Greg Shaffer

August 20, 2014 07:31 PM Forum: Politics

Whooooweee lies, semi-lies, propaganda galore!

Posted By Greg Shaffer

1st time I have heard of the "Washington Monthly Magazine"

Some of the lies in this one made me throw up a little in my mouth.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/march_april_2012/features/obamas_top_50_accomplishments035755.php?page=all

October 15, 2014 05:24 PM Forum: Politics

Ebola

Posted By Greg Shaffer

So the CDC says - we know how to deal with this, we know how to stop it, there is no danger to Americans, the patient in Texas is no threat.

Fast forward to the 1st "trained" caregiver catching it from the patient. CDC response - it had to have been a lapse in protocol.

Fast forward to the 2nd caregiver who has now come down with it - CDC still says it had to be a lapse in protocol.

Are you going to still accept that if a 3rd "trained" caregiver comes down with it from that same patient? Or will you begin to realize its the "protocol" that is failing?

Looking at the CDC's protocol instructions on their website all that is recommended is a cloth mask, gown or suit, gloves (no booties). While the virus is not YET truly airborne that doesn't mean it cant be caught via the lungs by breathing their breath cloud for extended periods.

Even the CDC predicts when this round peaks approx. 10,000 people a day will be dying.....Does that sound like "we know what to do, we know how to stop it"?

November 7, 2014 03:38 PM Forum: Politics

Unemployment numbers

Posted By Greg Shaffer

I just saw where they are now claiming that unemployment numbers are at a new low of 5.8 percent. It is amazing what this government can come up with using "common core math" and the beauty of that is no one can look at it and understand how they arrived at that figure lol......

December 19, 2014 09:47 PM Forum: Mounts

Losmandy AZ-8 Alt-Az due out early 2015

Posted By Greg Shaffer

The Alt/Az mount, Part # AZ8 List $800.00 with tripod (scroll to bottom for pic)

All machined aluminum and stainless, black anodized
All stainless steel hardware
Two 2.100” diameter needle thrust bearing
Two 2.000” diameter needle thrust bearing
Duel saddle plates that accept Losmandy D series and Vixen V series dovetail plates
2.812” diameter, 7075 aluminum worm gear, 180 tooth, both axis
Dual supported, ball bearing housed ground High Precision Brass Worm
Variable slip clutch, both axes. One knob per axis design
Slow motion knobs both axis
Will accept our 12288 line encoder, Part # DSCH
Will accept the Gemini 2 GoTo system for Alt/Az GoTo
Four 1.500” diameter needle bearings
1.25” diameter aluminum shafts
Adjustable height tripod. 30” to 44”
Additional 6” riders

This is a GM8 mount machined into a Alt/Az mount design
40 pounds of equipment weight

Photo is a prototype. It will be all black.

December 20, 2014 06:55 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Tomorrow begins 8" refractor build officially

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Finally moving ahead with my 8" (7.75"clear aperture x BFL 123 3/8") which translates out to F/15.919 and tomorrow a friend and I are going to build the mockup to determine the exact 9" tube length....using 4 pcs of 1"x10' aluminum tubing, a leather belt around the cell, some motorcycle tiedowns, duct tape and a pc of 10x10 plywood with holes for the tubes in the corners and the focuser mounted in the middle and a couple more tiedowns on the other end.....rough aligned with a laser and then propped up to look in the sky if the clouds co-operate....find infinity focus and take some measurements so I can order the tube from from hastings irrigation. Plan is to account for using binoviewers without OCS or barlow and then use focuser extensions when single EP viewing.

My friend is also a machinist and is making the backing plate and adapting the cell to the tube....

January 8, 2015 12:31 AM Forum: Politics

Repeat after me.....

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Global warming Global warming Global warming smile

February 13, 2015 05:07 PM Forum: APM

Still here?

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Markus

Do you still monitor this forum? I have a couple questions about a product you offer and thought this might be a good place to ask them assuming you are still participating here....

Thanks

March 28, 2015 09:16 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Having so much fun.........

Posted By Greg Shaffer

While building the 8" f/16 refractor I couldn't resist starting another scope project I have had sitting around for 2 or 3 years. A Newtonian with a "Mark Harry" figured 6" f/4.5 mirror.

I had originally planned to build it as a truss design to match my 20" Dob and mount it on my 20" mirrorbox as a large finder.

I have had all of the stuff in the pic laying around for going on 3 years now......

May 25, 2015 09:56 PM Forum: Politics

The politics is getting thick in Oregon

Posted By Greg Shaffer

A community in Oregon who obviously isn't happy about the passing of the "recreational use" pot legalization has fired back with an ordinance. A local person didn't like that and fired back himself....

This is so ridiculous its hilarious on both counts.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/25/pendleton-oregon-fart-smell-peter-walters-marijuana_n_7437534.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

June 20, 2015 06:54 PM Forum: No Holds Barred

Re: I was robbed by AstroMart

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Scott Hefler said:

:C >sad :S .......I JUST placed an ad, out front, first page, PAID FOR IT....and less than 14 hours later my ad was not only OFF the front page....it was pulled COMPLETELY. (!!!) With no word as to when, why, where it went, NOTHING. Now I THOUGHT since I had just paid for a membership, AND paid for an up-front listing for 24 hours, that later in the afternoon I could check the progress of views, interest, etc....

NOPE!! It was gone. Vanished. Zilch. Zip. Nada. Has this happened to anyone else? Or is this just how AstroMart treats rookie newcomers to the site??? AND....I cant even hit a "CONTACT" link....They dont have one!!!

Methinks Ive been screwed!!!

Ive even been in communication with a fine gentleman from Seattle who has been extremely helpful, who said he had saved the link earlier in the day, tried going back to it last night, only to see a notification that "the classified you requested could not be found"......Pardon my French, but WTF???

Lemme know.....
Thx, Scott, Fresno, CA

Did you include any sort of personal contact information in the ad? That will result in removal.....

I have two suggestions. 1st thing you need to do is read the TOS in particular the section dealing with placing ads here. http://www.astromart.com/aboutus/terms.asp

I have to assume you have not read that since there are several references to the support email address contained therein which is [email protected] and you are griping about not being able to find contact info.

If your ad was removed because there was a TOS violation (you can figure that out when you read the TOS) I would also suggest when you contact them that you do so respectfully since it would be your mistake not theirs. Herb doesn't have a whole lot of patience with aggressive attitude from people who violate the TOS which is for their protection as well as AM's.

Been a happy member for a lot of years......and I am sure your issue will be handled well as long as you handle yourself well.

PS. I looked at your profile and there is an ad showing that you placed on the 19th for a tripod, I suspect that is the ad you are referring to so it has not "disappeared"......if you did not place it in the tripod category it may have been moved there and that is why you think it is gone. Here is a link to the active ad in the tripods category. http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=889524