My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Greg Shaffer

April 3, 2016 12:55 PM Forum: My Favorite WIMP.COM or YOUTUBE.COM

Brighten your day!!

Posted By Greg Shaffer

A little something to start an old crotchety astronomer's day off with a smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmSgv9A_ZqM

April 26, 2016 01:37 AM Forum: Telescope Making

New build 6" f/4.5 newtonian

Posted By Greg Shaffer

So I acquired a Mark Harry 6" mirror about 3 years ago that has been bugging for an OTA for a while now smile

Started fiddling with it in earnest a few months ago whenever the notion struck me. Have decided on making it a spiderless newt using an optical window to mount the secondary and contacted several glass houses for a quote to my specs for a window. Have the 8" tube, 2ndary, mirror cell etc all ready to go, starting on the cell for the window. If I like the way this turns out a 6.9" f/10 will be next with a window. Disregard the spider in the pic....Having read up on Ed Turco's windowed newt I am going that route.

June 1, 2016 02:29 AM Forum: Telescope Making

So I got the mirror for the windowed newt in.....

Posted By Greg Shaffer

6.7" f/9.2 by Mike Spooner. Testing under double pass autocollimator says its good....Time for coating. Pretty sure I will send it to Spectrum for the 98% MaxR coating.

Null image

July 5, 2016 05:40 PM Forum: Politics

Well...."the fix is in"

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Comey says even though Hillary broke the law there will be no charges filed....

Yep the fix is in..... UGGGHHHHH

July 8, 2016 09:06 PM Forum: Politics

Another trap set for police

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Early this morning in Valdosta GA an officer was shot multiple times after arriving to investigate a auto break-in....

The shooter was the same person that called it in, evidently setting a trap for whatever officer responded.

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/georgia-police-officer-shot-multiple-times-this-morning/267824041

July 11, 2016 01:05 AM Forum: Politics

Extremely good piece on the BLM movement....

Posted By Greg Shaffer

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/the-danger-of-the-black-lives-matter-movement/

July 27, 2016 03:52 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Re: Picture sizes allowed,

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Gary Parent said:

:C What kind of crap is this? I paid for a membership, start creating an ad, then you people tell me I can't have any pictures bigger than 500,000.00 kb's!

Really?????????

I have NO pictures anywhere near that small.

What a scam this site is.

What a ridiculous post..... resize your images using either MS Paint or other freeware such as PhotoScape (very nice and simple) and quit yer bitching lol

August 5, 2016 11:11 AM Forum: Politics

The Trump movement in a nutshell

Posted By Greg Shaffer

I couldn't agree more....

Great post by Miss Darla Anderson...

"We don't care if the guy swears... or how many times he's been married...or who he voted for, or what his income tax return shows. We want the problems fixed. Yes he's an egomaniac, but we don't care. We know he's not a racist, or bad to women, or all the other things the liberal media is trying to label him with. We know he's raised a good family, and that says a lot about him.

The country is a mess because politicians suck, the Republican Party is two faced & gutless, and illegals are everywhere and Muslims are openly trying to hurt this country and make the civilized world adjust to them. We want it all fixed!

We don't care that Trump is crude, we don't care that he has changed positions, we don't care that he fights with Megan Kelly, Rosie O'Donnell, and so many of the elected establishment. We don't care that Rubio, Cruz, Ryan, the Bush's, and so many other top old and new Republicans refuse to endorse him for their own selfish reasons, and we know what they are. We don't care that he doesn't know the name of some Muslim terrorists, we don't care that he tried some businesses that didn't work out.

This country is weak, bankrupt, our enemies are making fun of us, we are being invaded by illegals, we are becoming a nation of victims, where every Tom, Ricardo and Hasid is a special group with special rights to a point where we don't even recognize the country we were born and raised in, AND WE JUST WANT IT FIXED. And TRUMP is the only guy who seems to understand what the people want.

We're sick of politicians, sick of the Democratic and Republican Party. We're angry about the Iran deal, the budget, treatment of Israel, military weakness, lobbyists, special interests, overpaid politicians with their self serving bills and back room deals, trade deals, loss of jobs, manipulated economic numbers, businesses fleeing, and even the phoney pay for play Clinton Foundation.

Americans are no longer going to be fooled, and the movement is out to change the direction we're taking. Trump may not be a saint, but he doesn't have lobbyist money holding him, he doesn't have political correctness restraining him, and all you know is that he has been very successful, a good negotiator, he has built a lot of things, he's flexible, and he's also not a politician. And he says he'll fix it. And we believe him because he is too much of an egotist to be proven wrong or looked at and called a liar.

Public service has become elected greed. This may be our only chance to have a non-politician, despite his flaws, try and correct the mess, at least for 4 years. We must take the shot, because the consequences of putting Hillary Clinton in office are frightening. There is a tidal wave happening, and its going to overcome much of what's happened to this country.

August 7, 2016 08:18 PM Forum: Politics

Interesting Trump vs Hillary stats....

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Soooooo it would appear the media polls are being manipulated big time....pretty much all of them.

1. AM's own poll currently gives an 8% lead to Trump (surprising but a fact)

2. Trump's FB page has over 10 million likes, Hillary's only 5 million

3. Clintons Live Stream post 11,000 likes, 321,000 views. Trump's? 135,000 likes, 1.5 million views

4. YouTube live Stream - Trump averages 30,000 live viewers per stream, Hillary only 500 per stream

5. Reddit - Trump has 197,000 subscribers vs Hillary's 24,000

Say what you will, all the indicators are there.... In all likelihood Trump is going to be the next President and the MSM along with their polls are full of shit smile

August 11, 2016 07:26 PM Forum: Politics

Congrats!!

Posted By Greg Shaffer

I would like to thank Rich, Russ and Jim

You guys have managed to do a condensed instant replay of the last six months worth of discussion regarding the election in ONE morning smile