Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Bubble Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Greg Shaffer

July 31, 2021 04:49 PM Forum: Politics

Dumbest thing on the net today.....

Posted By Greg Shaffer

OK.....made me laugh Russ lol

August 1, 2021 03:26 PM Forum: Politics

'Freedom-loving' Conservatives...

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Guess that one semi-points to me.....

I have for the most part kept my thoughts  on Covid to myself. Way too many differing opinions from "experts" both real and imagined for me to make a truly informed decisive call on this Covid thing. I caught it, survived it with flying colors and resolved to wait and see. That doesnt mean I dont have questions though.
 
1st and foremost being *What exactly is the proposed endgame here?* *Exactly when do we resolve ourselves that it is just another reality we need to recognize and move on from?*

It certainly isnt going to just magically go away. *At what point do we accept that less than 1% of those who get it may die and accept that as just a reality along the lines of a certain percentage of folks die in car wrecks but we still drive cars?* *Do we just continue to cancel, postpone and reconsider or do we get on with our lives?*

I understand and accept that Covid can be deadly for SOME people and that this isnt likely to change, I also understand that shellfish and strawberries can be as well. What I am not willing to do is give up my free will and liberty so that others can assuage their irrational fears.

We need to either get busy living or get busy dying....but its high time to choose and get on with it.

August 5, 2021 03:11 PM Forum: Politics

Totalitarian Threats by Totalitarian President Biden MUST Be Ignored.

Posted By Greg Shaffer

I cant really envision anything that would constitute greater grounds for impeachment. Openly defying the Constitution you swore to uphold and support in your oath of office would seem to indicate and require immediate impeachment proceedings to me.

August 5, 2021 03:26 PM Forum: Politics

It turns out that Joe Biden is the biggest spreader of Covid in the nation.

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Perhaps this logic explains some of the vaccine/mask hesitancy as well.....

"I wear a mask to protect you, so you need to wear one to protect me"

"That is so nice of you, while we are on the topic of protecting each other.....I carry a sidearm to protect both you and myself if something goes down. Do you carry a sidearm to protect me?"

"Well, no..."

"Why not?"

"Because its a gun....I dont want to"

"So you do understand the concept of choice, as well as personal freedom"

"Well I dont carry a gun because......"

"It doesnt matter....If it could protect me, you should do it....right? I carry because my safety is my responsibility, I dont expect others to keep me safe."

Logic is a bitch.....no doubt some will have some illogical arguments to contradict this with.... smile

August 5, 2021 05:52 PM Forum: Politics

It turns out that Joe Biden is the biggest spreader of Covid in the nation.

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Originally Posted by James Brown

Hi Greg:

The punchline delivered by your hypothetical hero is profoundly flawed. 

We all expect others to keep us safe.  I don't think this can be denied, unless one is a hermit living in the woods completely detached from society.  On the highway for example, we all expect our fellow drivers to be sober.  We lock them up in jail if they refuse to comply.  We do that to protect innocent third parties, not to protect the drunks.  We all expect lawful gunowners to use their guns in a lawful and safe manner.  You know what we do, if they refuse.  We expect our tradesmen to build to code.  We expect our restaurant cooks to comply with the health regs.

And so on - I think one could argue that a key reason societies evolved is because we all work together to keep each other safe, which is the same as saying part of the social agreement is that we expect others to abide by rules to keep us safe.  I'm happy we have an army, a police force, first responders and so on - because they keep me safe.

Personal liberty is something I cherish, but personal liberty has its limits too - and public safety is at the foundation of many of those limits.  I can think of countless examples where public safety trumps my personal liberty.  Requiring kids to be vaccinated against childhood diseases if they attend public school is one point where public safety trumps personal liberty that I have no problem with.

Jim

Told ya someone would come along and make an illogical argument and here ya are lol

I dont expect you to come running if I am attacked, I will allow that you MIGHT but I certainly wouldnt bet my life on it. I am perfectly content with being responsible for my own safety. Now if being prepared to protect myself affords me the chance to protect someone else then great, I am happy to do so. Laws and wishful thinking mean little in the moment.....so you really arent making a valid point. Laws and police etc are about dealing with the aftermath and have little to do with the moment. 

August 5, 2021 06:02 PM Forum: Politics

It turns out that Joe Biden is the biggest spreader of Covid in the nation.

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

Please Jim, you're trying to argue with the "logic" of a Trumptoid and their go-to argument of personal freedoms and liberties along with lack of government inclusion in local affairs. The latter is exemplified by Ron Desantis who will cut local school district funding if they institute mitigation measures or fine local and county officials for doing the same....   

So I gave a little thought to things I trust more than your opinion on pretty much anything Rod....

1. A mixed drink from Bill Cosby
2. A Somalian cruise line
3. A prostate exam from Cpt Hook
4. A Styrofoam gas can
5. A Nigerian prince inheritance email
6. Helen Keller as my plane pilot
7. Flint Michigan tap water
8. Breast milk from Bruce Jenner
9. Facebook's free speech protection
10. A blood transfusion from Charlie Sheen

Thats just my top 10 in no particular order......it is a long list smile

August 5, 2021 09:57 PM Forum: Politics

It turns out that Joe Biden is the biggest spreader of Covid in the nation.

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

Nothing like taking the law(s)into your own hands, right Greg?
PS: Guess you've never heard of 911, or preventive measures for public safety, public health and things like covid so you don't have to call in the first place...

I said being attacked Rod.....you think you have time to call 911 if someone is beating you to death? I predicted illogical arguments. You didnt disappoint lol

August 5, 2021 10:25 PM Forum: Politics

It turns out that Joe Biden is the biggest spreader of Covid in the nation.

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

So you and everybody else should be armed and be able to to respond in that manner on the remote chance that walking down the street or wherever when "someone" might decide to beat you to death? And that's somehow, "logical"?...

It was just a rather extreme example of logic Rod.....

You say you wear a mask to protect me so I should wear one to protect you.

I say I carry a gun to protect you so you should carry one to protect me. 

Same logic....yet you will argue till the cows come home against the latter smile

August 5, 2021 11:30 PM Forum: Politics

It turns out that Joe Biden is the biggest spreader of Covid in the nation.

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

Except that the reality is we're all in the midst of a raging pandemic where mitigation measures makes sense. Your example is more akin to carrying a parachute on your next flight out of an airport on the remote chance the jet might crash...

Tell that to people living on the south side of Chicago.....

August 6, 2021 04:38 AM Forum: Politics

Totalitarian Threats by Totalitarian President Biden MUST Be Ignored.

Posted By Greg Shaffer

Well I AM a landlord and have 9 rental properties.....and I was directly affected by the last "moratorium" on evictions in a big way.....so yes I take that "threat" personally, very personally, in fact there is little I take more personally than someone reaching their hand in my pocket and relieving me of my money. 

If it gets any more "personal" I could end up losing a large chunk of my retirement plans.....So yeah, I am fed up with these fools we have for a government.....