My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Russell Cole

March 4, 2010 02:21 PM Forum: Religion

Colbert Interviews Vatican Meteorite Curator

Posted By Russell Cole

A very nice breath-o-fresh-air in this forum, and definitely worth a watch.

March 9, 2010 05:57 PM Forum: Religion

Salvation or Good Works

Posted By Russell Cole

I think the two are inseparable, for most of we able bodied folks. Works are not required for salvation, but the faith that is required for salvation will lead those that are capable to do good works.

March 12, 2010 01:50 PM Forum: Religion

Objective Reality

Posted By Russell Cole

Awesome post, Jim. I feel I am very close to the same place as you.

March 16, 2010 03:08 PM Forum: Religion

A quote

Posted By Russell Cole

Oh, yeah, quotes...

Both sides, in this forum, are guilty of Confirmation Bias.

"The moment a person forms a theory his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory." Thomas Jefferson

"I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their life." Tolstoy

"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him." Tolstoy

March 26, 2010 12:30 PM Forum: Religion

Guess this one missed the Ark...

Posted By Russell Cole

Well, evidently, getting on the ark, was not "so easy a caveman could do it". smile

April 16, 2010 12:29 PM Forum: Religion

Is God Logical?

Posted By Russell Cole

I would say yes.

Not just my Christian God, but any concept of an infinite, top-of-the food-chain". all knowing being. Granted some concepts of god(s) include insane illogical or otherwise faulty beings, but for my purposes here, I am only including concepts of god(s) that are supposedly perfect beings.

It would not matter what we consider logical. The one who sets the standards gets to decide what is logical. Even if those standards seem whacked in every way.

In other words, he who has the ball gets to decide what game we play.

April 27, 2010 04:59 PM Forum: Religion

What about other life?

Posted By Russell Cole

I got no problems with the possibility of alien life. In fact, it seems almost unimaginable that some form of life does not exist out there.

I'm pretty sure that most of my fellow Baptists would have a hard time really weaving alien life into the Biblical view of things. They take the Bible too literally and "westernly" thinking.

It would be interesting to see input on this topic from a non-christian religious point of view.

May 3, 2010 12:28 PM Forum: Religion

Omniscience

Posted By Russell Cole

I feel I have to accept both predetermination and freewill exist together.

But that does not answer the big question, of "Why?".

One could very easily see a Gnostic like God that is insane. Trying the same experiment, to get different results, but knowing the outcome will be the same.

I think it is more like, God knows the outcome, but the process is needed. We refine many things and we don't just jump straight to the product.

And that still does not answer "Why?".

May 4, 2010 02:11 PM Forum: Religion

Religion inhibits skepticism

Posted By Russell Cole

I would say that is true religion aside. We tend to like to follow.

My big awakening on this, was decades ago at a Rolling Stones concert. I went to the restroom only to find a long (long long) line. I went to the front just to see, and there were two guys talking and the restrooms were empty. I asked about a line, and they said there was no line. I told the crowd that the restrooms were empty, and I went on in.

People are cattle, and like lemmings. We'd follow the crowd right off a cliff, or stand in a line until we starved to death.

Just watch politics. Politicians don't come up with ideas. They just find a group of people going somewhere and get in front. They are charismatic and people just start listening to them.

May 13, 2010 01:06 PM Forum: Religion

Hmm, and I though it was the Religion forum.

Posted By Russell Cole

I like the flypaper comment the best. I could say it was like a watering hole, and the lions (A/As) wait for the zebras (any religious fool who happens along), and then they eat them. But it is not a watering hole, because there is no water. It is maybe really more like a bug zapper.

Why then am I here? I like Astromart and the many things it offers. As for this particular forum... I just can't ... resist ... the shiny lights.