Posts Made By: James Witt

January 11, 2006 03:18 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Selecting eyepieces

Posted By James Witt

Greetings,

I am not sure where to start or exactly what sort of information would be helpful, so here it goes. I retired about 4 years ago and I'm 56. My "seeing" conditions are most often pretty good ... I would assume ... when compared to a city like Phoenix Arizona. Most of my viewing will be “out of the city” in Pine Arizona, with a Latitude of 34.39 N, Longitude: 111.46 W and "my" elevation is 5,650. I also should mention that I am a complete novice. I hope to acquire your knowledge about my current eyepieces and advise on purchasing additional quality eyepieces for visual viewing with my C-9.25 (and other scopes). I am very interested in DSO and especially Lunar. I started out with an Orion ST-80 and still have it. I also have an FSQ-106N (not here yet), FS-60C and a G-11 (not GOTO) mount. I have a Type I Hutech Rebel, an ATIK ATK-1HS II, a ST-4 and a WO SCT 2 speed focuser. Of course I plan on getting into astrophotography soon and have dabbled a touch already. I currently own a powermate 2.5x, a 32mm TV Plossl, 8mm TV Radian and a 18mm TV Radian. Any suggestions and explanations would be very much appreciated.

I should mention that I did search the archives and did quite a bit of reading but I am still a bit confused.

-JW:

March 11, 2006 08:44 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Hardcase hardware(?)

Posted By James Witt

Hi,

Just curious if anyone knows if the hardware on these type of cases is proprietary (end caps, latches, etc.)?

http://www.scopeguard.com/IMG_0110l.jpg

If not, do you happen to know where the hardware can be purchased?

-JW:

May 3, 2006 05:13 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Quick Bino Tutor

Posted By James Witt

Bino(s),

Before I take the plunge into Bino madness, I need some information. I’ve already decided what to purchase, but have a question before doing so. Is there anything I should be aware of that would prevent ME from using them. I’m talking eyesight wise or some other physical eye type problem. I do wear glasses but not full-time. I can’t see far away (near-sided I suppose). My right eye is nearly normal, according to the doc, but I do have stigmatisms. I have a pair of Canon 12x36 IS II and never noticed a problem viewing through them.

I also purchased one of those Coronado Solarmax 60mm f/6.6 <0.5A H-Alpha telescopes that I’d like to use the binos on. Just don’t want to spend the money if I’m not aware of potential viewing problems.

-JW:>?

May 4, 2006 10:39 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Solarmax(?)

Posted By James Witt

Need some help please,

Just curious if they're any Solar images here? Just bought a Solarmax D/S 60mm and would like to get into imaging with it. I have a Atik 2HS camera, Hutech Rebel and a Canon 1D Mark II. Any suggestions getting started with the actual imaging procedures and settings would be greatly appreciated. I'm NOT talking about processing images via Photoshop or ImagesPlus (got'a get the images first).

Thanks,
-JW:

May 6, 2006 09:05 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

My first image ...

Posted By James Witt

Hi,

Did a few lunar images tonight for the first time ever. Seeing and transparency weren't that good tonight either. Still couldn't get the focus spot on (due to the seeing condtions tonight).

Using a Celestron 9.25", Atik 2HS and a focal reducer. I'm a total novice with Registax and just guess my way through the program. The second image is without the focal reducer.

May 20, 2006 02:20 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Collecting eyepiece data

Posted By James Witt

Need some here,

I seem to be putting together a pretty big quality eyepiece collection so far. I want to compile some relevant detailed information on each eyepiece I currently own, either in the form of a database and/or individual sheets for each.

What short of "specific data" should be included on the form for each eyepiece, what kind of comparisons or evaluations, if any should, I included? I suppose I am asking what sort of data will be useful down the road to myself and others. Since I am new to this hobby and still in the beginning learning stages, I want my information to be useful. I am not concerned how much time this will take either.

-JWW:

May 26, 2006 02:21 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Tak LE eyepiece caps

Posted By James Witt

Hi,

Does anyone know for a fact (notice the fact) where and what size of caps fit the Tak LE's. I'm NOT talking about the bottom 1.25" Barrel cap, but the TOP cap? I asked OPT to send me the top and bottom caps but they only sent the 1.25" Barrel caps.

Thanks,
-JW:

May 31, 2006 07:19 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

First Solar shots with a ST2000XM

Posted By James Witt

Hi,

Well I've been struggling with the learning curve of the ST2000XM for a few days. Of course I’m still “just getting started” with this camera. Here are a couple of my “first light” images with it.

-JW:

June 1, 2006 08:32 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Da1stMoon

Posted By James Witt

Howdy,

Well I fired up my SKYnyx tonight for it's first light. After struggling all day with different flavors of software and bugging a few of you off-line (thanks Wes) …… I thought I'd do something different. Unfortunately seeing was poor and really boiling. So I said to myself, since I wasted my entire day messing with software, why not play with all the little Tak adapters before the Moon sets.

-JW:

June 1, 2006 10:20 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Opto-Wipes

Posted By James Witt

Hi,

Just a point of information. I ordered 800 - 2" x 4" Opto-Wipes from OPTO-Alignment in NC about a week ago. I didn't ask what shipping cost happend to be. I figured it couldn't be more then 3 bucks. The package arrived in one of those mailing envolopes. Inside was a plastic 8" x 8" zip lock bag "opened" with half of them inside the mailer. I guess they are dry when new? I can live with poor service because that's the way most everything is today but when I looked at the invoice they charged me $12.00 for "freight charge". 8O

-JW::S