Image of the day

Captured by
Paul Walsh

Wet beak - he had just skimmed the neighbor's pond.

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Hopkins

March 25, 2003 12:40 PM Forum: Religion

Who are the Peaceniks?

Posted By John Hopkins

My first job was as a short-order cook in a small midwest chain of restaurants. The manager at that time said he was in college during all the Vietnam hoopla and claimed most all of them went to protests/rallies because it was something fun to do. Only a relative handful were really serious about it.

That's the first thing I thought of when the local news said that all kinds of high school students were ditching class to attend rallies...

April 9, 2003 12:16 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Recommended dealers?

Posted By John Hopkins

I bought my Nexstar 5i two weeks ago from Anacortes, even though there *is* a scope dealer within driving distance. The reason was partially the sale AWTB had going but the other was that this (unnamed) local place has one of the worst customer service attitudes I've seen anywhere.

One of my fondest Hit The Lottery dreams is not just to get my dream scope but to open a local shop that actually cares about people who walk in.

April 10, 2003 06:31 PM Forum: Religion

Divinity of Jesus

Posted By John Hopkins

Probably these anwers are obvious, but anyway...

>>1) Jesus: human/divine?<<

Human.

2) Jesus: mythical/real? (although i anticipate the answers to that one.)

Real. Although he may not have been taken note of by other writers of the time, I think the Bible at the very least establishes that Jesus was a real person.

April 18, 2003 12:34 PM Forum: DVDs and Music and Books That You Recommend

Favorites.

Posted By John Hopkins

My most played dvd's --

Bride of Frankenstein
Them!
Rear Window
Kronos
Vampyr
Yojimbo
War of the Worlds (remastered so well you can now see the strings on the Martian ships clear as day, and it doesn't matter!)
The Planets (doc)

April 18, 2003 03:28 PM Forum: Religion

Old English prayer

Posted By John Hopkins

"Trust in Allah, but tie your camel." --Arabian proverb

May 5, 2003 01:21 PM Forum: Religion

Nietzsche still dead!

Posted By John Hopkins

Well forgive me, but this is something of a pet peeve of mine: Nietzsche was *not* the source for the Nazis. Certain fascist-leaning academics, with the 'help' of N.'s sister, helped themselves to favor by advancing grossly simplified interpretations after Nazism's distinctive flavor was established.

They kept quiet about the fact that some of N.'s bitterest critiques were of the Germans, and that he had written admiringly of the Jews for maintaining their identity despite centuries of being dispersed to the winds.

Bushido is an entirely different story.

May 12, 2003 03:38 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Wifes & equipment budget

Posted By John Hopkins

Reason #1472 why I'm still single...

May 16, 2003 02:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

What's a good battery?

Posted By John Hopkins

For one that has it all, Celestron now puts their name on a Power Tank (I think both ATWB & Astronomics carries it). A bit expensive but a very nice unit. Has terminals for jumper cables & everything.

May 16, 2003 03:34 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Collecting shipping insurance, damaged scope

Posted By John Hopkins

Hate to tell you this, but UPS has an even worse reputation when it comes to insurance claims, which is why I stopped using them. There was a thread here a few months back on this very subject, and advise against using UPS was nearly unanimous.

May 20, 2003 11:18 AM Forum: DVDs and Music and Books That You Recommend

Star Trek NG

Posted By John Hopkins

Seasons 4, 5 & 6 had an abundance of good episodes.

Picked up season 2 of Deep Space Nine recently. Never watched it much when it was on, but seems excellent now.