Posted By John Hopkins

Check this link:
http://www.astunit.com/tutorials/collifrac.htm

And another one (in PDF format):
http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/Downloads/AdjustableLens.pdf

February 23, 2004 11:49 AM Forum: Politics

Politics forum - a good thing

Posted By John Hopkins

The name-calling on PR&P wasn't all that bad -- it approached out-of-line a few times, but generally kept it civil until the troll showed up. It never occurred to me to ask for a separate Politics forum until that happened.

February 23, 2004 12:00 PM Forum: Religion

February 27, 2004 07:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Astomart-aholic - 10 Step Program ?

Posted By John Hopkins

>>find myself constantly hitting the refresh button to see what's new for sale<<

That explains why nearly every time a Nagler gets posted it's sold within minutes.

February 29, 2004 03:27 PM Forum: Religion

I suppose this was inevitable...

Posted By John Hopkins

...and by the way, the French have banned The Passion from their cinemas. Apparently you can't even discuss the Holocaust in schools over there without Muslim students taking offense.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-passion29.html

March 10, 2004 12:58 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Dave?

Posted By John Hopkins

When's the restraining order going up for bids?

March 12, 2004 12:08 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Why I think 'The Passion' is evil...

Posted By John Hopkins

That the Jewish leaders *may* have used the Romans' penchant for stringing up insurgents for their own ends is not completely outside the realm of possibility either. To invoke a cliche, truth is often stranger than fiction. Without a time machine to verify anything, all we've got is hearsay. It *could* have happened as depicted, just as it could have been some other variation, or not at all.

You're labeling it as anti-Semitic is unfounded, imo.

>>With posts like that, you should have a popularity increase<<

Fabulous. If anyone figures out a way that can come in handy, let me know.

March 13, 2004 07:28 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Why I think 'The Passion' is evil...

Posted By John Hopkins

>>They are forced to either accept the movie as historical or completely ignore it.<<

Bzzzt. Not true.

March 16, 2004 09:06 AM Forum: Religion

The Christian stereotype

Posted By John Hopkins

There is no typical Christian.

Everyone in my extended family but me is a Christian, and they're all different. IMO the only type of believer who even deserves to be shoehorned into a stereotype is the obnoxious TV-preacher sort of fundamentalist. As has been indicated right in this forum, there are other fundamentalists just as offended by these vermin as skeptics are.

March 22, 2004 01:25 PM Forum: Religion

Does this make any sense?

Posted By John Hopkins

After reading a forum on another site, this to-do turns out to be a couple of black parents wanting the books out of the school because they have the N-word in them.

Somewhat ironic considering that both Mockingbird and Chronicles use it to put a spotlight on racist hatred.

But at least it makes a *little* more sense now. I read Chronicles several times and couldn't see why anyone would object.