My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: William Green

August 22, 2008 06:13 PM Forum: Investment Discussions

How Long Before the S&P 500 Comes Back?

Posted By William Green

I'm soliciting (educated) guesses regarding when the S&P 500 will get back to where it was last October, i.e., about 1550. Any takers??? I'm feeling very bearish, so I'll say five years.

Bill (whose investments are down a cool 25% since last October)

August 24, 2008 06:03 PM Forum: Refractors

What does "well corrected" mean exactly?

Posted By William Green

The phrase "well corrected" is used a lot among amateur astronomers, but I have yet to see anyone explain exactly what the term means in the optics field. The phrase certainly has no intrinsic meaning, so to speak. I gather that it means "true to life" or "brings all colors to same focus" or some such.

Can anyone here (Mr. Christen, perhaps?) explain what this phrase means exactly in the optics business?

Oh, and another thing, what does the term "saturated" mean in the context of the color of an object when viewed through a scope? I gather that it means "intense" or "vivid," but, again, I've never seen anyone define the term.

In my field, law, words are our only tools, and I find that precise definitions are desirable, even necessary. I also find that not everyone has the same understanding of what words mean.

Thank you.

Bill

September 27, 2008 07:50 PM Forum: Takahashi

TOA-150 on a Losmandy G-11?

Posted By William Green

Has anyone observed (or even imaged) with this combination? I'm wondering whether I might risk putting a TOA-150 on a G-11 for visual. Other mounts in this weight class tend to be outside my price range.

Ed Ting, on his website, has a pic of such a set-up, but he expresses no opinion of its stability:

http://scopereviews.com/bfsp.html

Thank you.

Bill

October 6, 2008 12:10 AM Forum: After Dark

Takahashi Fine Focuser

Posted By William Green

The New FSQ scopes have built-in fine focusers, right? Why don't the TOA scopes have built-in fine focusers?

Bill

November 30, 2008 08:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Starlight Focusers

Posted By William Green

Starlight focusers are greaseless, right? They never require re-lubing?

Thank you.

Bill

December 11, 2008 11:42 PM Forum: Refractors

D & G Optical Achromats

Posted By William Green

I am considering purchase of a D&G 6" f/12, and I would appreciate receiving comments from those who own or have owned that telescope. If you prefer, you can send me a private message.

Thank you.

Bill

March 21, 2009 07:10 PM Forum: SCI-FI

"Knowing" is a dud!

Posted By William Green

I give it a B- for plot, A+ for special effects (but every sci-fi movie has good special effects these days).

Say, what'd you think about BSG's finale? I thought it was somewhat satisfying, but I was hoping for more.... Kinda sad finale, really.

Bill

May 16, 2009 11:15 PM Forum: Takahashi

Land, Sea & Sky (a/k/a Texas Nautical Repair)

Posted By William Green

I was in Houston today and, as I usually do, I dropped by Land, Sea & Sky (a/k/a Texas Nautical Repair), the Takahashi distributor in the U.S.A. LSS is a *very* nice shop, with hundreds of items of interest. Among the items on display were a TOA-130, an FSQ-106, and an FSQ-85. Sakes alive, they are beautiful telescopes! Images of them do not do them justice.

Bill

May 19, 2009 02:40 PM Forum: Takahashi

Takahashi Schmidt-Cassegrain?

Posted By William Green

Art (or anyone),

Has Takahashi ever considered making another SCT? Was the original one discontinued due to lack of sales? It would make an exciting addition to their product line.

Bill

July 31, 2009 04:55 PM Forum: Refractors

PV What?

Posted By William Green

With respect to the optical quality of a triplet-lens refractor, what does the phrase "certified as minimum 0.25PV" mean? Would "0.25PV" be good, bad, or mediocre? I think I know, but I'd rather have someone more knowledgeable explain this to me. smile

Thank you.

Bill