New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Bob MacArthur

March 15, 2006 07:52 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

messier marathon

Posted By Bob MacArthur

Hello,

I am going to do a messier marathon this year. I was wondering if any body has any observation lists they would like to share. I will be doing the marathon at 40 degrees N latitude. I did my 1st with an 8" newtonian about 2 years ago and I got 106! Those pesky sunset and sunrise object go me:-) This year I will be using a 12" dob. So any help on order or any lists would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Bob

March 15, 2006 08:21 AM Forum: After Dark

messier marathon

Posted By Bob MacArthur

Hello,

I am going to do a messier marathon this year. I was wondering if any body has any observation lists they would like to share. I will be doing the marathon at 40 degrees N latitude. I did my 1st with an 8" newtonian about 2 years ago and I got 106! Those pesky sunset and sunrise object go me:-) This year I will be using a 12" dob. So any help on order or any lists would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Bob

November 7, 2006 07:25 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mercury Transit and PST

Posted By Bob MacArthur

So I have a PST and was wondering if the Mercury transit will be easily observable or not? Any thoughts?

Keep Looking Up

March 1, 2012 07:29 PM Forum: Eyepieces

6mm Radian or 5mm Radian

Posted By Bob MacArthur

Ok so I have a Televue Pronto (70mm) f/6.8 and a 8" dobsonian f/5.9. I am currently using a 13mm Nagler and need more magnification for planets. I want to get a good view with out going overboard in magnification while keeping the cost down. I am looking at a 5mm or 6mm Radian. Any suggestions on which one I should go with?

Thanks,

Bob

March 7, 2012 05:14 PM Forum: After Dark

Black Polymer solar filter vs glass.

Posted By Bob MacArthur

Hey I am looking a getting a new solar filter for my 70mm Televue Pronto. I am stuck between a Thousand Oaks black polymer or Glass filter.

Any suggestions? What are your experiences with black polymer for visual observation of the sun?

I am planning on watching the May eclipse and the June Venus transit.

Thanks,

Bob

March 7, 2012 05:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

black polymer or Glass filter

Posted By Bob MacArthur

Hey I am looking a getting a new solar filter for my 70mm Televue Pronto. I am stuck between a Thousand Oaks black polymer or Glass filter.

Any suggestions? What are your experiences with black polymer for visual observation of the sun?

I am planning on watching the May eclipse and the June Venus transit.

Thanks,

Bob

March 15, 2006 12:06 PM Forum: After Dark

messier marathon

Posted By Bob MacArthur

Another Question 109 M objects or 110 M objects? I have read and some say 109 and others say 110.

Help:-)

Bob

March 15, 2006 12:08 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

messier marathon

Posted By Bob MacArthur

Another Question 109 M objects or 110 M objects? I have read and some say 109 and others say 110.

Help:-)

Bob

March 20, 2006 08:44 AM Forum: After Dark

messier marathon

Posted By Bob MacArthur

Yes now that is what I am talking about. Thanks for all of the great resources. It has been fun reading everybody's thoughts. Now I just have to get my scope calibrated and all of my observing stuff back together. My wife and I just had our second child and I have not been out observing in about 2 months. I am very lucky she is letting me out for a couple of nights this weekend:-)

Thanks,

Bob

November 10, 2006 04:43 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mercury Transit and PST

Posted By Bob MacArthur

Woo Hoo! Just got back from outdoor education up in Rocky Mountain National Park. My 6th grade students got a treat. We watched Mercury enter the Sun's disk. Then we went on a great 2 hour hike and looked at Mercury again. The kids were amazed to see that the disc had moved. What a view through the PST also. I used a 12.5 Plossl and got a great view of the transit, prominences, and sun spot.

Keep Looking Up,

bobmac