My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Michael Kulick

February 4, 2007 07:22 PM Forum: Maksutovs

Um....LOMO Astele 133.5

Posted By Michael Kulick

Hi, all. I recently acquired a LOMO Astele 133.5 'EL'(fork-mounted with motor drive) 8O Seems like a nicely-made scope and appears to give good planetary/lunar views. The scope came with a homemade wedge and tripod, nicely executed by the previous owner, although I believe something more steady/heavy-duty would be preferable. There is a dovetail mounted to the scope with two fasteners from inside the tube. The width of this dovetail, however, appears to be about 1 7/8" compared to the 1 3/4" width of the Vixen standard dovetail. I don't think I want to disassemble the OTA to replace it, but wonder if there is something available to adapt it so it could be mounted on an LXD-75 setup. I would also need to remove the fork mount if I go this route. Another thought would be to get a wedge/tripod from another SCT and mount the assembly on that. The scope comes with a little controller box that holds a 9v battery & attaches to the mount with what looks like a phone cord. It's operation seems a little erratic (the PO never used it, preferring the slow-motion knobs provided) and seems to require some attention if it is to be used. Can anyone suggest a source of info on this telescope, as there were no manuals or parts breakdowns provided? I know these are no longer available in the U.S. but am hoping someone will chime in with some ideas.
Kind regards,
Mike.

March 24, 2007 10:23 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Which diagonal, 1 1/4" or 2" ??

Posted By Michael Kulick

Other than giving up the ability to use my one and (so far) only 2" ep, what do I give up by choosing the 1 1/4" dielectric diagonal over the 2"? I intend to use the diagonal on a LOMO
5 1/4" MCT and on an Intes-Micro M703 7" MCT.
Kind regards,
Mike.

July 7, 2007 05:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Pelican case for GPDX

Posted By Michael Kulick

Hello, everyone. I have a recently-acquired Vixen GPDX in beautiful condition. I would like to keep it that way, and am wondering which size Pelican case would be appropriate to store/transport my new mount. I currently have one 8 lb. counterweight, but I suppose leaving room for an additional weight might be a good idea. I also have a half-pier to carry.
Any suggestions for appropriate foam, someone who could fit the foam for me, other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm not EXACTLY hoping to do this on the cheap, but...OK, yes I am. I want something substantial but I can't afford Scopeguard quality or the Vixen-supplied aluminum case. I think a Pelican would do it, but I have no experience at this sort of thing. sad
I wonder if there is a source to obtain the right case with firm foam already cut to fit?
Anybody care to take this on? 8O
Kind regards,
Mike.

August 20, 2007 04:38 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

What's best for MN-76 collimation?

Posted By Michael Kulick

Hello, everyone. I recently acquired an MN-76 and am wondering what to buy for use as a collimation aid. Orion has a "LaserMate" and an "Orion collimating ep" which is described as a combination sight-tube and Cheshire eyepiece. Or something else?
Any specific advice or direction would be appreciated. grin
Thanks for reading and...
Kind regards,
Mike.

August 20, 2007 04:46 AM Forum: Meade

Standard wedge on Giant field tripod?

Posted By Michael Kulick

I picked up a Meade standard wedge recently. In the info sheet, it says the wedge is "only for use on the standard field tripod."
Okay... 8O
It looks as though it would also mount on the "Giant field tripod."
Anyone know whether it will fit on a gft?
Thank you.
Clear skies and
Kind regards,
Mike.

September 3, 2007 03:35 PM Forum: Mounts

Tak FS-102 clamring on GPDX?

Posted By Michael Kulick

Don't really want to use another set of rings to mount the scope on the Vixen. I am hoping to use the Tak clamring I just bought here. I have a G-11 and have only used the Tak in the Parallax rings/two long Los DUP's setup. I want to be able to use the scope on either mount without taking things apart each time. Is there a Vixen dovetail I could install on the Tak clamring?

-Mike.

October 21, 2007 04:43 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Scopebuggy for a G-11 ???

Posted By Michael Kulick

Hello, Everyone.
Does anyone know for sure whether a G-11 will fit on a Scopebuggy? If, so, will it fit with the tripod legs fully extended? 8O
Thanks and

Kind regards,
-Mike.

September 8, 2008 03:29 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jovian Shadow Transits...

Posted By Michael Kulick

Had a stormy night last night with a lot of rain and wind (Hannah) and really didn't expect much in the way of seeing tonite, but.....
Set up my little TV-76 on a Telepod and went out to have a look at Jupiter. I was able to use both 7 and 9mm UO Orthos and a 5mm Radian and the views were surprisingly steady. I wasn't sure at first, but noticed a little black speck on the upper left edge of the disk and thought "Hey, a shadow transit!" 8O
Figured it wouldn't hurt to maybe get a better look, and put the 2X TV Barlow in with the 9mm for 107X. I saw the shadow a little better and went in to try and get my sweetie out for a look...but she was in the shower. When I came back out and re-centered Jupiter, I noticed the second shadow in the equatorial region on the far right.
This is the first time I have seen two shadow transits at once! I Barlowed the 5mm Radian for 192X and while larger, the image was somewhat less pleasing and definately more difficult to focus. Seemed like the combination of the 9mm UO Ortho and the Barlow gave the best combination of magnification and resolution. Had just a few more minutes and the seeing sort of went away. Hope lots of others got to see the shadow transits tonite. grin grin grin

-Mike

January 31, 2009 12:36 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Thanks.....

Posted By Michael Kulick

......Herb! For the NICE coffee cup. grin
-Mike

July 19, 2009 12:01 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Total Knee replacement, anyone have?

Posted By Michael Kulick

Hello to all,
Friday evening my wife brought me home from the hospital. My right knee was replaced on Monday, July 13. I have begun my stretching and exercise and the painful and long process of getting back on my feet. At age 55 and being a fairly big guy (210 lbs) I appreciate that it won't happen overnite. Last night was clear here, and I so wanted to get out of bed and use my crutches and at least go see Jupiter...
I can only imagine my wife's response to such an idea! 8O
Just home these two days and having to deal with the after-effects of the narcotics and pain meds, fever, chills, "wooden-head" has made me begin to wonder what the hell I got myself into...
Not looking for sympathy here, but hoping to hear some encouragements and maybe suggestions.

Clear skies and...
Best wishes,
-Mike

------------------------------