My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Robert Derouin

January 26, 2007 07:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

ORION's NEWStarShoot Solar System Color Imager II

Posted By Robert Derouin

smile Has anybody out there used the new ORION StarShoot Solar System Color Imager II???
I find it very interesting because of its high resolution!! I've been using the Meade LPI and the Autostar suite system. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with it???

March 17, 2007 12:00 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Vibration Suppression Pads

Posted By Robert Derouin

I've heard a lot of talk about how good those vibration suppression pads work!! But, will they solve vibrations caused by suspect 'flexure' in the dovetail bracket holding my C-11 OTA to the head of an Orion Atlas EQ mount???Any ideas??

October 14, 2007 03:01 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

ORION's new StarShoot Solar System Color Imager II

Posted By Robert Derouin

Hi Guys!!,

I know this is old news...'cuz I'm also the one who asked a while ago..., but can anyone tell me how/where to find any Yahoo Groups entries on this ORION StarShoot Color Imager?? This is the newer on that runs for about $179.95. Thanks All!!! smile

February 22, 2008 08:22 AM Forum: DVDs and Music and Books That You Recommend

B.B. King:LIVE

Posted By Robert Derouin

8) I highly recommend the new, just released "B.B.King:Live" dvd....just awesome!!!! 8)

November 15, 2008 06:47 PM Forum: Mounts

Byers Drive on a homemade mount

Posted By Robert Derouin

I have this Byers Drive assembly and it's attached to a very heavy duty homemade aluminum mount. I just can't seem to find much info on Byers drives anymore...anyone know where to look?? I'm basically just trying to gather some info because I bought it used and may eventually want to sell the drive, the mount, or both.

The mount handled an AstroPhysics 6" f/12 Super Planetary refractor at one time...that scope has since been sold with the tube rings. The gear is 8in. in diameter. That tube assembly was about 28-29 lbs so I know the mount can handle at least that much! The central shaft opening is 1.5 inches and the gear thickness is 1 cm.

Can anyone offer any info on the drive and on Byers in general??

Thanks guys!!!

April 10, 2010 09:05 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Bob D. and His C-11 and Atlas Mount both from OR

Posted By Robert Derouin

8) Here is a photo of my Celestron 11 SCT and the Atlas Mount I purchased it with. This was the package that was offered a few years back by ORION Telescopes!!! Shown here mounted in my backyard observatory in Johnston, RI.

February 21, 2011 11:00 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Here's a strange one!......

Posted By Robert Derouin

8O
Soil Centipede (Strigamia sp.).

August 23, 2003 11:01 PM Forum: Home Observatories

What would you do?????

Posted By Robert Derouin

Hey Guys!!Here's the Mars photo I promised you!Taken with the AstroPhysics 6" f/12 APO planetary refractor on the night of Aug 24,2003 at 12:35 am.Taken with a Nikon Coolpix 885 digital camera,a 9mm TeleVue Nagler eyepiece(about 208x),and a Scopetronix digi-t adapter for 2" oculars.3x optical zoom also used.It's still a beast to set up and break down,but I'm very proud of this shot and it encourages me to keep trying for more with this scope!!Thanks again!, Bob Derouin,Johnston,RI

January 17, 2004 08:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion Starmax 127

Posted By Robert Derouin

Keep the faith,Milton!!!I really enjoy my StarMax 127mm!I think the lunar and planetary images thru it are great!!I do like to use eyepieces in the 7.5mm to 12.5mm range on the planets.(around 200x). The Moon does well at most powers around 102x(15mm) to 166x(9.7mm). My first target this summer was Mars;and even with a decent sized image using a 7.5mm plossl(Orion),I was disappointed that I could barely see any surface details...they're low contrast anyway!!Saturn's Cassini division should be easily seen with 15mm to 9.7mm oculars.Patience is a must...and a good cool-down period as well!!Good luck and clear skies!!!(...oh yeah,and good seeing,too!).

June 12, 2004 07:39 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Hornet

Posted By Robert Derouin

Here's where the nasty hornet(s) come from.Never saw a 'pancake'shaped nest!!