New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Kevin Krepps

May 16, 2011 11:42 AM Forum: Religion

Proverbs 15

Posted By Kevin Krepps

Thanks Russ, this brings to mind another proverb related to the subject:

Proverbs 25:21-22 If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink: For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee.

We can't always avoid confrontation, especially where truth or righteousness is at stake. But we should not be adding our own sinful words, thoughts, or actions to the issue.

May 31, 2011 11:51 AM Forum: Guns and Hunting Optics

Should the Colt 1911 be retired?

Posted By Kevin Krepps

Them's fightin' words! wink

They're a classic.
They're very reliable.
They're still one of the more popular pistols.
They'll retire it when people stop buying them, which won't be for a long time.

June 2, 2011 08:32 PM Forum: Religion

Moralistic Therapeutic Deism....?

Posted By Kevin Krepps

"The goal of life is to be happy and to feel good about oneself"

Bill,
I'm a Fundamentalist Christian so I'll answer according to my faith.
Contrast the above quote with Lev 11:22: "For if ye shall diligently keep all these commandments which I command you, to do them, to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, and to cleave unto him" This is the goal of life.

"Good people go to heaven"

There are no good people according to orthodox christianity. To quote the Westminster Confession of Faith on our natural state after Adam's sin:

"By this sin they fell from their original righteousness and communion with God, and so became dead in sin, and wholly defiled in all the faculties and parts of soul and body. They being the root of mankind, the guilt of this sin was imputed, and the same death in sin and corrupted nature conveyed to all their posterity, descending from them by original generation. From this original corruption, whereby we are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good, and wholly inclined to all evil, do proceed all actual transgressions."

Romans 8:7-8. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

So there are no good people according to the orthodox historic Christian faith, only sinners and the redeemed among them. Redeemed by Christ alone through faith alone unto good works:
Ephesians 2:8-10 Put simply, good works result from salvation and glorify Christ, they do not save us. Kevin

June 8, 2011 06:02 PM Forum: Guns and Hunting Optics

The Antidote to Overly Tactical

Posted By Kevin Krepps

Yep, we have two Cricketts, a black one and a pink one. I think you can get just about any color of stock you want actually. They belong to my kids, but sometimes when no one's around I shoot them because they're so lightweight and fun.

June 9, 2011 06:18 PM Forum: Guns and Hunting Optics

Buying A Walmart Gun

Posted By Kevin Krepps

Cabelas does the same thing whenever I buy a gun there. It's standard practice for most all of the big name retail stores.

The three gun shops I've purchased from in this state do not.

The reason for this, IMO, is that the bigger the retail store, the greater the likelihood of there being a hoplophobe in corporate headquarters. Hoplophobic executives dream up irrational ideas and get them implemented. Then they pat themselves on the back for being so brilliant.

Local gun stores don't have that issue. smile

June 13, 2011 06:21 PM Forum: Guns and Hunting Optics

Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500

Posted By Kevin Krepps

Either are a good choice, however Mossberg is still a good ole American company that manufactures right here in CT. Remington has been owned by a big conglomerate now for a number of years.

I've used both models over the years. I like the safety on a Mossberg in that you can see it on the tang when you are sighting, however I like the safety on the Remington in that I'm used to it being behind the trigger guard. So that's a wash for me.

If I were buying now I might be tempted to get a Mossberg because I live in CT. But the 870 is just as good IMO, and for that matter I currently own a Remington 1100 semiauto shotgun and like it a lot.

What uses will you put it to?

June 17, 2011 11:23 AM Forum: Religion

Religion in public schools....

Posted By Kevin Krepps

I would not be in favor of adding another subject to the public school system as a solution to the problem. Basic morality and ethics are something that is already known to all people, and they are reinforced in the child by the parents who believe in them. They have to be not only taught, but shown in action by the example of the parent. What makes a moral different is that you have to believe a moral in order to follow it. Knowing a fact that stealing is wrong doesn't change someone's behavior. As long as they believe they might get caught, they probably won't steal. But if they don't really believe in their heart that stealing is wrong, and they can get away with it, they will steal when the opportunity presents itself.

Of course the child may not have parents that are doing this, and that is the point you are making. That's when the community needs to help. If a child doesn't have a parent, then we should step up to the plate when possible. For instance, we have single moms at out church that need help. They have to work to support the family, and can't always be there with the kids. As a church body, we help out. A lot of secular organizations could do similar things.

June 21, 2011 03:38 PM Forum: Guns and Hunting Optics

My butt at the range

Posted By Kevin Krepps

Before I open that thread...it's not a picture of your butt is it? grin

June 28, 2011 06:25 PM Forum: Religion

End-of-Life a Human Right?

Posted By Kevin Krepps

This is a difficult topic to address. Interestingly enough I've had the pleasure of knowing two really Godly men during my life who've passed on in recent years. One was our former Pastor, the other was a missionary my wife's family has known since she was a baby. Both had a form of cancer that caused a prolonged decay of their bodies, often left them weak and sick, and eventually helpless and bedridden. It was a struggle for them to deal with as well as for others around them. Both of them were anxious to see the Lord and would have been glad if he called them sooner rather than later as their health steadily declined. There was not much question that they were going to get better, it was obvious that death was soon and inevitable. Both were willing to wait on the Lord to decide when it was time to go. Both of them struggled through some difficult years as they relied on their family to care for and nurture them. It tested their faith and strengthened it. I'm sure they often took comfort knowing that the Lord Jesus Christ suffered most cruelly, and did so of his own volition. They continued to bless people around them, including myself, with their faith and attitude all the way up to their death.

Death is not pretty and it's not natural, God created us to live forever with him. Common sense utilitarianism would be to allow euthanasia when someone has no quality of life, but I'm not in favor of making such a judgment for myself or anyone. I believe that God has a plan for our lives and that we need to leave it in his hands. Being faithful means to follow God's way even when it looks wrong to us. This is an idealistic way of looking at it, I don't have a pat answer to fit every situation (e.g. brain dead on life support). I believe the principle of "Thou shall not murder" needs to be adhered to in the way we address the topic, our lives are not our own.

July 19, 2011 12:29 PM Forum: Religion

Compromise

Posted By Kevin Krepps

Hi Steve,
I'm not sure I understand all of what you are getting at, but I'll open up the topic. As a bible believing Christian, there are specific areas that may not be explicitly addressed in the scripture. In these areas, I have a liberty of conscience to make a decision. Oftentimes, the principles are there in the scripture, it's just a matter of good interpretation and prayer.

For instance, I have no problem paying my taxes, even if some of the taxes go to things that are against my faith. This is because Jesus gave the principle to "Render unto Caeser, what is Caeser's" Obviously much of the taxes that went to Caeser were for ungodly purposes, yet the Lord is in control of things. I am not personally accountable for everything the government does. My command is just to "Render unto Caeser". However, there are always going to be battles over what taxes are allowed to be used for, and what they are not.

Regarding something like the great commission to make disciples, there are enough legal means of doing so in this country that I don't have to use illegal means. However, there are always going to be battles over what is allowed and what is not. In a country like Afghanistan, I would have to break the law to live there as a Christian. That would not be sinful, because in that case, the country's laws are not lawful by God's standards.

Going to war would be up to individual conscience as well. This country allows for CO (Conscientious Objector) status if your religion prevents it. I don't have a conflict with it. If combat became mandatory then there would be many CO Christians in conflict with the law. Also, if combat become mandatory for women, then you would see even more Christians in conflict with the law, since many of us don't believe it is lawful to send women out to combat.

Maybe you can give a specific case to talk about.