My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Peter Glus

January 28, 2010 09:30 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

How to avoid spending money on astromony equipment

Posted By Peter Glus

I have been struggling with the 100-degree bug....and getting my Sky and Telescope monthly with these hot new ads gives me too many temptations.

So...I ordered the full year of 1998 S&T mags from another Astromarter! The sky is the same, just the ads are different (except the JMI ones). And 82 degrees is still the cats meow so I feel happy with my pans and nags!

I highly recommend this approach to others who cannot resist the tempations.....

February 19, 2010 12:37 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion's New 50-inch Dobsonian

Posted By Peter Glus

Anyone thinking about this? I have always been impressed about the "savyness" of orion for linking with other brands (vixen, celestron, etc) but this is MAYBE too big for the amateur market? On the other hand, I would seriously consider a Celestron C20 or a Parks H.I.T scope on the secondary market, so maybe this ends up selling??

March 16, 2010 02:22 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Help for Earth Day Astronomy Event in NYC

Posted By Peter Glus

Hosting a Earth Day Astronomy Event at a local school in Jackson Heights, and was wondering if there was anyone out there who would be willing to help set up scopes for the kids. If you are interested, send me a private email.

March 24, 2010 10:47 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Re: Browse by Location function

Posted By Peter Glus

I had no idea....I dont even know how to get to it now!

April 29, 2010 01:02 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Ads Placed?

Posted By Peter Glus

I was browsing, and went to "Top Users" and saw my name with ads placed at like 600! But I probably only placed half that. Does anyone know what the "ads placed" means?

August 21, 2010 01:16 AM Forum: After Dark

Cherry Springs Crowd -- Worth a Trip when Full Moo

Posted By Peter Glus

I unfortunately timed my vacation to stop by cherry springs in PA this Sunday...when the moon is almost full. Is it worth the trip? Like, will I see the milkyway?

September 21, 2010 01:10 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Home Observatories and Bad Weather

Posted By Peter Glus

On Thursday a "F2" tornado hit Flushing NY and blew the roof off my garage observatory. Like a dummy, I went out in the winds to secure the roof, worried about my equipment (C14, FS128, and GM-200 mount). Tried to secure the roof in the wind, and ended up closing the roof on my head and cutting a deep gash in my scalp from a long nail that had gone thru plywood but was sticking out (not bend down). Came into the house and blacked out for a minute due to injury, and then wife took me to hospital...doc put in lots of head "staples". A few days later went to look at my equipment and realized rain damage was non-existent. It helped that I keep caps on the front end optics.

Lesson 1: dont be sloppy like me and leave nails unbended (or better, use shorter nails or the right type of nails for attaching shingles or siding)...at some point, sooner or later, you will get scratched or worse by them.

Lesson 2: dont go out in a storm to try and save your equipment...its not worth it, and will probably survive the storm better than you. A little sprinkle probably wont harm anything so long as you keep caps on the optics.

December 7, 2010 08:10 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Bombarded with Astro Jewelery Catalogs

Posted By Peter Glus

I am getting a bunch of these this week....like all the male astronomers are suckers to purchase some -- IMHO -- cheesy jewelry. Some of the stuff is nice, but the catalog last night had constellations made of diamonds, and not just the major constellations...all of them. Who would wear a Cephus made of diamonds for $4,000? I would rather buy my wife a beautiful APO and a nice alt az mount.

February 12, 2011 04:22 AM Forum: LUNATICS

Aristillis Mountains

Posted By Peter Glus

I can *barely* see separation of the different peaks in Aristillis tonight. My C14 was affected by poos seeing, and so I could actually make out more with the FS 128. In the FS 128 was using a barlow and a leica zoom. For the "lunatic" crowd, is seeing separation of the peaks a challenge object, or a routine event?

February 12, 2011 04:23 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Eyepiece Dew

Posted By Peter Glus

I am getting frustrated with this issue. I'd rather not get the whole heater set-up, so I was thinking...is there anything wrong with just bringing the EPs in the house (warmer) and then taking them outside when viewing (in the outdoor observatory)?