My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Peter Glus

March 20, 2011 11:54 AM Forum: Mounts

GM-200 gearbox and setpper motors

Posted By Peter Glus

Does anyone know if the G11 motors and gears are compatable with the GM-200 motors and gears? I am hoping losmandy used the same ones.

October 19, 2011 08:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Why do solar telescopes need "pressure tuning"?

Posted By Peter Glus

I was reading S&T and I saw a nice solar scope (lunt) and was very curious as to what the function of the "pressure tuner" is? Does this change the air pressure and ever so slightly push apart the lens elements to modify focus? Or does this like change the density of the air to somehow do something? I have never looked thru a solar scope so I am completely ignorant of this stuff.

November 21, 2011 05:45 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Second Scope "Guiders" Are Way Too Expensive

Posted By Peter Glus

I have been trying to get a adjustment device for my second scope, but they are too darn expensive. I made a crude homemade device that I will post pics of later...but has anyone else built one? I cant see how anybody justifies 300+ dollars for one of these.

January 11, 2012 08:14 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

C14 binoscope project

Posted By Peter Glus

I am slowly attempting a c14 binoscope project. Anyone out there with experience on this?

September 17, 2012 02:48 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Eyes Going Bad -- Need Advice

Posted By Peter Glus

I am 42, and my eyesight is starting to become less than perfect. I recently got a pair of glasses. I would love to be one of those guys who are 80 and have perfect vision, but I fear that thats not me. Any "tips and tricks" from AMers who have deteriorating eyesight?

September 21, 2012 10:42 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Good Reasons to Get Losmandy Mounts

Posted By Peter Glus

There are many, but I want to once again praise them (particularly Scott) on his most excellent customer service. Frankly, this will sound strange but when I am talking to him about my mount (an older GM-200) its more like talking to my primary care physician than some guy from a company. They give you the time, they listen, they know what they are talking about, and they solve your problems. They also stand by products discontinued decades ago. You cant find that anywhere else.

Sounds like Losmandy does other stuff (some other type of machining I guess) which is probably a good thing since it may allow them to diversify a bit and ride out the lows in the market.

I wish them many more years of business....

March 14, 2006 06:45 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Secondary mirrors are back for L&L for coating

Posted By Peter Glus

Floyd,

I asked a question about "do it yourself coatings" a few weeks ago, and got nowhere. Who is L&L, and would they coat my C8 corrector plate with anti-reflectivity coatings?

- Peter

September 29, 2006 09:35 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

denkmeier power 2x diagonal

Posted By Peter Glus

Amy,

See my thread in the eyepiece forum on 8/28...I asked the same question and got some great answers.

- Peter

October 3, 2006 01:42 PM Forum: After Dark

The most enjoyable item to view after dark

Posted By Peter Glus

As I am a NYC resident, I got you beat on light pollution smile

I really enjoy double stars and globular clusters, and the brighter M objects. I use a constallation guide by a guy named Tom Trusock (google his name to get the guides), and I dedicate a few weeks of time to each of the constallations that pass by near the zenith.

- Peter

October 12, 2006 12:33 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

GEM Mount Capacity

Posted By Peter Glus

Thanks Greg...this is all good food for thought.