New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Peter Glus

October 3, 2007 06:21 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Telescope or Mount?

Posted By Peter Glus

Adam,

First, I have a denk power switch and I love it. Probably the single element lenses degrade the image quality ever so slightly, but the convenience is WONDERFUL. I plop a 20ish 82 FOV EP in (16, 20, or 22 nagler) and with my SCT you get three premium EPs for the price of 1. I think the denk units are very underrated. Siebert has this power mag wheel thing...that might be good too.

Second, if doing visual go with the larger aperture 130...a very nice scope...or a WO 130? If doing astrophoto maybe go with the smaller scope and a better mount. I think the G11 is a caddilac..I have a shabby version of it (CI700)...if you can afford it then grab one.

Tak or not to Tak...look, there are guys who swear by AP telescopes or TMB scopes, so keep your options open. WO has nice quality, as does Vixen. IF you like to "dive in" then do so with the reviews here and on Cloudynights.

My biggest advice...get the stuff used on AMart. You will knock lots of the purchase price and the folks here stand buy what they sell.

Welcome to the hobby!

- Peter

October 10, 2007 09:20 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

GoTo alignment from obstructed site

Posted By Peter Glus

Bob,

This is a tough one. First, can you see Polaris? If this is a problem, then you may have a real challenge. Hopefully, if you can get a good shot at polaris and get a GEM, then some of the goto/pushto computers only need one alignment star. As an example, I have an Argo Navis and with "exact polar alignment" I only need one star. "rough polar alignment" usually takes two stars and this is normally a problem for me due to the multiple trees in my view.

- Peter

October 14, 2007 06:01 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Counter Weights for G-11

Posted By Peter Glus

We should have a borrowing program for oversized drill bits used for making weights...I bought one for my lxd650 and used it once...then passed it along to another person who needed to use it.

October 16, 2007 09:36 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Posting Ads on multiple sites . . . grrr

Posted By Peter Glus

I find that this happens so often I thoguth that there actually was no rule at all! I do find it very disingenuous to list at both place.

October 18, 2007 06:02 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

BIG DOB VS AN APO

Posted By Peter Glus

My neighbor! Yes, I am in Queens and I feel the pain. My thoughts...

1. Read and learn. Observing judgement and skill are your best friends. Get Rod's book like was mentioned here, and Nighwatch by Dickerson.
2. Go with aperture. I went from a 4 to 8 to 10 to 12. Never regretted any of the choices. With aperture in the city you can get NICE views of globular and open clusters. You can even see a few planetary nebula.
3. Get GOTO or DSCs. Cant starhop when you cant see anything to hop off.
4. If your going for the planets, you could get a nice modest 80 - 100mm ED scope, but a SCT or a Mak Cass will do just fine also. Forget APOs and the like for anything DSO-like. I have a fairly nice Vixen 140NA. Use to have a WO 105mm Zenithstar. My Vixen and WO was like some guy's 30mm finder in Nebraska.
5. Don't drop big money into a nice mount unless you need it.

My perfect scope for beginners in NYC -- a used C8 on a non-goto GEM mount, or a Meade 8" SN on the lxd75 mount.

- Peter

January 12, 2008 12:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Carry strap with handle

Posted By Peter Glus

Check w/ floyd...I think he made a nice one from scratch. Floyd?

February 25, 2008 01:01 PM Forum: Eyepieces

TeleVue Eyepiece Collection

Posted By Peter Glus

2" 2x Powermate
20 T4
3-6 Zoom
24 Pan
35 Pan
9 T1 (for sentimental reasons)

April 1, 2008 06:05 AM Forum: Ask rating questions here

Protocol for When Things Go Bad

Posted By Peter Glus

I will add, for those folks that are new here, that I believe this is a complete outlier and have had hundreds of safe and great transactions. Reazon I am writing this is to get a more "standard response" to the problem, and not let my emotions dictate my next steps.

April 6, 2008 11:22 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

De-fork a Meade 8" SCT

Posted By Peter Glus

Ron,

I did this to an orange tube C8 once. I wasn't quite sure about using radius blocks so I bought a pair of cheap orion rings and fastened then to a dovetail plate. A 8" SCT on a GEM is a nice set-up...very versatile.

May 23, 2008 07:07 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Wedge for 16" LX200

Posted By Peter Glus

Charlie,

This may sound crazy, but I would made the botom plate 1" thick. I had a C14 on a wedge, and after doing some research on vibration many found that the thickness of the bottom plate is the primary cause, probably becuase it acts like a diaphragm. Your side plates are resisting forces in line with themselves, so they are "less critical". Also, since your welding from scratch, might as well beef everything up.

-Peter