New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Peter Glus

June 24, 2008 04:43 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Self Centering BinoViewer choices

Posted By Peter Glus

Tom,

I THINK the denks, seiberts, TVs, and baaders are the only self-centering ones. Since Ive owned 5 or 6 pairs before I arrived at my "preferred set-up" (denks with 24 pans), my advices is to buy a used seibert black night and try it out. I think you can get them used cheap (like under 200) and they are WORTH it. Some of the burgess and other celestron/etc units are just not up to the quality of the smaller US manufacturers.

What king of EPs are you planning to use?

-Peter

July 21, 2008 01:21 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

AP vs. Orion vs.....

Posted By Peter Glus

Fellow NYer (with approx same weather patterns), your telling me!

July 29, 2008 03:02 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

What's A Good Focuser for the CPC 11"

Posted By Peter Glus

I would get either the JMI or Moonlight ones. I have owned 3 Moonlight ones and its a nice product with lots of options. Probably ditto with JMIs stuff. These are higher end options, and you will drop 300 or so.

December 4, 2008 11:03 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Pentax XL60 and Celestron C14

Posted By Peter Glus

Whoa!!! That is a BEAST. I use a 41 Pan in my C14...but that gives me envy. Smarter amd more knowledgeable guys than me might say, however, that there will be some vignetting issues (as I think the field stop comes into play for something that big)...check it out before hunting and buying. There's some nice ray-tracing vignetting analysis for the C14 around and about.

March 5, 2009 06:03 PM Forum: LUNATICS

moon composite of 30 shots

Posted By Peter Glus

Nice...looks just like what I was staring at last night!

March 12, 2009 07:14 AM Forum: Eyepieces

The best 6mm eyepiece comparison to date

Posted By Peter Glus

I think Bill should quit his day job (assuming it has nothing to do with reviewing eyepieces)! It was a most awsome EP review!

April 2, 2009 09:20 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

GM200

Posted By Peter Glus

Glen,

Can you take a few pics and post them?

As I understand this, you are trying to covert the tangent arm to a fully rotatable system?

I have a GM-200 as well (with tangent arm), and love it.

Peter

April 3, 2009 05:52 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Most used eyepiece for 10" SCT???

Posted By Peter Glus

Ken,

I would try to get the Nagler 20mm Type 2. I found that this was the most used EP for me when I had a 10, 11 and 12" SCT. These can be had for 275ish around here.

Peter

April 22, 2009 01:23 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Bloated American optical equipement

Posted By Peter Glus

I will also ad that "price" sometimes depends on your perspective. If I buy a nagler for $400, use it for 3 years, and then sell it for maybe 300ish, haven't I got a great deal? I've spend 3 yeas enjoying the heavens with splendid views!

I consider the purchase of my scopes and eyepieces more as a lease, since the resale value on QUALITY equipment is so high.

May 22, 2009 08:19 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Inexpensive Dual Speed Focuser Mod

Posted By Peter Glus

Very nice ron! Can you give us the part number and some more details?