Captured by
Forrest Egan

Green Heron

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Peter Glus

June 2, 2009 04:00 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Red Tube Coulter 13.1in - Final demise

Posted By Peter Glus

You were a CAT lover after all....

June 2, 2009 04:06 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

My Visual Set-up in the Garagatory

Posted By Peter Glus

Here's the observatory

June 2, 2009 04:08 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

My Visual Set-up in the Garagatory

Posted By Peter Glus

Here's how I isolated the set-up from vibrations...did not have the time to do a concrete pier so I just set up a lower platform for my feet, and tied the tripod to a 4x4 triangular frame.

July 11, 2009 11:55 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter f30 7/10/09

Posted By Peter Glus

Steve,

Nice shot...yes, seeing pas been good in these parts past few days.

Peter

July 22, 2009 12:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Lxd 650 questions

Posted By Peter Glus

Gary,

Regarding RA / DEC plus, Yes, it does...I never understood that but thats how it works.

The slewing noise should be noisy. "gear meshing" is relative. This motor and gearset is sort of primative, but it gets the job done. To make sure it works, pop the cover off, take off the green tape which covers the gearbox, and look at the gears while pressing the hand controller. If the all move with no skipping, you should be good.

The RA drive should be less noisy.

Power - do you have the 18v version? I think it runs on 18v, so I would plug the AC powercord into a powerpack battery with 110v outlet, and let the meade transformer bring it to 18v.

August 4, 2009 07:06 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Best EP's for DenkMeyer BiniviewerII

Posted By Peter Glus

24 pans are the cadillac EPs for the denks. That is an expensive option, however. 19 pans work as well.

I started with 23mm old style celestron axioms (maybe 100 each). Also, consider the hyperions.

2" filters work with the denk filterswitch.

August 4, 2009 07:13 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Eyepiece starters for a 8" SCT

Posted By Peter Glus

I would consider buying a single "premium" eyepiece like a nagler and then barlowing that with a good 2" barlow. A focal reducer would add a "3rd EP".

A lot depends on what you want to look at. If its "higher power" viewing and you live in an area with good seeing conditions, that the smaller fl eyepieces (like orthos) would be good for the moon and planets. If you want "medium power" viewing that you may want to try wide field eps.

August 11, 2009 04:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Astigmatism, a "Doh!" Moment

Posted By Peter Glus

A good lesson.

But furthering the topic, I find that when I put longer FL eyepieces in the astigmatism increases on a variety of scopes. Is there a correlation here, or could it be as simple that "bigger EPs" bend the focuser?

November 4, 2009 07:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Bad idea: 360 degree tripod rotation?

Posted By Peter Glus

Discovering the truth with a C14 must have been ugly...

December 29, 2009 06:10 PM Forum: Refractors