My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Peter Glus

January 25, 2010 04:23 PM Forum: After Dark

Clear Sky Clock blues

Posted By Peter Glus

That is pretty bad. Time to clean those optics and read burnams handbook!

January 28, 2010 03:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Saving money in astronomy 2

Posted By Peter Glus

Scott brings up a good point. Maybe I am cheap, but I have almost never purchased a "new" astronomy product becuase I cant stand the pain of paying premium price. Purchase of used equipment here, sold by experienced and trusted sellers, almost ALWAYS represents a 30 - 50 percent savings on the sticker price. However.....

I do feel some slight pangs of guilt since I am sort of denying the makers of these products some profit to continue R&D. I recall once a tense conversation with a binoviewer maker who was frustrated at me "and the rest of the amateur astronomers" for buying used binoviewers instead of new ones from him. I think he thought that maybe half of the actual binoviewers purchased were used-to-customer sales rather than new-to-customer sales. And he felt that this would "put him out of business". He had a point, I think....

March 24, 2010 03:49 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Re: Browse by Location function

Posted By Peter Glus

Duh...It was right there....wow, thats a nice feature...

April 15, 2010 07:34 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

M13

Posted By Peter Glus

ivan thats a beautiful shot!

April 25, 2010 09:33 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Pemtax 6.5 to 19.5 Zoom

Posted By Peter Glus

Steve,

I had one. It was nice, but didn't compare to the Leica (of course twice as much).

Nevertheless, its better than the mid-range Televue zoom.

I have not tried the WO / Baader zooms either, but I would be interested in this comparison because I think the WO and Baader ones have greater FOV.

I know there was some older zoom comparisons but I have not found a new review of zoom comparisons in a while.

Peter

April 27, 2010 03:51 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron Pulstar

Posted By Peter Glus

I thought it controls the pulsing rate?

May 13, 2010 03:42 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

CG4 Mount RA Ring Slips

Posted By Peter Glus

Its probably a defect, as the ring should stick when the thumbscrew is tight.

But hey, more importantly, are you really using those setting circles? Why dont you get a digital setting circle kit and make life easier?

May 13, 2010 03:45 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

??? about older Meade MTS-SC8 rear cell opening

Posted By Peter Glus

That is really strange since this is a "standard" sct.

May 22, 2010 02:57 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

December 31, 2010 01:43 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Focal Reducers

Posted By Peter Glus

Charles,

I have a C14 and the only thing that works is the Lumicon Giant Focal Reducer. This comes as a stand-alone and as the Giant Easy Guider (the only difference is that the guider has the side tube and prism). This provides two choices of reduction (via a moveable lens element).

Problem is -- these are only available on the used market, so you have to pick one up here. If you post a wanted ad, you could probably pick one up for 150 or so.

Peter