My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Peter Glus

September 13, 2006 09:01 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Orion Stratus Clones

Posted By Peter Glus

I saw a review of a 35mm Stratus Clone recently that was very positive. I just had an opportunity to purchase a similar 13 mm Stratus Clone from someone on AM, who got it at auction. Does anyone know who is putting these on the market? It would be nice to know if they were (1) unlabeled prototypes, (2) blatant copies of the orion product, (3) or legitimate copies (??). I do recognize that the stratuses are pretty much copies of the vixen lanthium wide EPs...is this a case of "what comes around goes around" for Orion (i.e., their clone product gets cloned)?

September 29, 2006 04:44 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Eyepiece Size and Weight Mysteries

Posted By Peter Glus

I have a orange tube C8, and love to just scan the sky. Did some research on large AFOV eps and progressed steadily from a GSO 82 UWA 30mm to a UO MK 70 40mm. Liked the ep a lot, but was attracted to one that had less edge distortion...so I sold it on AM and plunked down 300 for a Series 5000 SWA 40 mm. Here's my question and problem:

1. Why is the meade SOOOO much bigger than the UO? I mean this is not a subtle difference here...the thing is HUGE.
2. What tips and tricks are there for counterbalancing such a heavy EP? I mean, adding 2.6 pounds at say 12 inches from the balance point will translate to like 4 or 5 lbs on the counterwieght rod! Am I missing something, in that these EPs shouldn't be used on GEMs?

Many thanks for any info...

- Peter

October 6, 2006 05:41 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

GEM Mount Capacity

Posted By Peter Glus

I am having some difficulty pinning down the exact capacity of the lxd75 mounts, or for that matter all the mounts in this class. Meade literature says its 30 pounds, but there's no specific definition (just the ota on a scale or the ota with counterwieghts?) My question is...what would happen if I swapped the C8 with a C11? I mean, Celestron packages the C11 with the CG5, right? Would the lxd75 mechanicals actually break (gear teeth, motor burnout)? What if I used only a 10 pounder and extended the counterwweight rod to compensate? Total weight would be the same, but the force required to rotate the whole thing would be high. Does anyone have any experience or clarity to share here?

My C8 weights 16 pounds, and I have a 10 pounder on the couterweight rod.

October 10, 2006 05:09 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Old Style C8 with a Twist...

Posted By Peter Glus

Here's my completed set-up...I spend 6 months or so converting this from the old forks to a GEM. Notice the rings on the OTA...I didn't trust the small screws on the old C8 body so I went for two rings by Orion (both with shipping was $25.50!)and they fit perfectly. The trolley was modelled after JMI's, but the similarities stop there...mine is a bit rougher, and I had to use a second-hand tricycle for the parts ; )

November 6, 2006 04:39 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Barlows or Powermates?

Posted By Peter Glus

Saw a few reviews comparing the two. Is there anyone who can weigh in on which to buy?

December 1, 2006 06:14 PM Forum: Refractors

Need help from the straight thru experts

Posted By Peter Glus

Im a SCT guy, and wanted a Orion Short Tube for a finder...there was an add on AM for two short tubes (w/o focusers) for 160, so I jumped at it. Seller was getting rid of belongings from a deceased brother. Opened the box, and SURPRISE. Good news is that are (I think) Vixen (Orion) 102ED f/6.5 scopes! Bad news is that one had a smashed lense (like totally smashed up in fragments and falling out) and the other had what appears to be a large imperfection with scratches radiating from it. So, I took the scratched one carefully apart and the smudge / scratches were on the inside of the front lense of the doublet. It also happens to be that the "smashed" one had the back end of the doublet smashed and the front end in apparantly good condition. Can I put them together? If not, any advice on who can repair or examine these for a "tune-up"?

December 5, 2006 04:59 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Baader Hyperion Click-Stop Zoom

Posted By Peter Glus

Wow...just saw this. Anyone used it yet...seems like a very nice idea to have a wider FOV with a zoom.

December 21, 2006 03:09 PM Forum: Refractors

Broken Orion 102 ED WORKS!

Posted By Peter Glus

Remember me...the guy a few weeks back that got two broken 102 ED f/6.5 scopes and combined them (fortunately, the rear lense of one was smashed and the front lens of the other was scratched...hows that for coincidence!). Anyway, I put the good parts together, bought a GSO 2-speed crayford, and took it out last night...WOW...for a guy used to SCTs, this was a very different experience. I put a Pan 35 in and saw almost 4 degrees (this is probably not the most commonly used EP for this scope, but for my 12" SCT this is my typical). I put a nag 7 in and it was a real pleasure. High points were no (in my opinion) false color, and just generally pleasing views. Did an amatuer star test at 100x, and nothing strange was seen...looked identical in and out of focus. Just have a quick question - what would be a good EP for this? For planets an double stars?

January 10, 2007 06:22 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Fairness in Overseas Shipping

Posted By Peter Glus

On a few occasions here on AM I was discussing sales with some overseas folks. We would agree to the deal, and I would do all the legwork to figure out the best shipping, lowest fees, etc., and then get frustrated becuase the potential buyer gets sticker shock on the shipping price. I am considering making most of my transactions "cont US only" but that seems sort of unfair. ALternatively, I could just ask them to do all the shipping research / leg work instead of me. Also, when they give me a "no" after a few days of work I have not given them a bad rating...although this is very frustrating and I am tempted to do so, at least as a comment, particularly when we agree on costs, box sizes, etc. What is your all experience, and is it fair to, say, make them do the shipping legwork?

January 12, 2007 02:48 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Orion Q70 Feedback

Posted By Peter Glus

Has anyone tried these? Wondering if they are better than the meade 70-degree EPs (which seem to have a particularly bad write-ups).