My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Peter Glus

May 1, 2008 01:18 AM Forum: Celestron

Loose Secondary

Posted By Peter Glus

The answer should be obvious, but its not to me right now...I have a C14 and the secondary is loose. There's only 4 screws, and I think they are all for columation. How to I tighten the secondary housing on the corrector?

May 2, 2008 09:12 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

A Bad Experience Cleaning Equipment

Posted By Peter Glus

Was cleaning my SCT corrector with a mixture of 1/4 rubbing alchohol, 1/4 vinigar, and 1/2 di water. Vinigar was my wifes idea (maybe a real bad idea, but I did it anyway). Anyway, she put it in an unmarked seltzer bottle, and...yes...I came in from yard work, poured a tall glass of it, and "threw it down the hatch"....horrible horrible taste.

May 14, 2008 09:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Off-Axis Images of Colimnation

Posted By Peter Glus

On an SCT design, if (while colimnating) I move the out-of-focus image used for colimnation from the center of the FOV to the edge of the FOV, should the central black spot stay centered or will it become off-axis as well?

Dumb question, but I want to confirm this...mine shifts, and I want to make sure thats right.

May 30, 2008 02:18 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Differences in Diagonal Clear Aperature

Posted By Peter Glus

I am looking to maximize my clear aperture (using a C14, a Giant Focal Reducer, and a Nag 31mm). I have a denk powerswitch diagonal and realized that the clear aperture is only 37mm, which is essentially optimized for the 1.25 format. I am looking for a diagonal with maximum clear aperature...any suggestions on products or how to get this information?

June 1, 2008 01:58 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Re: help

Posted By Peter Glus

First thing I would do is add a statement in the ad that the buyer should contact you using the internal message system till you worked out the bugs.

June 24, 2008 11:49 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Favorite Snack While Observing?

Posted By Peter Glus

Any creative ideas out there? I am a "pretend bourgoeis" and prefer the chellied red wine / cheese / cracker combo.

July 17, 2008 11:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Experiences with G-11 vs CI-700

Posted By Peter Glus

Does anyone have any experience using both of these, and can they comment on any significant or noticeable differences.

November 4, 2008 02:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Determining Encoder Ticks

Posted By Peter Glus

This may be a dumb question. I was trying to determine the encoder ticks on my new used mount (using the Argo Navis), and it appears that the DEC and RA encoders are different in tic count. Can this be true? I thought they had to be identical?

November 7, 2008 04:33 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Polar Alignment With no DEC Markings

Posted By Peter Glus

I just got a used GM-200 and this is the first mount that doesn't have any type of ticks or markings on the DEC axis (and there is no polar alignment scope). To do polar alighment, I am in the process of drift aligning. Once I have this nailed, my plan is then to move the scope to the location of Cel North and mark the mount on the dec axis to "ZERO". Does this sound OK?

November 19, 2008 03:44 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Recession Causing Lower Prices here?

Posted By Peter Glus

Is it just me, or are there a lot more "fire sales" going on to liquidate? I wonder if there could be such a thing as an Astromart Pawn Shop...someplace where stuff is stored until the owner can put him/herself back on their feet.