My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Payne

October 14, 2002 06:11 AM Forum: Takahashi

Re: diagonal focus

Posted By David Payne

I just bought a new FS-78 and I am using a 2" televue diagonal and there is not enough "in focus" to focus with an eyepiece of shorter focal length than 8mm. An 8 mm Radian will just barely come to focus but a 7mm Pentax XL won't come to focus...and none of the eyepieces will come to focus with a 2x barlow...kind of exasperating when you figure all the time and money involved getting a new scope mounted and up and running and then discover that you can't get over 78x when using the 2" set up....and if you want to use shorter focal length eyepieces you must take off the 2" diagonal and the 2" ocular adapter,then put the 1 1/4" ocular adapter back in and then install a 1 1/4" diagonal...all this just to up your magnification..and then if you want to put in a long fl eyepiece again you gotta go through the process all over again...in the dark nonetheless...

March 20, 2003 06:21 AM Forum: Takahashi

FS 78 on Telepod

Posted By David Payne

My FS 78 mounted on a Telepod using a TV 4" ring mount built up inside with one layer of 3M mounting tape and one layer felt..works perfectly and allows use of Starbeam finder...mounted using a TV balance aid plate so as to place mount ring slightly ahead of cradle...works great for quick views...

April 25, 2003 09:44 PM Forum: APM

Reviews of TMB 80?

Posted By David Payne

Are there any reviews of the 80mm triplet available anywhere? I havent seen any on the review sites. I have a Tak FS 78, which is a marvelous scope, but I would be interested in a more portable scope and would like to know how the 80mm would compare optically with the Takahashi..thanks...David

October 25, 2003 12:52 AM Forum: TeleVue

Sky Tour installation on Gibraltar

Posted By David Payne

I have a recent vintage Gibraltar that I am considering adding a Sky Tour to...can I install the encoders myself or do they have to be installed at the factory...thanks..David

October 18, 2002 07:44 PM Forum: Celestron

Is Celestron the dumbest company around?

Posted By David Payne

I must have asked nicer than you Jared...I had a leg clamp to break and they sent me a new leg free of charge...

August 24, 2003 12:15 PM Forum: TeleVue

Televue76 VS Televue 85

Posted By David Payne

Here is my setup...you shoulda kept the FS 78 David.

August 27, 2003 01:50 PM Forum: TeleVue

Solar Filter for TV 102

Posted By David Payne

David...you can go to the Astro-Physics website and they give you exact instructions on how to make your own Baader film solar filter..they work perfect..I made one for my Pronto out of poster paper (black) using Elmers glue and the Baader film following the AP instructions..I bought a sheet of Baader film off astromart from Paul McCarl for $20 and I have made three filters using that one sheet..and they are very durable,,,and it just so happened that when I made the filter for the Pronto that fits over the dew shield, when I purchased a new Tak 78, it fit perfectly inside the dewshield for it, so one filter works perfectly for two scopes...give it a try..you can make it and it will dry overnight and its ready to use...David

August 28, 2003 04:40 AM Forum: TeleVue

TV-76 for terrestrial use?

Posted By David Payne

You just need a 45 diagonal and a 2"-1.25 adapter to make it an excellent scope for spotting or birding...put 2"/1.25 adapter in the focuser drawtube and then the 45 diagonal in it and you are in business...if used for straight through viewing you must have drawtube extension or it will not come to focus.

November 27, 2003 02:55 AM Forum: Takahashi

FS-78 threads

Posted By David Payne

I thought about taking the Televue diagonal barrel to a machine shop and having it turned down so it would fit all the way into the 2" adapter, but I didn't want to ruin the diagonal if it didn't turn out right. The Meade is short enough that all eyepiece combos will come to focus. If you decide to try something like having the diagonal tube shortened, let me know how it turns out. I really don't think it would be that hard to do. You can see in the previous post I made with the pic of the 78 on a Telepod, how far the Meade barrel sticks out of the 2" adapter with the barrel butted up against the focuser drawtube, but it works, so all is well...clear skies...David

December 7, 2003 06:28 AM Forum: Takahashi

1.25" barlow and FS78

Posted By David Payne

You may have one of the extension tubes screwed on the 1.25" adapter, If you do, take it off and try it. You should have no trouble coming to focus with the 1.25" diagonal, it is usually the 2" diagonal that gives people fits...David