Posts Made By: Dennis Freeman

December 10, 2006 07:45 AM Forum: Celestron

Corrector Lens Coatings

Posted By Dennis Freeman

The short version is that the XLT corrector lens uses a different glass and mixure of elements in their coating.

The long version is here:

http://www.celestron.com/c2/technology_view.php?TechnologyID=2#overview

December 17, 2006 05:13 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Diagonals

Posted By Dennis Freeman

Thanks everyone for the info. I have a much better idea now on the different types and how they work.

Dennis

December 24, 2006 04:00 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Material for a blind

Posted By Dennis Freeman

I've used PVC pipe sch. 40 pipe (1-4") at work for years. Don't worry about putting in the screws every foot or so. Shouldn't be a problem. The plastic sheet will rip before the pipe breaks (Unless it's cold. like most plastic PVC gets kind of brittle in the 30's.)

If you're married to the 20 mil plastic idea you could try roughing up the edges with @100 grit sandpaper to give the glue something less smooth to grip. Another idea would be to try to find something you can use as a clamp (maybe the clips they sell for picnic table tableclothes or a reformed pipe hanger-problem is they'd probably rip the 20 mil plastic), Personally, I'd go with the tarp.

Grommets & screws are the way to go with a tarp. For the minor increase in cost, it'll save you a lot of effort trying to find something that will work with the plastic sheeting.

I use this method to hold down my pool cover which catches the wind. It's an above ground pools with a deck built around it over the top rail and the wind comes under the deck. Has held in 50 MPH gusts with no problem. Your supports will fall over before the tarp gives way.

Have to replace the tarp every 3-4 years because UV damage weakens the nylon, but this shouldn't be an issue for you.

December 30, 2006 04:17 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Dessicant

Posted By Dennis Freeman

Here's a manufacturere's site that should help.

http://www.dehumidify.com/

They have a few posted links to retailers. Their stuff works great; use it for EP cases, telescope storage, gun safe, etc. I particularly like the 2 smaller units, self-contained and recharge instructions embossed on metal so you can't forget.

January 25, 2007 05:33 AM Forum: Sports

Bears vs. Colts

Posted By Dennis Freeman

I've lived in the Chicago all my life and much as it pains me to say it, the Bears will probably lose against the Colts.

Rex Grossman is not yet ready for prime time, if he ever will be. In reality, this is his "rookie" year. While technically his 4th year in the NFL, he's been injured so much that he played a total of 8 games in the prior three years. (3-'03,2-'04,3-'05). He's easily rattled. Witness his trying to call a second consecutive time-out last week. Other than one series in, I believe, the third quarter, his passing game was terrible. At least he didn't throw multiple turnovers as he did several games this year.

Too inconsistent. The first six weeks of '06 his QB rating was @110. The last five weeks @40 (one week was 0). Several games the defense scored more than the offense!

The only thing keeping the Bears in the game will be their outstanding defense which has been great this year, with a few exceptions, and their special teams play. If the Colts don't rock Grossman early, the Bears could do it. But considering the Colts greater playoff experience, I don't think this will happen.

April 5, 2007 02:25 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

10" Asian Dobs:Extinction Event?

Posted By Dennis Freeman

The portability difference between a 10" and 12" is not just getting it to/from home and an observing site, but relocating it within a site. I.E. if you're like me, you have to move around your yard in order to see different parts of the sky because of trees, lights, etc.

I can lift my 10" XTi in one piece so to speak; couldn't do that with the 12" XTi. Why not use a handcart you ask? If you saw how much stuff is stored in my garage, you wouldn't need to ask. wink

April 13, 2007 07:01 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

What to do with the Carcass

Posted By Dennis Freeman

Here's some ideas:

1. Waterproof it and turn it into a fountain.

2. Flock the inside with aluminum foil, cut a hole in your roof, and use it as a light tube for an interior room.

3. Would make one heck of a mortar for fireworks.

4. A giant mailing tube.

5. A coffin for an astronomer? Nah, need more aperture and focal length.

6. The world's largest kalidoscope?

April 14, 2007 08:53 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Meade 18mm UW 5K vs 17mm Nagler

Posted By Dennis Freeman

Can't help you on comparing the two. But even if the Meade is comparable to the 17 T4 (Which I doubt. I have one and I don't see how it could get better). Will Meade fix their lens? (No) Will Televue (Yes).

September 15, 2007 07:46 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Eyepiece Cases Foam

Posted By Dennis Freeman

Here are several sources:

http://www.casesbysource.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FS

http://rubber-gaskets.com/foam-rubber-products.html

http://www.foambymail.com/packaging.html

I know that several members recommend Foam by mail.

October 21, 2007 07:42 AM Forum: Refractors

I'm confused

Posted By Dennis Freeman

SD = SuperDuper
SF = SupercaliFragilisticexpealidocious

Thanks. That certainly clears things up. :S