My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Dennis Freeman

March 10, 2009 04:52 AM Forum: ASTRONOMY

IYOA is also Global Recession

Posted By Dennis Freeman

Hugh's idea is a good one. Our club, the NAA, has done this several times in the past on-site at the school. Other aspects of our outreach program include opening our observatory to the public and setting up scopes in a downtown area numerous times over the course of Spring-Summer-Fall.

A local community college also has public viewing sessions from time to time at their observatory.

A long shot but one of the nearby libraries has a telescope loan program. They have 2 or 3 8" Orion dobs they lend out after an orientation course.

Finally, contact Stellarvue, they have an outreach program where they provide refurbished used scopes to schools. Don't know the specifics of the program but I know they made quite a few donations last year.

April 5, 2009 02:28 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Inexpensive low power EP?

Posted By Dennis Freeman

Thanks everyone for the comments so far. Gives me a starting point.

If $100 isn't a realistic number for a widefield in the super wide field range, let's establish a $150 max. Will this change anything and, if not, what is a realistic figure?

April 24, 2009 06:15 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Choose the EP

Posted By Dennis Freeman

Just to let responders know. I'm off to a Cub Scout campout so I can't monitor this thread until Sunday night. Thanks everyone for your input.

May 16, 2009 04:06 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Classical vs XLT Coatings

Posted By Dennis Freeman

You might find this interesting. It does NOT answer your question but does show that the difference between the XLT and standard Starbright is 16%.

http://www.analyticalsci.com/Astronomy/Telescopes/imagesc/StarBright%20XLT/StarBright%20XLT.htm

And here's a counter view:

http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.astro.amateur/2007-11/msg00785.html