No Visas to Nobody from Moslem Lands

Posted By Robert Schmall

Lee Spain said:

No refugee status.
No asylum.
No civil engineering degrees.
No flight training.
No H-1B.

Let's enjoy our country, watch SouthPark, and live in peace and quiet. Just a thought..

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/04/01/afghanistan.un.attack/index.html?hpt=T2

Would Jesus burn the Quran?

How would that headline hog in Florida react to someone burning the Bible? For answer, see original post.

April 5, 2011 12:27 PM Forum: Politics

Fareed on the Quran Burning

Posted By Robert Schmall

"We will definitely not burn the Koran...Not today, not ever."

Terry Jones, of the Dove World Outreach church, 9/11/10

"It is not that we burn the Koran with some type of vindictive motive...We do not even burn it with great pleasure or any pleasure at all. We burn it because we feel a deep obligation to stay with the court system of America. The court system of America does not allow convicted criminals to go free."

Terry Jones, after livestreaming the Koran's "trial"

"If you want to be technical, I guess we broke our word. We thought twice about it."

Terry Jones, this week

April 12, 2011 12:28 PM Forum: Refractors

Tough Decision - Keep FS128 or SV115-APO?

Posted By Robert Schmall

If you truly cannot decide, sell the one that will bring more money.
Bob

May 8, 2011 01:13 PM Forum: Religion

Does religion make people better?

Posted By Robert Schmall

I think that it is, provided that the tenets of the religion are followed and not corrupted. For example, Islam is a religion of peace (read Malcolm X's autobiography) that has been grossly distorted by 15% of its adherents. Protestantism has been affected by a fringe who practice hatred while preaching love, e.g. burning Qurans. Catholicism has historically been weakened by its own anti-Semitism. There are many more examples from all faiths, with the possible exception of Buddhism.

The core dogmas of all religions have to do with the actions and beliefs necessary to be a successful human being, whether they lead to heaven, nirvana, or just the grave. In that respect, any religion followed faithfully does more good than harm.

If you care to know, I was raised Catholic.

May 20, 2011 08:45 PM Forum: SCI-FI

Favorite Movies: Favorite Moments

Posted By Robert Schmall

Scott Mellis said:

Would enjoy hearing about some great movie moments.

Two shuttles lifting off simultaneously and flying into space 200 yards apart to rescue us from "Armageddon." Definitely a goose-bump moment.

Especially for those of us who prize scientific accuracy. NASA people use that film as a trainer for spotting errors and so far the count is 168.

May 20, 2011 08:47 PM Forum: SCI-FI

Favorite Movies: Favorite Moments

Posted By Robert Schmall

Scott Mellis said:

Would enjoy hearing about some great movie moments.

Hill Street Blues about 25 years ago: cop has just expounded on the benefits of modern society when the pop machine refuses to dispense his purchase. As he is beating on it another character says: "Open the pod bay doors, Hal."

June 18, 2011 02:41 PM Forum: Religion

Religion in public schools....

Posted By Robert Schmall

Whose ethics and morals?

July 2, 2011 01:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

July 6, 2011 03:04 PM Forum: Politics

Long form a fake?

Posted By Robert Schmall

Check out that site and consider the source of the story before accepting it.

September 5, 2011 06:57 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Plastic Models?

Posted By Robert Schmall

Since we live in an RV our space is limited. My wife has further limited me to two scopes with mount and stuff, so there's not a lot of room for other hobbies. I started modeling a couple of years ago--the equipment fits beneath the bed-- and am working on all the planes that flew at Midway in June '42. I also subscribe to FSM, which is authoritative but VERY repetitive. The quality of finished models is far, far advanced from years ago, especially the painting. Ditto the price: it's entirely possible to drop $200 on an aftermarket accessoried model.
Bob