My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Dennis Sheridan

April 3, 2006 11:23 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Moding a Plastic Meade Focuser FWIW

Posted By Dennis Sheridan

I'll keep that in mind should my NT focuser go ca-ca pooey.

I'm working on a 1 1/4 AJ focuser casting I got from the Surplusshed. Somebody really cocked up the machining job, the rack trough was off line. So I opened a pocket around where the shaft goes through, took a piece of the end of a rubber stopper and ground it down and slipped it on a piece of 1/4" bar stock and pinned it so it wouldn't spin on the shaft. The shaft is locked in the casting with washers and cotter pins and has a couple of knobs for electronic equip. on it for now. When I get her all finitoed I'll snap a couple of pretties and post'um.

April 7, 2006 10:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

FIRST ON THE MOON ??

Jocularity, jocularity, jocularity. wink

April 8, 2006 11:55 PM Forum: Telescope Making

A dream trino-mount setup

OOOK, but what I'd like to know is did you pass the final exam before you ripped off the desk. wink grin

April 10, 2006 11:05 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Meade 114NT MONSTER project

Looks good now that I can see the whole magilla. I'm working at it from a slightly different angle. I'm building a small Dobs mount that will pivot around a central 2" pipe pier.

When I've got her done (hopefully soon) I'll take a few pics and post'um.

April 20, 2006 10:53 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

04-20-06 Owl nest update! Close up!

Look at them toe nails. wink

May 23, 2006 09:44 PM Forum: Telescope Making

a few questions

I'm new at this astronomy thing too but I will try answer what I can.

The push/pull screws are seperate from each other, one set pushes and on set pulls. In other words in the mirror plate you should have some thread inserts (T-nuts) into which screws (pull) that go through the bottom of the cell with a spring in between.

The push screws have their threads in the cell bottom and go up and push up on the mirror plate. Thus one set (usually 3 in each set, depending on mirror size) pulls down and the other pushes up thus holding the mirror in place.

As for the tubing you might try this web site http://www.magnumrockets.com/airtube.html scroll down to Public Missles, they have some 7.51' tubing but the shipping could be a killer.

May 23, 2006 09:53 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Making an objective cell...

If you could find some PVC or ABS that just fit in the tube (might have to sand it down a little) and cut some thin rings. These could be glued in place with the lense between.

June 26, 2006 09:58 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Darker Iris...

That is gorgeoso!

July 11, 2006 09:56 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Yellow Warbler

Nicely done.

July 12, 2006 10:50 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

A few questions from a lost soul.

Kevin:

I wouldn't waste my time on the copyscope. I got a big ole 80mm lens from the Surplus Shed (4# of glass & alum.) and have gone through several permutations and all I have to show for are a lot of PVC & CPVC parts and pieces.

These lenes have a rather short FL and make for a very stubby and in my case a rather heavy piece to perch on even a good camera tripod.

If you are looking to build a scope then look in the Sheds objective lens section. They have a couple of nice 80mm air spaced doublets, fully coated and in plastic cells. One of the lenes has an FL of 400mm and the other is 900mm. These would make a much better scope for about the same cash outlay.

Just the ramblings of of an old retired GI.

Be carefull out there.