New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Pete Samsury

April 6, 2005 02:05 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Which 1.25 Diagonal?

Posted By Pete Samsury

Hi David,

To answer your question specifically, I use a Lumicon 1.25" diagonal and the Pan 19mm combination in my 8" SCT. I find it to be a great configuration. Outstanding on DSO's. I recently did a swap-check-swap with my 18mm Radian and the Pan 19mm. The Pan 19mm was the best of that pair, but the eye relief is a problem for me.

Pete

Pete

April 28, 2005 03:09 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Last observing night - until August

Posted By Pete Samsury

Hi Inge,

Well now that you have a lot of time on your hands and Herb seems to be creating Forum Managers......are you interested? Maybe the Double Star Forum instead?

I have always enjoyed and respected your insights and even-handed comments. You have not only interest in observing, but also the physics of double stars. (That's about as heavy as I can lather on the encouragement!)

How about it?

Pete

February 22, 2006 03:48 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Orion Mini 15X63 vs Pentax 12X60's

Posted By Pete Samsury

Hi Mike,

I have a pair of Pentax 16 x 60, the earlier PCF V. They are very light weight and easlily handholdable. I have used them in daylight, which gives you an instant check on alignment, no eyestrain or headache. And they are inexpensive. The newer WP version are some what more money. They have two position eyepieces which I use as a eyeglass wearer, and a focus lock. On a recent trip, a dealer who does not handle the Pentax Line indicated that they were superior to the Orion line which he does carry.

The most I've ever used for support is a simple monopod. I usually just find a post, a tree or a lawn chair for viewing.

I have recently completed the AL Binocular Messier List with these from less than ideal conditions north of Dallas. I lack but 8 items on the Binocular Deep Sky List.

I also use Pentax Sport Optics 8 x 24 and they are outstanding as well.

Lest you think I'm a Pentax freak, I use TeleView eyepieces almost exclusively on my telescopes.

Having said all that, I'm afraid I will need more light gathering ability to complete the Deep Sky list from my location. Have you tried any 70 or 80mm objectives?

Pete

April 11, 2006 05:59 PM Forum: Refractors

Red Dot finder VS 9 X 50

Posted By Pete Samsury

Hi Tim,

I recently got a 10" Dob. I replaced the original 9x50 with a right angle correct image 9x50. I found that much better, but since the rest of my scopes use a red dot, I added a red dot. It may be considered overkill by some, but now it's quick and easy. Set the start point with the red dot; star hop with the 9x50; and view.

It may be that because I'm in a light pollution area north of Dallas that this set up works well.

Pete

May 7, 2006 10:43 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Best daytime eyepieces

Posted By Pete Samsury

I'm in the middle of the AL Sunspotter program and have been using my usual collection of Radians for close up sunspot work. I'm using my old NexStar 5 rather than the NexStar 8. I also have made one observation with a 10" Dob.

I usually wear glasses at night, but have been using the adjustable feature on the Radians with the extended (rather than folded) eyecup.

Pete

May 26, 2006 01:26 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Deep sky with binoculars

Posted By Pete Samsury

I use The Sky v5 with the appropriate FOV indicators. The display can be set to whatever magnitude you like and various DSO's can be turned on or off to allow the marker star patterns to show. I use 16x60 Pentax's

It also works very well with the 9x50 finder on my 10" Dob.

A great piece of software that I've had for several years.

Pete

September 14, 2006 07:56 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

!!! Stargazing from Big Bend National park!!!

Posted By Pete Samsury

Hello,

You may want to visit the McDonald Observatory at Fort Davis as well. We were fortunate enough to get reservations to view through the 82" Telescope this past April as part of a visit.

The skies there are also pristine!

Pete

October 24, 2006 05:16 PM Forum: Celestron

NEXTAR 11 will not track - HELP!

Posted By Pete Samsury

I do not have the GPS Model, but have experienced a similar problem with my NexStar 8 when I have inadvertently entered the wrong date/year.

Pete

April 6, 2007 06:12 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

DSO guide book recommendation

Posted By Pete Samsury

The Night Sky Observer's Guide is my favorite.

Pete

June 8, 2007 07:38 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Pentax binocs

Posted By Pete Samsury

Robert,

I have used an older pair of 16x60 Pentax (the generation prior to Water Resistant (WR)). The 'narrow view, 2.7 degrees' was the main complaint posted about those glasses. However they are very light weight, hand holdable, inexpensive, and give outstanding images. They are perfectly aligned, as daytime viewing will attest. I have used them to complete both the Binocular Deep Sky and Binocular Messier Certificates from the Astronomical League. 99% of the viewing was from my suburban Dallas backyard. You have a winner and should not feel any inferiority!

Pete