Posts Made By: Paul Shin

May 31, 2006 09:40 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Rain Gear for a 10" Dob

Posted By Paul Shin

I’m planning to take my 10” dob to a star party this weekend, and since it will be my first time, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to quickly cover the scope in the event of passing rain showers. I was hoping to find something that will cover the entire scope including the dob mount. Any comments and / or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. smile

June 15, 2006 01:39 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

70mm Pronto Versus 10" Dob

Posted By Paul Shin

I currently own a 10” dob and was thinking about purchasing a used 70mm Televue Pronto (see below link for telescope details). I enjoy the views from my dob, but like the portability of the Pronto. My question is.... Can the Pronto, with only 70mm aperture be used for deep skyviewing? I have read several reviews touting how well the Pronto performs. Also, how would it compare to my 10” dob? Any comments and / or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. smile

http://www.company7.com/televue/telescopes/pronto.html

June 17, 2006 10:06 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

91% Alcohol for EP Cleaning

Posted By Paul Shin

Would it be okay to use 91% alcohol for EP cleaning? I check the local pharmacies and 91% is the highest they have. Any comments and / or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. smile

July 13, 2006 08:03 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Shipping Question

Posted By Paul Shin

I’m thinking about upgrading from a 10” dob to an 8” or 10” SCT. However, I can’t seem to find a used one here in Hawaii. Also, many of the ones I’ve considered on Astromart unfortunately, but understandably did not provide shipping to Hawaii. My question is.... If I purchase a used SCT while in the mainland, what would be the best way to bring it back home? Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated smile

Thanks,
Paul

July 25, 2006 09:13 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Help w/ Condensation Inside Front Lens

Posted By Paul Shin

I’m was thinking about purchasing a used Televue Pronto, but after inspection, I noticed what appeared to be dried condensation build-up on the inside of the front lens. As I already own a 10” dob, I was planning to use this scope for daytime viewing or as a quick set-up scope. My question is.... Can the front lens be disassembled and cleaned? If the answer is no, could the scope still be usable for day or night viewing? Unfortunately, when I viewed the scope, there were no eyepieces so I couldn’t test it out. As always, any comments and / or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Paul smile

August 11, 2006 02:31 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Full Moon + Sunglasses = Good Views

Posted By Paul Shin

After reading the thread on the eye patch, which I plan to try (I think my daughter got on eye patch from McDonald’s “Pirate of the Caribbean Happy Meal”), I thought I would share my experience. Last night, while viewing the full moon, I used polarized sunglasses (I don’t own a moon filter). The view was pretty good and I didn’t go blind. I’m I the only crazy guy out here? :S

September 15, 2006 09:31 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

10" DOB or 8" SCT

Posted By Paul Shin

I currently have a 10” dob that I’m selling on Astromart. The only reason I’m selling the dob is because I have an opportunity to purchase a used 8” LX 90 SCT w/ UHTC & LNT. Here on the islands, there are no telescope dealers and shipping to Hawaii is very expensive. I’ve gotten quite a few responses for my dob outside of Hawaii, however, I’m only allow for local pickup. A local Astromarter recommended that I list it in the local astronomy club’s newsletter or show it at the monthly club outings. I think that’s a great idea. Anyhow, I need help deciding whether I’m better off with what I have (10” dob) or will I benefit greatly from the LX 90. At this time, I don’t plan on doing any astrophotography. Also, from my understanding, in order to use the LNT (Level North Technology), you need to locate Polaris. Unfortunately, I live in a valley where I’m unable to see Polaris. The main benefit of the LX 90, from my point of view is portability of the OTA and better planetary viewing. Since I live in a heavily light polluted area, deep space viewing is not great. Any comments and / or suggestion will be greatly appreciated as I need to make a decision soon. Thanks in advance smile

September 25, 2006 11:39 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Need Help Locating Telescope Retailers in California

Posted By Paul Shin

I’m planning a trip to California and was wondering if there are any telescope retailers near Disneyland (Anaheim) and / or Legoland (Carlsbad)? Also, are there any astronomy related places to visit? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance smile

December 9, 2006 01:01 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

EZ Finder II or Telrad

Posted By Paul Shin

Need help deciding between Orion’s EZ Finder II or a Telrad. I was leaning towards the EZ Finder mainly because I can mount it directly to the dovetail base on my 10” Orion dob. On the other hand, with the Telrad, I would still have use of my existing magnified finder scope. Any comments and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Paul smile

December 21, 2006 02:09 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Need Help Deciding Which EP to Get

Posted By Paul Shin

I’m looking to purchase a low powered EP and need help deciding which would work best for my 10” dob (1,200mm f/4.7). I was thinking about something between 30mm to 40mm. I generally view from a heavily light polluted area, but do attend monthly star parties where the light pollution is not as severe. Also, since I have a 2” focuser, should I get a 2” EP? The only problem I can see with getting a 2” EP is that I would have to get two sets of filters as I already have several 1 ¼” EPs. Any comments and or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! Aloha from Hawaii, Paul smile