My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ray Montgomery

September 11, 2002 03:49 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Equitorial Mount opinions

Posted By Ray Montgomery

I am in the market to buy a equitorial mount for a 120mm refractor. The primary use will be for visual observing. I am looking at the celestron CG-5 and some of the orion equitorial mounts. I really do not want to buy a high end mount but would like to get the most bang for the buck. Ideally I would like to spend between $200.00 to $500.00. If anyone has used one of these mounts or another mount I would like to get your opinions.

Thanks, Ray

August 3, 2003 11:23 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Miyauchi 60mm binoculars

Posted By Ray Montgomery

Has anyone had any experience using the miyauchi 60mm, 45 degree binoculars. I am thinking of buying a pair and would like to hear opinions. Also, opinions of other angled binocular in the 50mm to 80mm range would be great. My goal is to find something that I can mount on a standard photo tripod.

Thanks
Ray

October 20, 2003 08:15 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Focal Reducer Information

Posted By Ray Montgomery

I need some information. I want to make a focal reducer for a SCT. Something with 50mm aperture. I understand that these can be made using an achromat as long as the correct focal length and spacing is used. Has anyone in the group made one? I have a large number of surplus optics and could proceed by trial and error, but if I could get some basic information it would save me a lot of work.

Thanks
Ray

February 19, 2004 07:43 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Used 102 selling on astromart

Posted By Ray Montgomery

Add from astromart:
"Burgess 102mm f/6 achromat refractor ota w/mounting rings. Full aperture views stars are nice pin points. c.a. is there on Venus and Jupiter but well controlled and no color on wide field views."

As I understand it, all of the 102mm refractors have been sold as is and have lens problems. They are also stopped down to limit the amount of C.A. So is it safe to say this add from astromart is "not accurate" in it's discription? The selling of these "as is" products is not good and will only make it dificult for anyone who buys a used burgess optical scope.

July 21, 2004 04:43 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Update on the 20x100 Binoculars?

Posted By Ray Montgomery

Does anyone have an update on when the new, light weight 20x100 binoculars will be available?

Thanks
Ray

June 16, 2004 08:34 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Burgess 20 x 100

Posted By Ray Montgomery

Update on 20 x 100

I talked with Tammy at BO this week, these binoculars will be at least another month wait.

Ray